Alaska, 5 out of 8 with a .375 H&H

375 H&H

Went bear hunting, found coyotes had a huge litter couple hundred yards from my stand. Saw 8 show up at 230 yards out. Waited for a adult to line up with one of the younger ones and started right there! Dropped those 2 and all heck broke loose. Dropped another at 215 running away, then dropped another runner at 200 yards, then hammered the last one at 85 yards as it had run towards me. I used my .375 H7H with Hornady's new Outfitter ammo, a 250gr. GMX, out of my cut down barreled Remington 700. All were DRT, in plain sight of my tree. Couple almost counted as 2 coyotes each. Had to reload 1 shell, as it only holds 4 total. I keep 9 more on the rear stock, it is a bear rifle after all. It was sunny with no wind. Rifle is scoped Zeiss 1.5-6 power, it was on 6 power. I was 60 yards above the river and 230 yards away from them, in a tree stand when I started shooting. It was over as fast as you can crank a .375 H&H.

No, I won't post a picture of that mess. But it's my best shooting with it and thought I would share. They were not prime hides and you cannot sew them back up. I did shoot a bear that snuck up behind me, at 20 feet at my cabin a few days later.

Okay, no picture. Bummer, but I get it.

How about a picture of the bear then?
smile.gif

It was just a small black bear sow, probably about 4 years old. Game camera showed her coming around 6:30pm in the daylight. She ransacked my wood piles covered in blue tarps. She had a thing for blue tarps. Bit holes into a bunch of action packers. Just being a young bear. I was down on the ground working on my 4 wheeler when she walked up behind me. I went inside to grab my rifle, she started walking away. I shot her and she ran 10 yards. She wasn't 40 yards from the cabin door to where she lay. She had blue berries out both ends of her. I have never seen so many High Bush Cranberries inside a bear either, just packed full. She also had more than 2 inches of fat on her. I rendered her fat down to 3 big Quart jars and put her in the freezer to hibernate for winter. Just a youngster trying to figure it all out. Heard later she had been hitting the other cabins nearby. Small by our standards for sure, but she had some nerve getting that close to me.

Sounds like great fun. I bet that barrel was cooking after all that shootin. What part of Alaska are you from?
That 375 would be great brown bear medicine

Back