Looking to chat with a Coyote Biologist.

skinney

Director
I'm looking to get into contact with a Coyote Biologist that would be interested in going into some details on a Coyotes lifecycle, breeding, dispersal, range, prey, basically everything.

Rich Higgins, not an actual coyote biologist but a wealth of knowledge and might be able to point you to an actual biologist... if he's still alive and in good health. He was out of AZ.

I suggest focusing on local info available, rather than chatting with a biologist in the west.

The SD Game, Fish, and Parks Dept. should have a predator/furbearer biologist. If they are not knowledgeable enough on coyotes, they should know a research biologist to put you in contact with.

If not, I'm sure somebody has probably put radio collars on a bunch of coyotes in SD to figure them out. The state wildlife agency should have a library for the results of past research projects.

I've looked into it at a state level, and am in direct contact with numerous GFP personnel, Actually have an Elk Stakeholders meeting this next week at the head office.

I'm more interested in someone who does know more than our local area, I'm sure states such as NE, WY, MT, ND, have either experienced or have research that provides additional info to what our state has documented.

Rich Higgins did some research along with some biologists" that had radio coats some coyotes in idaho or utah i believe. Thats why i recommended contacting him.

Originally Posted By: skinneyI'm looking to get into contact with a Coyote Biologist that would be interested in going into some details on a Coyotes lifecycle, breeding, dispersal, range, prey, basically everything.

I'm NOT a Biologist. However, I have some insight based upon my experiences. I believe dispersal/scattering of the yearlings. Is based upon when the alpha female comes into heat. One alpha pair I knew of. Was during the latter part of the 3rd week of December. When all of the pups left. Territory range from what I have detected is roughly 5-7/8 square miles in total mass. With over lapping boundries of neighboring territorial coyotes.

Last edited:
Back