Oregon action new farm

wolftrapper

I got permission to hunt a nearby cattle farm, so yesterday I went up to give it a try. Starting at daylight, I set up and called several places, with no results. I kept pushing back farther and farther from the highway, and was puzzled as to why I wasn't seeing any coyotes.

Around nine am. I finished a stand, and spent some time glassing. There was a sizable herd of cattle about a half mile away, and sure enough, I started seeing not only coyotes, but ravens and magpies.

I saw two coyotes together, and a single, then saw a couple more. Since they were so far back, and with the time, I decided to back off, and try at first light this morning.

I found a dead cow not too far from where the coyotes were hanging out, with eagles, ravens, and magpies working it, and was sitting on it before daylight this morning. About fifteen minutes after good light, the first coyote appeared, stopped at about 100 yards, and went [beeep] up.

I waited another fifteen minutes or so, and tried a little coyote distress, with nothing.

Walked over to check out the coyote...nice male, then headed farther in. Tried calling a couple of sets with no action. Moved a ways, and discovered another dead cow. This was very near the area where I had spotted the coyotes the previous morning.

I could see a long ways, and after glassing for a time, concluded that it was time to top the next ridge, about a quarter mile away.

I did that, and was looking for a good place to set...walked over the ridge, and was dropping into the next draw, trying to see into the valley before calling again.

About the time that happened, there stood a coyote just below me, and barely a 100 yards away. I had my bi-pod extended, and sat for the shot...which put me too low, and the coyote was behind grass. He was looking right at me, and started to lope away. I used that to run up about twenty feet, to the crest of the hill for a clear shot, and he stopped to look back. BIG mistake! I folded him.

This may well be the heaviest coyote I have ever shot. I skinned him on the spot, since I was nearly a mile from my rig, and had a second coyote to haul out. Once I get him on a board, I will post a measurement of the pelt. He is a good six inches longer than the first male.

Anyway, I think I know why my calling isn't working so well....there was a dead cow about every half mile, and these boys were fat!!

I can't wait to hunt that spot with some snow on the ground!
62fthumbnail20201123T15.jpg
thumbnail20201123T15.jpg
thumbnail20201123T15.jpg

Quote:Anyway, I think I know why my calling isn't working so well....there was a dead cow about every half mile, and these boys were fat!!

Pretty hard to call them out of the buffet line.....or even from the siesta after a big meal.

Regards,
hm

Back