Charging a FoxPro Fusion?

Went to charge my Fusion back to full charge for the season using factory FoxPro rechargable batteries and the light on the charger that is supposed to glow green to show charging is not coming on. It blinks green, then red, then green, then red and then shuts off? Is this some kind of error message? The call and the batteries were bought brand new from a dealer less than a year ago and were used a few times in the yard p!ssing around.

Can't find any info on it other than the repeated threads were foxpro tells you not to over charge and confirming the green light WILL NOT shut off when the batteries are charged. No mention of this situation.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotdouble check to make sure you put the batteries in the holder correctly. it is pretty easy to accidentally slip one in backwards.

Fair enough, never thought of that. Double checked all 8 and all were properly installed. Only thing I can think of is they were deeply discharged and now wont work? Never had this happen before on any other electronic, lithium battery or not. Seems like for $400+ plus the $35 you pay for 8 batteries they could come up with a design that is a little lower maintenance.

Sounds like at least 1 battery is shorted out or is not making a good contact.
Try taking all 8 out and then reinstall them. Then try rolling each battery to clean the connection. If that does not work call FoxPro for help.
Personally I never charge the batteries in the call. I use a stand alone MaHa smart charger.

I do the same 1t. It is a little more trouble to remove the batteries and charge them individually with a smart charger, but it sure makes them hold up a whole lot longer by not overcharging them. Still running the same batteries that came with my Fusion back in 2016.

Update, I contacted foxPro and they believe the charger is the issue and are sending me a new one free of charge.

New charger arrived, same issue. I guess we'll try a new pack of batteries.

Last edited:
I work with two way radio's all the time, and with new Li-ion batteries I have run into this problem quite a bit. What I believe is happening is that when you discharge "too low" that the charger is seeing the battery as "BAD".

With a variable voltage power supply on my bench, I have been able to jump start the battery to get its voltage level up just enough that the charger then see's the battery as good and begins to charge again.

For example, a typical radio battery runs at 7.2 volts, but after being discharged too low may be at 5.5 volts. I put my power leads on the corresponding + or - leads, with my voltage set for 7.2 volts. This will equalize the low battery bringing it up to say, 6.5 volts, depending on length of time you charge it.

This should bring it up to the level the charger needs to see for it to work. The same thing could be done with a Lithium AA, you could jump start it with an alkaline AA, just be careful not to over do it. A quick 20 second charge is usually all that is needed.

Last edited:
Back