Temperature sensitivities for powders

Good info here and food for thought. I don't tend to shoot (rifles, anyway) or hunt in hot weather and my area doesn't have extremely cold weather (we love it if it is actually freezing or below, hunting is usually better), so I guess it's never been a big issue. But something to keep in mind if say, I were going to hunt elsewhere in temps colder than are typical for me. My most used rifle powders recently have been AA-2230 (.223), Reloder 15 (.308), and H-4350 (6.5 Rem. Mag.). I know none of those are "stabilized" powders, but how do those tend to rate on the sensitivity scale?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6GUNSONLYGood info here and food for thought. I don't tend to shoot (rifles, anyway) or hunt in hot weather and my area doesn't have extremely cold weather (we love it if it is actually freezing or below, hunting is usually better), so I guess it's never been a big issue. But something to keep in mind if say, I were going to hunt elsewhere in temps colder than are typical for me. My most used rifle powders recently have been AA-2230 (.223), Reloder 15 (.308), and H-4350 (6.5 Rem. Mag.). I know none of those are "stabilized" powders, but how do those tend to rate on the sensitivity scale?

H4350 is actually one of the most stable powders out there right up with Varget. I have heard mixed opinions on RL15, I have 5 lbs but havent tested it yet. Not sure about 2230, is it ball or extruded?

Loading up to max is the problem with some powders in the heat of summer. I have never had a problem with W748 with lead core bullets. Solid copper/gilding metal bullets, yes.

Only problem with powder I have had was with H380,worked load in winter and following summer accuracy went to [beeep] in a hand basket,Varget ever since for me.Was in 22-250 with 55 V MAX

Originally Posted By: Bob_Atlhere's another chart, found it on the 6.5 G forum, again fwiw..
2350.jpg

and took the previous chart then sorted it, twice....
no surprise these two charts are very close but not exact !!

2352.png

Could you provide a link as to where these charts originated? TIA

I came across a box of Berger 25gr MEF and had some Varget left over and decided to work up a load to see how it would do. The combo shot very well and clean up was straight forward . I'm concerned about the comment regarding Varget burning very hot and thinking I should reconsider. If so what would be better.
Rigle is a Rem 700 classic in 17 Rem.
Thanks

I didn't even know, which isn't surprising considering what my chemistry grade was in class. The thing is, I keep the ammo in my safe, which is located in my room in front of the radiator. The only thing I know is that the shelf life of ammunition can be from 20 to 30 years, and the conditions of storage of gunpowder, etc., I have not even thought about it. I think the ideal temperature is created by the same radiator that is behind the safe and if you want you can get more info about old-style radiators, which creates the right temperature inside.

Last edited:
Back