South Dakota question

SEMOmike

I know this is tough to answer, but in general with a little door knocking how hard is it to get permission to coyote hunt on private land in SD? I know down here in Missouri it can be done with some persistence for just coyotes. Deer/turkey you are pretty much wasting your time. I’m thinking of coming up in Dec with my brother and son and instead of making that last track west acrossed the state to the grasslands public area, wondering if a door knocking campaign for a 1/2 day or so would be worth it?

Last edited:
For me it was always easier to get permission after pheasant and deer seasons ended. This year pheasant will not close until end of January, I believe. This maybe a problem for hunting prime fur.

I haven't been to SD for awhile but later in the pheasant season, mid week hunting we would have the public areas to ourselves. We were hunting birds in the Winner/White River area and there seemed to be plenty of coyotes.

Last March on my way home from Snow Goose hunting in Missouri I learned you don't want to be going 80 mph in a 65 mph zone in South Dakota.
cry.gif

Looks like pheasant runs to Jan 3rd. Might have to rethink this. Could be awful cold by then. Last trip we took to New Mexico the wind blew 30 plus for 4 days and we struggled mightily. Hate to drive even further to ND, maybe have to check out Wyoming

Competition for cyote hunting ground in western So Dak is getting more and more competitive every year. A lot of guys who are proven killers have sole permission on many ranches. I have properties exclusive to myself and some that others hunt as well. It is easier to get coyote huntjng permission than say deer or pheasent but i still wouldnt call it easy. Especially for out of towners and even more so for out of staters. Im not discouraging you, by all means you would probably find a place or two but its notsuch a simple deal anymore!

Back