Doing something wrong with pup distress???

Acronin

I have NEVER , EVER gotten a coyote to come into pup distress or fights. I know it's effective, but I cannot understand how others are so successful with it. I end EVERY stand with pup in distress. I'm using a Lucky Duck Riot and I know Rick has put a ton of different distress and fights on it all sound good to me.

How long do you let the distress go after a calling sequence?

My stands are usually around 20 minutes and the last 5 are pup distress or fights on and off.

Thanks for the input. Anything you can do to help would be awesome.

Got a double last night,lucky duck kryptonite finished them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HeymartayGot a double last night,lucky duck kryptonite finished them.

Ok, do you mind telling me how that went and how long you were at the stand?

If not that's fine, but something's got to be wrong. I've been hunting coyotes for many years and everybody has some success bringing coyotes in via pup/coyote fights/distress.

Do I need to stay on the stand longer? Like 30 minutes?

Thanks, also, hunting the Sandhills of Nebraska. Plenty of coyotes out there.

Andy

I've taken a ton with pup distress some with that as the only sound used.
Fun part is stopping one after a partner has shot and missed, once stopped one fleeing 4 times and yes my partner missed all 4 times! He was shocked and embarrassed.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've called a few that way over the years but not many. But i can't help but keep doing it. I figure if I'm at the end of a set, what have i got to lose.

I’m very not talented compared to some people on here. My opinion. It seems like pup in distress ends up being the hook that drags them in. A lot of the times I will use a pretty subtle call to start the stand. Run it on and off for a bit at low volume. Wait 3-4 minutes. Turn on a pup distress at a little bit louder volume and the coyotes usually come charging in pretty quickly if they are going to come in at all. That seems to be a more common scenario for me.

Last edited:
Good links there AWS.

Years ago when I was green as goose crap, and my friend in Okla was calling... he says... "Get ready because they will come now" While i was wondering what he meant, he turned on pup in distress, and within a couple of minute, we had a hard charger in our faces. After years of calling these furry critters, I'm convinced that if you only had one call to work with... the pup in distress would be it.

Acronin... experiment with using ONLY that sound to see what happens...without the fight stuff. I'm not sure it really matters if it plays at low volume, medium or high... because the closer they get to it...the louder it becomes... or even if you stop it occasionally or play it constantly. But I think that 1 min of play... with 1 min of silence... while continuing that sequence would get'her done... IF NOT... I'll give you your money back...LOL.

PS... I LOVE THOSE SANDHILLS.

Last edited:
This was at night, could see them @500 yards away. Had been using rabbit distress for @10 -15 minutes when they showed up. Put on vole distress to see if that would get them coming, no luck then did kryptonite on@25 volume and they ran all the way to me. Got pics if I can figger it out. Second time this week kryptonite worked.

I have had great results using Pup Distress 3 on full blast volume to call in coyotes.

I use Coyote Pup Screams on full blast volume for stopping coyotes.

Kryptonite is a killer call. In fact it called and killed one at about the 13, 14 minute mark last weekend. The first half of the stand was rabbit or other prey, can't remember.

Honestly though it's not that common for me to call one that late in the stand this time of year. Usually they are in range within 6 or 8 minutes. Later in the year it seems to take a bit longer. But all the pup distress and a lot of the fights sounds have called a coyote for me in the last few years with the LD. Last year I alternated coon fight with something, either cat fight or pup distress, switching every minute or two, and called the biggest male of the year. I think that ended up being a $100 dog.

Only time I've seen them fail is with yoy coyotes. Had one a month ago hang out at 400 yards, wouldn't come in to anything. I think it was just intimidated. Ended up dying anyway lol.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I've taken a ton with pup distress some with that as the only sound used.
Fun part is stopping one after a partner has shot and missed, once stopped one fleeing 4 times and yes my partner missed all 4 times! He was shocked and embarrassed.

^^^^This

Have found one corner of an 11,000+ acre ranch to be one of my most productive stands for the past 17 years. Hunting the spot so many times I am sure that the ranch boundary fence is also a territorial mark year after year, having had a number of coyotes come right up to the fence, start to cross, only to back off. Two tracks run on both sides adjacent to the fence most of which is now grown up with thorn brush so thick that you can only see through small patches.
50673459886_60629c742b_c.jpg

This picture taken from corner, right after fence construction....no undergrowth

This one hesitated, but dared to cross that line!
grin.gif

35315567530_f1256a6dba_z.jpg

Well, most of him got through!
35315565690_b2d4f513b7_z.jpg

Another morning, a couple of years after first picture taken, I was snuggled up in that thornbrush watching the N-S road and my partner was behind me in the corner watching E-W road & center sendero which terminates in the corner.

Called in a coyote on the other ranch with Nutty nuthatch, which came up roadway on south side of boundary fence from the west and rounded the corner,within 3-4 yards of my partner, then passed me in the closest rut of the two track, still on adjoining ranch. He ran right up to my call which was hung on the fence about 30 yards north of me.

Long story short, when the coyote would get close to call, I'd silence it. He would stop, look up, then start pacing back and forth barking & trying to locate the source of the sound. At some point, I think he may have suspected my presence, as he came up close, sniffing the very thick thornbrush directly opposite of me. Not thinking, I growled at him and thought for a minute it was a terrible mistake as he drew even closer but fortunately the brush was impenetrable & he resumed barking and running back and forth. It's been a number of years and I have forgotten exactly how long this went on, but IIRC it was over 30-35 minutes by the timer on my remote.

That coyote wanted to come across that fence so badly, but was obviously afraid to. He finally departed, headed east. I stopped him and called him back three or four times w/pup distress. I'd bark and stop him about 50 yards from the fence, turn back and challenge howl, which I alternately mimicked or played pup distress, then he'd run right back to the fence and stop, barking. We carried on this argument for quite a while.

I start most stands w/pup distress and have called in a number, usually they respond right away; if no response in 5 min. or so, switch to something else, but play pup distress for a few minutes at end of most stands, go silent and sit a few minutes more. Have had an occasional visitor after the last call.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: dan brothers I'm convinced that if you only had one call to work with... the pup in distress would be it.

only 1 sound? i will take rabbit. with no hesitations.

Coyote pup distress is my Fox bang sound setting, so it gets run whether I shoot or not on most stands. Unless I'm revisiting a setup in the same year.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: dan brothers I'm convinced that if you only had one call to work with... the pup in distress would be it.

only 1 sound? i will take rabbit. with no hesitations.

Yup, me too.

But I've called a bunch with Pup #3. But I've never called many with any sound, after 15 minutes on stand. On the occasions I stay that long, I'm just throwing crap out there for the crap of it mostly - generally I have very little hope of anything working after that long.

Most of the coyotes I've called with pup distress were there within the first five minutes of the stand. Same as with any other sound.

You might just try using it as a primary, starting sound. See if that makes a difference.

- DAA

Try starting the set with coyote distress rather than ending as others have mentioned. Around here we dont use rabbit distress...period. everyone in county uses rabbit distress and blows the sets. So the coyotes are used to it, not to mention rabbit numbers are way down.

If i set up and notice a coyote in field, or know one is close, i will start real low on nuthatch. Generally this brings them in on a string. If i go into a set blind i will generally do some form of interrogation or coyote distress, and go from there.

I cant tell ya how many coyotes i have killed off pup screams or pup distress. I however may be a little different than others on volume. I rarely go over 50% volume on a set.

I night hunt only though

Back