6x45 Load data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BBQ365Can no one tell me if the charge weights listed are lowest or max?

If you mean the Compilation they are all over the map. Many are from loading manuals. A smart man would compare it with current publications to get an idea of what you are dealing with. Crossreference anything and everything you see on the net.

Greg

I did some load work up for my 6x45 and thought I would share it here since this thread has been so helpful and comprehensive in the data contained.

Here is the load I settled on.

6x45 AR 20” Olympic Arms 1:10 bbl suppressed

Brass: LC (mixed years)
Primer: CCI 400
Powder: H335 (27.3 grain)
Bullets: 70 grain Sierra BlitzKing
COL: 2.260”
Velocity: 2975 fps (avg of 5 shots measured with Magnetospeed V3)
Accuracy is acceptable for my uses and is under 1 MOA at 100.

I got my 6x45 shooting Sierra 70 grain match kings half inch at 100 yards using ramshot tac in a 12.5 inch AR.
My velocity is 2735 average with 10fps ES.
Is this a good load for varmints.

Originally Posted By: forty fiveI got my 6x45 shooting Sierra 70 grain match kings half inch at 100 yards using ramshot tac in a 12.5 inch AR.
My velocity is 2735 average with 10fps ES.
Is this a good load for varmints.

Yes. I took a coyote this spring with pretty much the exact same set-up. 12" X-Caliber barrel with the 70gr SMK's, but with different powder (I don't have my notes in front of me). Very accurate and handy set-up.

So far with my load development venture for my 6x45 I've tried 70gr TNT, 75 sierra hp, 80 sierra btsp and 87 horn bthp. Best groups are with the 70 tnt. Is there another bullet I should try before settling on this one? I was hoping the 75 would group better but not. I have some horn 75 hp I've not tried yet. Not looking and going off memory, I think 21 grains of IMR 4198 is what grouped best.

I have had tremendous luck with the Speer 75 gr HP, #1205. Mine also likes the 55 gr tipped varmageddons, but the Speer is my bullet of choice. The only thing I've shot, besides paper, is a ground hog dumb enough to pop up at the range, around the 200 yard target. Unzipped the poor guy.

I've had good luck with the 70gr TNTs & 70gr NBTs out of my 18" AR for both Coyotes & P-dogs.I bought some 58gr V-maxes but haven't got around to working up a load.

I'm getting really nice accuracy with 85 gr Sierra FBSP. Don't have the load handy, but know I'm using both IMR 8208 and WC844 (H335). I have some 80 gr Win SP's to try, but haven't had time. I too wanted a little heavier bullet. 223 Rem will do everything needed with under 70 gr bullets. 6x45 hits way above it's weight class with 75-85 gr bullets. ; )

Getting ready to build on an XP action. I have a fair bunch of 70 grain TNT and 65 grain V max and some odds and ends up to 85 grain. I am thinking a 1-10" twist. Looked for a take off BR barrel and it seems they are still using a bunch of 1-14" twist.
You guys thoughts........

Last edited:
Been running a 16" krieger 6x45 and the 65 grn vmaxes. So far here are my results
H322 - 27grns netted 3100 fps average and 1 ragged hole
H4198 - 25 grns hit 3250 and roughly 3/4 group.
Primers held up for 4 firings with military brass. These are for coyote calling and I seldom recover brass.

The new Western Powders reloading manual has data for this cartridge.

I just noticed the Sierra load manual does also.

Last edited:
A little late to this cartridge. Just got a Satern Liberty 20” barrel.
Have put about 150 rounds through it so far. Happy with accuracy.
Shooting 105 SMK with 24 gr RL 15 at just under 2500 fps.
These are single load only. Also 85 gr SGK with 25 gr H335 at 2750 fps.
Very happy with this so far. Just a little more info for the database.

My familiarity with the 6x45 starts with my use of the contender and the 6TCU.
I've used the TCU for years and just recently got into the 6x45.
Most users of the 6x45 are usually AR shooters.
They require the gases needed to cycle the action.
My loads don't have to do anything but leave the barrel.
I haven't pushed my loads to the 6TCU levels yet as I'm thoroughly impressed at it's accuracy.
I plan on using this for whitetail this fall restricting myself to certain, well-placed shots.
The big game laws here require calibers to be of 23 or better, so I'm a minimalist.
87gr. Spire point+ 24gr. of IMR 8208 XBR = around 2500 fps from 14" barrel
I'd love to see the book when it's compiled.
Thanks,
Jimmy
6x223-contender.jpg

After custom forearm and grip
6x223-with-legs.jpg

Last edited:
Have any of you used 105-110 grn bullets in the 6×45 with powders slower than bl-c2? Preferably newer more temp stable powders alos. I got a bolt gun too cheap in 6×45 and want to try some heavy bergers in it for something cheap to shoot out to 500 yds. I may have it throated for the heavy stuff and modify my accurate mags so C.O.A.L. isn't an issue.

Thanks,

Kyle

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kfreezeHave any of you used 105-110 grn bullets in the 6×45 with powders slower than bl-c2? Preferably newer more temp stable powders alos. I got a bolt gun too cheap in 6×45 and want to try some heavy bergers in it for something cheap to shoot out to 500 yds. I may have it throated for the heavy stuff and modify my accurate mags so C.O.A.L. isn't an issue.

Thanks,

Kyle

I'm interested in the same thing. I've heard of CFE223 and leverevolution being used but they aren't temp stable. Slower than BL-c2 and temp stable, it looks like a long jump to H4350 and it's going to be too slow I'm sure. The closest powder would be Varget.

I have gotten excellent accuracy with 105 Sierras and 25 gr Varget. Velocity was about 2530 out of a 20” AR. Single load only.
Could have gone higher. Was very happy with accuracy out to 550 yards on steel plates.

Last edited:
Been lurking this post for some time contemplating doing my next AR in 6x45. I’ve pretty much made my mind up and gonna order a barrel soon probably a McGowen going with a 20” and probably 9 twist which is where I’m still up in the air is twist rate. I’ve got 55gr Sierra blitz kings, 62 Barnes varmint grenades and 75 vmax. My 243 shoots the 62s and 75s nicely but I wanna try and go lighter pills for the 6x45 55-65gr preferably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back