Any tips on sounds for wolves or wolverine in Alaska?

SouthTXBowhunter

I’m about to head to Alaska to go hunting with a buddy in Fairbanks. He’s a very experienced Lynx hunter but we decided to get adventurous... we’re going to head way up north, deep into the Arctic circle to try for some additional species - Arctic Fox, wolf or Wolverine. I’m a very experienced S. Texas predator hunter but this is going to be a WHOLE lot different for me. Especially the 70°-100° temperature drop!! Anyway.... I’m looking for some sounds I can get to use targeting wolves and wolverine; but FoxPro doesn’t have much. Anyone have other suggestions on where to go look? I’m kinda thinking that some moose and caribou distress sounds would be really useful. What do yall think? I read that Feb is breeding time for wolves but I also heard they don’t respond well to wolf vocals. Would something like a female in estrous be any good or a breeding pair or challenge call be effective since I’ll be hunting at the very end of Jan?

Any help or tips I can get, from guys with experience in these 2 species, would sure be appreciated!

No experience whatsoever but I do know that wolverine do a lot of digging and would likely respond to rodent (marmot/woodchuck, ground squirrel, pica, mouse) sounds. Fawn bleats (thinking caribou) or rabbit (thinking arctic hare/snowshoe hare) would be good for most any predator.

Originally Posted By: HellgateNo experience whatsoever but I do know that wolverine do a lot of digging and would likely respond to rodent (marmot/woodchuck, ground squirrel, pica, mouse) sounds. Fawn bleats (thinking caribou) or rabbit (thinking arctic hare/snowshoe hare) would be good for most any predator.

Thanks for the reply! I definitely agree on using those sounds for wolverine. I can’t seem to find any caribou or moose distress sounds other that a recording of a cow moose and her two calves in distress. I may try that but I had hoped someone would have some resource for moose and caribou distress sounds for my shockwave. Anyway, thanks for the tips. I’ll probably do a little write up on here when I get back. Kuiu was nice enough to loan me all the gear I didn’t already have and I need to do a write up for them in return. So I’ll post it and some pics on here, if it goes well. Should be a fun trip and something different.

Did you have any luck? I myself called in a Wolf about 15 miles from fairbanks on the 28th of last month. It knew something was awry and just hung up at 130 meters layed down and we had a mexican standoff until I had given up on my finger patience. A nice black one. But from what I could tell it wasnt coming in any closer no matter what, I think wolves are hard to call in, they might come out from cover but I doubt youll see one take off with a caller like a fox or coyote.

Did it hang up where you could not get a shot or kept moving . Congrats as you have accomplished something that most hunters will never do ! Did you know that they were in the area before you called ?

Back