Super yoter issues

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpV223, I'm confused now. Are you showing us pictures of the SY or the Trail 2?

Pics are of SY groups. I shot at the handwarmer with my Pulsar first though.Those are the 2 on the top edge favoring the left side. All other groups are SY.

I should add shots at handwarmer were is a 15 to 20 mph right to left crosswind.

Last edited:
The huge tracking jumps with a single 1x click that return when the coordinates are switched back indicate a non mechanical software or screen type issue which I know absolutely nothing about lol.

Last edited:
varminter 223

I don't have a Super Yoter, so mostly I just read this thread out of curiosity. I do have a Hogster 35R with the Bobro mount. I have not experienced any issues with it holding zero. It has been very reliable.

Now as to why I replied to this thread. It was asked about a Thermion holding zero. At least for me, with my one unit, I can speak to that.

2 years ago I had saved up and bought a Trail XQ50 LRF. Pretty much right from the beginning I had shifting POI issues. Very significant POI shifts. I do lots of precision rifle shooting and a rock solid zero is important for me. I did lots of testing using a very accurate, repeatable rifle and documented my issues thoroughly. My dealer backed me up on it and I got a full refund from Pulsar. After reading about all the Trail POI shifting issues I just was not ready to go back down that road. The Trail 2's were not out yet and not expected for 6 months or better.

To replace the Trail I got a Thermion XQ50 with the dual lever American Defense QD mount. Over the last 18 months I have tested that unit hard. On the gun, off the gun, hot, cold, swapped around on different rifles using different zeroing profiles, you name it. There may have been a few minor shifts here or there that could easily be attributed to poor shooter form, a freshly cleaned rifle, or some other type of issue that can happen with any optic (thermal or daylight). But by and large it has stayed zeroed exactly where I put it and I have not seen anything that has made me question the optic itself.

After my initial experience with the Trail shifting zero it took quite a bit for me to trust this Thermion fully. But I do now and never give it a thought any more. I have killed over 150 pigs and coyotes with it in the last 18 months or so. Ranges from 26 yards to well over 300. It has been solid for me, I trust it.

That doesn't mean someone else somewhere may not be having issues with one. I can only speak for me.

Varminter. Are the problems occurring when you zoom in or is it just when you turn on the scope and shoot through the normal zoom? Also do you notice any difference when you shoot through the normal zoom vs when you shoot through the Picture in Picture? I own two SY and am curious.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXvarminter 223

I don't have a Super Yoter, so mostly I just read this thread out of curiosity. I do have a Hogster 35R with the Bobro mount. I have not experienced any issues with it holding zero. It has been very reliable.

Now as to why I replied to this thread. It was asked about a Thermion holding zero. At least for me, with my one unit, I can speak to that.

2 years ago I had saved up and bought a Trail XQ50 LRF. Pretty much right from the beginning I had shifting POI issues. Very significant POI shifts. I do lots of precision rifle shooting and a rock solid zero is important for me. I did lots of testing using a very accurate, repeatable rifle and documented my issues thoroughly. My dealer backed me up on it and I got a full refund from Pulsar. After reading about all the Trail POI shifting issues I just was not ready to go back down that road. The Trail 2's were not out yet and not expected for 6 months or better.

To replace the Trail I got a Thermion XQ50 with the dual lever American Defense QD mount. Over the last 18 months I have tested that unit hard. On the gun, off the gun, hot, cold, swapped around on different rifles using different zeroing profiles, you name it. There may have been a few minor shifts here or there that could easily be attributed to poor shooter form, a freshly cleaned rifle, or some other type of issue that can happen with any optic (thermal or daylight). But by and large it has stayed zeroed exactly where I put it and I have not seen anything that has made me question the optic itself.

After my initial experience with the Trail shifting zero it took quite a bit for me to trust this Thermion fully. But I do now and never give it a thought any more. I have killed over 150 pigs and coyotes with it in the last 18 months or so. Ranges from 26 yards to well over 300. It has been solid for me, I trust it.

That doesn't mean someone else somewhere may not be having issues with one. I can only speak for me.

Your experience with the thermion has been exactly what I have experienced. Set it and forget it. I ran the Thermion XP50 for 2 seasons and never once had to make an adjustment...it didn't matter whether it was hot, cold, daytime, night time, summer or winter...when I would just check it to see...it was always only a one shot check...dead on where it was set from the beginning...and when I say dead on, it is exactly dead on...not this 1/2", 3/4" or more off stuff...dead on! I upgraded to a Thermion 2 XP50 this year and it has been the same...I have not had to change from my original settings that were done in September and I have checked it twice so far and it is dead on...again...not just close enough...I mean dead on! In fact I just checked it today before posting this and it is currently 12* with a 14mph wind that puts it close to 0* windchill and it's exactly dead on.
The other convenience of the Thermion is the fact that it will mount on a bolt rifle or AR with no extra extended rails needed and you really don't need any special kind of mount. I just use a set of 30mm scope rings and that's it. The videos are very good and sharp and the internal audio is good and clear. The Thermion 2 XP50 has a slightly clearer image over the straight Thermion XP50, but a lot of people may not notice it. As for batteries being an issue, I have never run out of battery running it for 6-8 hours and using the sleep mode a lot when on stand...I honestly think I could get 10 hours of run time doing it this way. I am using the APS3 battery and carry the APS2 as backup, but have never had to change batteries.
So I guess I am a Thermion fan and this is not just internet BS...my hunting buddy will back this up and he too is running a Thermion XP50 with the same experiences. For the record, I started out with a Trail XQ38 and ran it for 3 years and never experienced any POI shifting with it.
I wouldn't mind trying a Super Yoter at some time but for now things are working.

Gene

My hunting partner runs a Thermion XP50 and has been for a couple of years. I don't believe he has ever had to make any adjustments to the zero. He had two Trails prior to that and while neither of them were subject to zero shifts, the picture was pretty bad on the second one and worse on the first. Sightmark did him a good deal on replacing those with the Thermion XP50 and also added discount for his military service.

Ditto on the thermion. 3rd winter for mine . I do check it in the fall and it hits where it should. I shoot at thermal tape and get 1 moa full screen and 1/2 inch using the pip.

Sad part is I dropped a pile of money on this yoter to escape the Trail shift issue. Now I have a scope that without a doubt shifts be it the mount or the scope itself. I'm gonna contact Bering. I payed for a properly working unit and that's what I want. I'm not gonna play the ship it back and forth game. They need to test it and if they can't imo they should send me a new unit. I think I have plenty of documentation of issues both shift and poor tracking. Im not gonna just go away.

Last edited:
Spoke with Bering today and after a short conversation on the issue they said they would get a label out so I can return it and they will just exchange it for a new one. If the replacement does the same thing then I guess something else is up or that's just the way they are.

Last edited:
I hope there’s no problem with next one. Glad they are trying to rectify things. Did they make any mention of what they thought the problem may be?

No I never tried to dive into what could be wrong as I'm sure the individual I spoke with wouldn't know anyway. It will be interesting to see how the new one pans out. I hate to be the guy that blames everyone or thing but himself but I'm at a point where I didn't know what else to try.
I've had rifles change poi a small amount in between shooting sessions but nothing like this. This was full-blown Trail style shift.

Last edited:
Yea man. Been down that road with the trails. Bought this yoter with full confidence that I wouldn’t be dealing with something like that again. So far mine seems ok. There were some things that concerned me while shooting it but nothing drastic at this point. Haven’t really messed with it enough to know if was me or the scope. Believe me, I hope it was me. Good luck and keep us posted how this plays out.

Got my replacement yoter in yesterday. I mounted it on the same 22 Nosler in the same rail slot with the same mount tightness. Shot it at 50 yards off of the bench and in 3 base power adjustments I had it about 1" low shooting at a 1" piece of foil which showed up really well as cold in the dark against cardboard with no bloom. I moved back to my 100 yard bench and shot 2. One was absolute dead center and the other about .5" right of the first. The unit seemed to track as it should. My buddy even broke it in last night by killing a big make coyote with it. I will see how poi holds over the next couple days.

Last edited:
Let the gun sit on sleep mode on my 11 degree porch for a while this morning then shot one at base power and one at 2x at the same 1" piece of foil off of the same bench and rest. They were probably less that .5" apart and just under the foil. Without measuring I'd say no more than 1" under the existing 2 shots from my original zero last night. I walked to the berm in between shots and nuc'd it before the second shot. So far this is a completely animal from my first scope. I will probably shoot it again this evening.

I'm relieved to hear the new Yoter seems to be checking out for you! Not much more frustrating but a [beeep] good feeling when the replacement shoots right.

Putting this up for V223.

yALtITGl.png

Thanks 204 AR

Seems the replacement yoter is still shifting just like my first one.

Purple is original zero in low 20's last Thursday in the dark.

All later shots were in daylight.

Blue is next morning in low teens.

Green is this morning in mid 20's.

All three above groups were cold gun and cold ammo and scope was turned on and on sleep mode while chilling on porch.

Red is today after I took the gun and ammo in the house for about 20 minutes to warm everything up after shooting the green.

I then let the gun cool on the bench for 15 minutes or so but kept the ammo warm. I then shot the yellow.

The two with the white line were shot after letting the ammo cool on the bench along with the gun.

Between this replacement unit, my original and 2 of my buddies we have 4 that will not hold zero and seem to have mainly vertical issues. I measured the center of the high right group and low left group at 2.5". All initial adjustments were done at base mag and have not been changed.

Last edited:
Back