Called in one coyote and one big dog!

derbyacresbob

IMG_7960 by [/url], on Flickr

We called in a huge Great Pyrenees dog today. When I first saw it come over a ridge about 1,000 yards away it looked like a white pony! LOL

I coaxed the big white dog in with Foxpro's Vole Squeaks sound right up to my X-Wave. I wish I would have had a video of this dog coming in and how fast he ran away when I changed sounds to Angry Badger on full volume.

Late in the afternoon we had a big male coyote run up to about 30 yards from my hunting buddy Tim. Tim killed this coyote with his shotgun using a 3" load of HW13 BB shot.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ka7q4h t=_blank]IMG_7967 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

I did shoot another big male coyote that we drove up on, it was right in with some cows and calves. I had to wait for this coyote to get away from the cattle so I could take a clear shot.

Pyrenees are a favorite for me and many friends have them. Some tend to wander 10-15 miles or more looking for a job guarding something, like protecting a calf from a cow, or a goose decoy from hunters.
This is not a desirable trait that many owners tolerate.
They prefer the ones that patrol set perimeters.
Very loyal dogs that love a job.

I was given a GP that had gone feral and was captured by the pastor in town. He was a killing machine on our walks he would kill mice like a coyote. He would lay in front of his house and pretend to be asleep anything that thought it could cross his space didn't make it. He and I went many rounds before we became friends. Eventually he would pull my beaver trapping sled and me on skis for fun. I will say that big white dog was the ultimate "Chick Magnet". He never wanted to stay in the tent, he preferred to sleep in the open and rarely went in his house.

Couple years ago I had a pair of them decide to guard my truck/trailer while i was building a lease road. The closest farm place was at least 2 miles away and this isn't exactly "guard dog country".
Nice dogs that just liked the shade that day, I think.

Back