Wildlife tracking collars/systems

Baldknobber

Just wondered what kind of collars are used in tracking wildlife . What brands are available, what is the charge life, what is the range of the receiver, what is the cost? Also what is the chance of getting the thing back if you attached to a coyote? LOL

There are a lot of different types of collars and transmitters. There are vhf and gps and several types of each.

Charge life varies according to features of the transmitter. There are drop of collars and permanent collars. Most have a mortality signal when they don't move in a certain amount of time. Once the mortality signal kicks in, you track to it to recover it.

Be sure you check with your states wildlife department before you go slapping collars on wildlife or you may get in a bind.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerBe sure you check with your states wildlife department before you go slapping collars on wildlife or you may get in a bind.

+1. And please, please take video during the collaring process. Must see tv, I'm thinking!
scared.gif

I've taken part in some studies where collars were used on whitetails. I can tell you this, they are expensive. I'd do a Google search for "GPS radio Collars". I am sure you'll find a ton of information.

Wildlife Materials is used by several conservation departments, but I would bet it is very illegal to put a tracking collar on a wild animal for personal gain, JMO

ATS (Advanced Telemetry Systems; https://atstrack.com/) is a brand of VHF radio collars out of Isanti, MN. You would also need an antenna (YAGI recommended, not H antenna) to track the radio signal and access to the land where your critter hangs out. I'm assuming you don't want GPS because they are thousands of dollars for each unit.

Battery life and signal strength depend on the size and output of the battery. A VHF radio you'd put on a coyote could be heard from miles away if you have line of sight, or very weak/undetectable if it's in the bottom of a canyon, for example.

As far getting the unit back, you'll be able to track it as long as it has battery life. They are made pretty tough, but can get destroyed if chewed on, etc.

As others have said, it is ILLEGAL to capture and handle wildlife in this manner without a permit from the wildlife management agency responsible for managing your coyote population (in some states it is the state itself, in other states it's the USDA I think).

Last edited:
In Mn coyote are unprotected, when I heard about guys selling coyote carcasses for human consumption. I called the DNR. They called me back said couldn't comment about it because of the unprotected status. So if you aren't using explosives or poison or trespassing without permission;collars?

HA! I didn't realize how old this thread was until now. Gotcha, unprotected in MN, probably several other states as well.

Back