Got in two coyote calling stands late this evening.

derbyacresbob

I got a call from a rancher yesterday saying he saw 5 coyotes on a short drive within 2 miles of his house.

So today at 6:00 pm I headed out to his ranch that is about 8 miles from my house. It was 93 degrees when I got out of the truck to do the first stand.

I took my 223 AI Tikka because it is lighter than my 22-250 and my 243 Win. It sure seems like my 22-250 and my 243 Win weigh more each year as I am getting older. LOL

On the first stand I was in some hills with grass on them, no rocks or cover. I set my X-Wave out about 40 yards in front of me and started playing Adult Rat on full volume.

After 4 or 5 minutes I saw a coyote heading down a hill about 150 yards away and it was heading towards my X-Wave. The coyote stopped about 80 yards away to look at the decoy on my X-Wave so I put a 40 gr Nosler Lead Free Varmint bullet just behind the male coyotes shoulder. He ran about 30 yards and fell over.

About 5 minutes later I saw something moving on the hill top to my left, it was another coyote. It was hard to see because the sun was just above the coyote.

I switched from Adult Rat on full blast to Vole Squeaks on half volume. I lost the coyote in the deep grass looking towards the sun.

A few minutes later I saw the small coyote pup down towards the base of the hill only about 100 yards away. It was moving through the grass and then stopped in some shorter grass so I shot it.

It took me a while to find the coyote pup laying in the grass. The male coyote was quite a bit bigger and heavier than he looked through my scope.
IMG_7419 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

I did one more stand but didn't call anything in. It was to hot for me this evening but the evenings should be getting cooler in the next two to four weeks.

Last edited:
Bet that .223 kicks.
I'm spooked a bit to shoot for fear of fire, one already burned part of the town.
Got an email from WDFW warning of fire.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Good job. Doesn't look like you're getting any smoke in your area?

Regards,
hm

There has been smoke in the sky everyday for at least two weeks now. There has been at least two days that I could look directly at the sun and just barely see it through the smoke.

Nice work Bob. How do you like the Xwave? I'm thinking about buying one soon, or should I stick with my Fusion and external speaker setup?

Back