Advanced coyote technique...

GC

I discovered a new strategy a few years ago when I bought a small farm. Living and working around coyotes lead me to a discovery so effective I hesitate to pass it along on a public forum. Coyotes get enough pressure, this technique could decimate their populations. With that said, in the tradition of passing along solid information to help new hunters here it goes...

I break my outline up by sitting in my truck. Coyotes barely notice you in the front seat of an F250. My scent is mixed so thoroughly with all the various scents of the truck, especially the exhaust fumes, it seems to overload a coyotes olfactory senses. To camouflage best it is necessary to pull a trailer with several round bales on the back. You can get by with a smaller piece of farm equipment on the trailer but there is no doubt in my mind that round bales are the best choice. I approach an area casually, and at an angle as if to pass close by, never directly at the spot I anticipate the coyote to be. Don't worry about skylining, your silhouette is familiar and blends into the daily landscape. Learn to position the truck in such a way that the side view mirror serves as a rifle rest. Having a good rest is essential for the long pokes that present themselves using this technique. I prefer bolt action rifles for this work, semi autos fling brass against the windshield and down the defroster vents. Have a good backstop, the sweet sound of a ricochet off frozen ground only serves to attract attention from neighbors who will want to come over and join the fun. Done correctly a coyote will often sit or stand and simply watch you until the bullet arrives. After a good shot go gather him up and head for the barn. Don't forget to pose the coyote for some nice pictures so you can post on the 'Net about your coyote killing skills. Everybody enjoys a good hunting story, wink wink. Have gun, will travel!

Disclaimer: This post may be for entertainment purposes and not meant as an actual instructional post. Check all local laws before attempting any such techniques. Mr. Greenjeans might not be in full agreement about your interpretation of the law. The Warden's appreciation for the skills necessary to pull this technique off successfully and his sense of humor may be different than your own. Arguing as to the game wardens sense of humor in court seldom is a good strategy to beat a ticket. Have fun and be safe.

My mentor! I learned to always buy a truck with GPS so I won't get as lost on my 70 acres. I mean it's certain that a feller going afield in such a large tract of land is going to get turned around on occasion. With GPS it makes it possible follow your trail so you notice on the fifth trip through that area that you are going in circles. Knowing that makes it easier to find the path home. Good strong headlights help also. And a loud horn on the truck. Always be sure to test this life saving equipment before venturing far from the barnlot. Struggling with unfamiliar gear at night in the back 40 can be very stressful. Keep your cool and use your cell phone, or just yell real loud, to make contact with someone at home base camp. Pathfinders lead the way!

The most surefire method for coyotes I know is brush hogging,they will be in a field mousing before you make 2 rounds and do not run from the tractor,they will usually just watch you drive by,same thing when cutting hay around here.Not near as much fun as calling though.

That is high praise. I'm glad you understood the gist of it, thank you. I'm afraid that others sense of humor may not have dissected the piece in the spirit it was given.

Last edited:
That's actually a viable plan. I met a 90+ yo gentleman that hunted from an air conditioned, heated enclosed cab John Deere Tractor. He was always out in the nastiest wet, coldest weather, snug in his heated cab. He kept his large family freezers filled with venison. He used a Browning Bar 30-06. Deer had seen and heard tractors since being a fawn so they were not alarmed by the tractor. After shooting a deer he simply called and had a son or grandson come out and drag the deer into the front end loader. He also killed several coyotes incidental to his deer hunting. The old boy had it figured out!

Lots of good information GC....usually if Your out with No Gun available is when You see the most Coyotes...and as Terry mentioned, brush hogging or cutting hay is a sure fire way to have a Predator come out....I have set in many hay fields and called in a Coyote or just sat quietly and they come out and are easy picking.

The other good way to see a Coyote is opening weekend of Deer Season....I've had to pass on several Coyotes because I didn't want to ruin my chances of getting a Deer.Now if a Coyote is chasing or trailing a Deer they might not get a Free Pass?

Certainly this has been an enlightening thread on a different front.

Last edited:
w00t.gif

Back