6mm arc

tripod3

I see the 6mm arc as another form of fitting the ar15 platform.
Was wondering if there is any advantage over the .243 to 500 yds or if it is designed for primarily heavy bullets

I guess if less speed and lower recoil are sought the ARC will be advantageous. The plus is a light AR15 platform but I have other 6 MM AR cartridges that I would pick first.

Greg

Last edited:
The 6 ARC will use less powder than 243 and can be used in mini action bolt rifles like the Howa, Cz 527 and Ruger Predator. The barrel twist of the usual 243 Winchester doesn’t work well with the high ballistic coefficient bullets like the 108 grain ELD-M.

The 6 ARC should have longer barrel life compared to 6 Creedmoor but will still be able to reach 1000 yards in a handy package. The 6 ARC might prove popular as a hunting cartridge as it would work for varmints to medium game.

Originally Posted By: VASCAR2The 6 ARC will use less powder than 243 and can be used in mini action bolt rifles like the Howa, Cz 527 and Ruger Predator. The barrel twist of the usual 243 Winchester doesn’t work well with the high ballistic coefficient bullets like the 108 grain ELD-M.

The 6 ARC should have longer barrel life compared to 6 Creedmoor but will still be able to reach 1000 yards in a handy package. The 6 ARC might prove popular as a hunting cartridge as it would work for varmints to medium game.

I do non compare this to the 243 or 6mm rem. I compare the 6mm ARC to the 6ppc as I often longed po put a 6ppc together Only thing is I wanted a faster twist rate for longer heavier bullets.

Hope CZ steps up to the plate sooner rather than later. OK enough of my wish list. Ill guess I may plan for a lot of years B4 the CZ comes to fruitition.

Unless Drop in barrel comes in to play.

^^^^^^
Agree completely. The inherent accuracy of the PPC case I hope runs over into the 6ARC.

I myself think it has been a long time coming of a 6mm case smaller than a 243. Buddy and I just put together a 6TCU rifle for me last year. I almost went with the 6mmNosler, but have worked with the 6-223 and 6TCU enough that I didn’t want a new project.

I would like to see a 17,19 or a 20 factory offering of the ARC.

These PRS shooters think the 6mmARC has a competative advantage over the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmore past 600-700 yards primarily due to less recoil and being better able to spot your own misses so you can make a quick correction for a follow up shot in competition (generally 2 shots per target). No advantage for the first shot which is all that matters for hunting.

The primary selling point of the 6mmARC is that it fits in an AR 15 for medium range hunting and 1000 range performance on paper/steel. But PRS shooters (all shooters) are seriously disadvantaged with an AR at distance.

Check out mad dog weapon systems 6mm Mongoose.

The ARC will out run it in speed, but not by much. I'm getting 3450 fps with 55gr bullets and a 28.5gr charge of H322.

That mighty efficient from an 18" barrel!

I shoot 87gr Vmaxes at over 2750 fps and guys who have shot 20 & 22" barrels are getting better velocity yet.

It'll shoot the 108's in my 1:8, but I haven't put them on the chrono yet. I'm guessing 2450-2500 out of my 18". The ARC will do better with the heavies, but the Mongoose is for real a great cartridge that eventually I feel will be commercialized.

It's extremely accurate as well. I' shot a group just over an inch (1.18") to be exact at 300yds with those 55gr sierra blitz kings. That will be my coyote load for this year.

I was thinking 6mm ARC or 6mm Creedmore. My only consideration when looking at rounds is coyote hunting. With the Arc I can get a lighter platform with less recoil. But with the 6mm Creedmore I would have better range. I am not a fur hunter so blowing them up does not play. I’am so confused!!!!! I will not most likely reload for either, so that’s not an issue. Help

.243 Win is what you want if you don't reload. There really isn't much advantage at all with the 6mm CM over the .243 win at all and NO advantage when it comes to hunting in my opinion.

Either way I think a tried a trued cartridge is the way to go when not reloading.

Originally Posted By: viperI was thinking 6mm ARC or 6mm Creedmore. My only consideration when looking at rounds is coyote hunting. With the Arc I can get a lighter platform with less recoil. But with the 6mm Creedmore I would have better range. I am not a fur hunter so blowing them up does not play. I’am so confused!!!!! I will not most likely reload for either, so that’s not an issue. Help

ammo price is going to be about the same on either of those based on what i can see on ammoseek. +/- 15 cents per round anyway.

availability is going to be the biggest challenge - unless you're really lucky and a local place has either, you're going to be stuck ordering online.

as for the extra distance... how many occasions do you find yourself out past 300, or even 400 yds?

i ask because depending on your platform (bolt gun, ar, etc), you're looking at a firearm weight difference of possibly several pounds.

many ar-10/LR-308 based guns (6mm creed, 243 win) are going to way in the 10-13lb range without spending a lot of extra $ to go lightweight everything to shave it.

with the arc, on the ar-15 platform, it should be relatively easy to be in the 7-8lb functional range for hunting, as long anyway as you're not toting a 24" full bull with a .936 gas block anyway
smile.gif

point is - how often is going to that extra weight all the time going to benefit you the extra hunting range that the ARC wont get you?

i know walking around with an >11lb LR308 rifle to hunt with really starts to suck after the first mile or so
thumbdown.gif

Plant one, that’s pretty much my thoughts also. 300-400 should be easy for coyote and it would be lighter platform. Heck most I get are inside 100 yards here. looking at buying a Howa mini action/barrel once they start producing them and put in a Bell and Carson stock topped with a VX 3i in 4.5x14 should make a nice carrying calling rig. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I love that Hdy legitimized the 6mm Grendel (Arc) and I think it will be successful. My hunting partner built one and it looks like it will shoot very well. But I agree that if you're using factory ammo the 243 Win is what I'd choose still. Especially if you're shooting a bolt gun, the smaller Arc doesn't save much weight there. But the smaller round will have a lot more barrel life ime.

Gas guns, well this year I'm shooting a 243 Win, in a DPMS G2. Not realy cheap at $1200 or so, but it handles like a small frame and doesn't weigh much more. It's unnoticeable if barrel length and optics are the same. I love it so far but haven't been out yet hunting but it is very accurate and reliable.

I watched a video of a guy calling coyotes using the 6MM Arc in AR style rifle. That guy made a lot of long range kills with it. Made some nice holes in the pelts though. I was extremely impressed with that round and his shooting.

Rudy

Originally Posted By: viperPlant one, that’s pretty much my thoughts also. 300-400 should be easy for coyote and it would be lighter platform. Heck most I get are inside 100 yards here. looking at buying a Howa mini action/barrel once they start producing them and put in a Bell and Carson stock topped with a VX 3i in 4.5x14 should make a nice carrying calling rig. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
I’m going to be on that bandwagon too, when Howa comes out with that mini barreled action.

I have 2 Mini's 204 and 223. Both are very accurate and the rig is already lightweight. The triggers came set at 2.5 lbs. A problem they do have with the stock is the front swivel attachment. It is just screwed into the stock, no nut on inside of the stock. I drilled these out and put a flat washer and nut on the swivel. Problem solved. I discovered this when I attached a bipod to the front swivel and started to pull the swivel out. Very happy with the Mini's and would buy another in a heart beat. These are coyote rigs.

Rudy

Back