How much crap do we need to kill a coyote?

docjon2013

Hello everyone,
I have hunted coyotes a long time and things sure have changed on what you need to kill a coyote. Now I am talking daytime calling. What happened to grabbing your gun, shooting sticks, calls or caller and going? Now it seems like everyone has a go back they take with them. I am not knocking it but really? Who stills just grabs a gun and goes calling? I don't know maybe I am getting old and like things simpler.

Have a good one.
Jon

Last edited:
No it is still the same but many have been convinced that the more gear you have the better your odds of getting a coyote.

I'm getting older and need a chair instead of sitting on the ground

Last edited:
Yeah I agree I just never saw the need in that other stuff. Now have friends that when we get out of the truck it takes them 5 minutes to load up and leave and I just smile at them. Its whatever gives you the confidence I guess.

My dad was from Sand Springs. He was on the team that won state many many moons ago. I am about to get me a stool to make it easier on my bum knee.

Originally Posted By: docjon2013I am looking for a chair myself. What are you using? I need something sturdy, big guy at 309.
I am a small one, 5'9" 165lbs and I use a lo-rise shooting chair most people use for turkey. It gets me about 8 inches off the ground and has a back rest.
I'm only 81 as of last May.

I've got a backpack that keeps a caller and remote (along with other miscellaneous BS. (Stocking hats, gloves, extra batteries). Other than that it's a gun and my triggerstick bipod. I have an 8 year old to caddy that for me.

Hand calls, homemade shooting sticks, turkey feather on a stick for a decoy, cushion, and rifle is all I ever use. Have a foxpro, but haven’t used it in years.

I don't shoot many coyotes during the year but for my style of "run and gun" wolf hunting it is a rifle with a low power variable scope, ONE closed reed ironwood mouth call hanging around my neck (From Bob Patrick/RareEarthCalls here on this site)and my backcountry/mountain survival gear stuffed in my backpack. I don't even wear camo, just my 20yr old bright orange Dickies hunting coat, warm pants and a Filson hat. NOTHING ELSE.

Light, fast, and very effective!
smile.gif

A rifle, sticks, seat, caller, and binos in my chest pack, each serve a very important purpose that increase my success. Why does it bother some people how much stuff other people take on stand? If you feel it helps your success go for it.

I like having all the stuff and then perfecting my system to be able to carry as little as possible so I can get further without tiring myself out. Usually it's a lanyard of handcalls, rifle on a bipod, tough pants so I don't need a seat and that's it. Still have all the gadgets and do-dads to take out but always go back to minimalist setups.

Originally Posted By: skinneyA rifle and a blade of grass to squawk with, is about all ya need I reckon.

i aint got time to be fkn with a blade of grass. suckin on the back of my hand works fine. and a knife is lighter than a rifle. your welcome.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: skinneyA rifle and a blade of grass to squawk with, is about all ya need I reckon.

i aint got time to be fkn with a blade of grass. suckin on the back of my hand works fine. and a knife is lighter than a rifle. your welcome.

Ok U win.
thumbup.gif

Back