Dogs Barking...

sscoyote

Anybody got ANY ideas what to do about the local dogs going crazy when I'm processing fur. I don't do many but even though it's in closed doors (garage) the dogs bark out of control when I'm fleshing coyote furs (skinned in the field), and drying them. Crazy question I know but it may cause me to have to quit doing it.

My guess is the dogs are smelling the coyotes. Here are some thoughts if that's the issue.

If possible you could try to process fur when the problem dogs are upwind.

Have you heard of Nose Jammer? It is a deer hunting product that apparently disables a deer's sense of smell so they can't smell hunters (or anything else I think). I tried it once and it smelled like vanilla and deer investigated where I sprayed it and seemed sort of uneasy. I couldn't tell you if it actually works. You could try using that to reduce the dogs' ability to smell the coyotes.

Ozone is another scent eliminator that hunters use to reduce scent. It is supposed to eliminate organic molecules and odors downwind and some hunters use them while in their treestands. That could reduce the likelihood the dogs smell your yotes.

Flesh and dry cats at the same time?

Do you wash/comb and/or tumble your furs before or after fleshing? That may help with the scent. Maybe leave a chunk of yote meat out for a week straight so they get used to the smell?

Sure is an odd situation - good luck!

Last edited:
imo it is more a problem of the people who own the dogs than it is yours.

the dog owners are the ones that need to take control of their barking dogs. screw em.

WELL SAID SIR! I agree!! I freeze all my furs after skinning to kill the fleas, and am very discreet about processing them, but everybody has dogs here and are absolutely certain that everyone else loves them and their constant barking (to a person).

Back