Anyone using a 17 WSM, or 17 hornet on coyotes or groundhogs?

Ohiolongarm

I've had real good success with the 17 WSM, so much so that, I upgraded to a 17 hornet for the additional range it will handle. I've dropped about 50 plus gh's this year and a half dozen yotes, the 17 hornet will get its chance this week.

What bullet weight are you shooting for coyotes? I don’t have either of the listed rifles but I do have a 17 Remington I have yet to try on coyotes. What distances have you taken coyotes at with the WSM? Thanks!

I use the 20 grain Hornady and 25 grain Hornady 17 WSM,my ranges were not extreme 85 to 105 yards, it did the job. I posted pictures of my kills on Long range hunting forum. The 17 hornet I've yet to shoot, it's at a gunsmith being bedded and pillars installed. It drops groundhogs at 200 if the shot is good, only one has made it to his hole this season, but was seen dead out of reach. I may post pictures here I have to read their policy first. I'd think a 17 Remington would be ideal

Last edited:
My CZ in 17 Hornet is one of my favorite groundhog rigs. It wears a 3x12 Nikon Monarch and is a GH killing machine. I'm at about 15 this year and about 10 have fallen to the Hornet. Long shot last year a lasered 227 yards. Dead right there. Using factory 20 grain V-max. Fabulous little rifles. Enjoy.

I carry a CZ 527 varmint .17 hornet as a calling gun and one of my boys carries a Ruger 77 .17wsm. both are tack drivers and have killed coyotes. Haven't lost any yet and hope not to. most of our shots are inside of 60 yards as we hunt a lot of cedar breaks and canyon land. No groundhogs or such here in southeast Colorado except prairie dogs but we've never spent much time sitting over a prairie dog town. We used to carry .223 and 22-250's but they are [beeep] on the little grey fox that we call in down in the canyons so we decided to play with the 17's. We have also used the HMR on stands which has killed coyotes for us but usually not before they make a 100 yard run or so before piling up. I have been thoroughly impressed with the WSM as well as the Hornet. The larger .22 cals now reside in the pickup and are still used but normally only for the longer shots that we may get on a coyote out in the prairie or between stands.

As far as a rimfire goes, the WSM is the only rimfire I will ever aim at a coyote… and the situation has to right for me to squeeze the trigger. I’ve killed a few with mine. But they’ve been 80 yards and in. I don’t know if I’d ever try it on the bigger structured coyotes up north. These smaller coyotes around my hometown I don’t see an issue with it, but again, it would have to be the right situation.

Pretty much all of the old timers around here that used to shoot foxes back in the day, carried a 22 mag. The WSM is a heck of a lot better fox medicine. I still hunt with a few of them around here and since they’ve got to know about the WSM they’ve fallen in love with it.

When we go calling foxes and even cats, I carry my WSM. Its just the perfect fox medicine for me.

Coyotes… eh. It’s not my first choice. If I were you, I’d much rather have a 17rem or hornet. Maybe even a 204. Neither my 204 or 17rem are hard on fox fur. And you’ve got a heck of a lot more speed and energy.

The first coyote I shot with it was around 125 yards. Believe it or not that little bullet passed through the ribs and exited on a broadside shot. I don't know if I threaded it between ribs or what but it ran a little ways and died. I've shot some with it since with body shots and haven't lost one. They've all ran but they were all lung shots so they didn't go far at all. It's a potent little round. The one I use is my buddies and I think I've killed more stuff with it than he has probably. I know I've shot more larger animals with it than he has for sure. Shot a grey fox with it once and a beaver and a few armadillos and skunks. And prairie dogs and whatnot. Haven't lost anything I've shot with it. In my opinion inside 100 yards it's a heck of a coyote cartridge. From what I've seen I don't doubt it'll kill one out to 150. And although I've only shot one fox with it I have to say it's about as good of a fox cartridge as you can ask for. I shot mine on the run at 60 yards as it was quartered to me and it dropped instantly. It's not rough on fur at all but will put those smaller animals down on the spot.

Last edited:
I have 17 WSM and 17 Hornet. They are both great for sage rat hunting, never shot at groundhogs or prairie dogs, so can't comment on that. 204 ruger is first pick for coyotes, mainly cause we get very few shots under two hundred yards, very open country for coyote hunting.

Back