Best bang for my “buck” $400 optic?

Dultimatpredator

Well…lesson learned. I had a Nikon warranted out last winter. I love…loved, my Nikon’s so I found a Monarch 3, 2.5-10 bdc to replace the other optic with. The scope came with NIB with a broken screw snapped off inside the turret. Long story short I sent it BP back in to Nikon. They couldn’t perform the repair and are going to reimburse me the suggested retail of $399. This scope came off a close quarters deer rile that will probably never get shot over 200 yards. I still prefer a “BDC” since I’m use to using them. I am optic shopping and hoping to find a 2.5-10 or 2.5-?. I like the wide field of view if I have a deer running or trotting by at close range. I’m sure 3x would work but I’ve grown accustom to the 2.5-10 since I have 3 monarchs and a 2.5-10 pro staff 5. I have looked at vortex viper HS. Looks like the best price is $400 for the plain old plex at Midway. Also Burris makes a 2.5-10 for around $169. Any other suggestions? I wouldn’t mind looking at the trijicon mid dot original fiber optic sights in 3-9 or 2.5-10 even though it’s a price hike.

You might want to take a look at the Athlon Argos 2-12. I have two with the BDC reticle. I like it a lot, price is under $300 at Cameralandny.

The Athlon looks interesting. Looks like there is a lot going on with the side focus and light up recicle for a close range deer gun for me. I like the fast focus eye pieces of the Nikon since I had Lasik surgery. I was looking at the trijicon accepting 3-9 and 2.5-10 amber mil dots this morning. 3-9 I found for just under $550 and the 2.5-10 for a $100 more. I don’t think they are very popular anymore as you don’t hear much about them. The vortex BDC has “alot” more going on with hatch marks on the sides of the reclicle vs the Nikon’s I’m use to. I can say the 2.5-10 plain old Cross hair for $400 at midway does fit my budget. Burris has more goofy things going on in their version of the “BDC” as well. Wonder how the glass compares in the two optics? I ordered a 3-9 trijicon amber mil dot years ago. The crosshairs had solder marks all over them in low light so I see it back. I would almost get another since it’s light weight but I don’t want to feell handicapped at 3x if a close range deer jumped up and ran.

I do have a leupold silver 4x ER optic I’ll never use. I figure I can sell off to put towards a better optic if needed. That’s where the Trijicon would come into play. I’m wonder how the low light brightness and clearness is of the Trijicon is vs the vortex?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSYou might want to take a look at the Athlon Argos 2-12.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a Nikon as well, but prefer the Argos.

Back