Which bolt action?

seasley

Looking to buy a bolt action in 22-250 or 204

What maker would you recommend?

I am looking hard at kimber, and would prefer no magazine

Sounds like you want a varmint rifle, but I dont know if what you want to something to shoot off a bench, like a heavy varmint, or something light and easy to tote around in the coyote fields.

Hard to beat a Savage and they are often on sale somewhere. I used to turn my nose up them years ago but not any more. Shoot too dang good.

They have magazines,but bought a Tikka 22-250 last year and liked it so much I bought another 1 in 223 a little while back.Did not think they made anything but Winchester Model 70 for at least the last 40 years but the Tikka changed my mind.Main thing is make yourself happy and enjoy whatever you get.

Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard are nice rifles, everyone loves their Tikka's, Rem. I like them, I haven't owned a Ruger bolt action but I do like the short action RSI and a Model 70 is classy. I shoot Savages(5), Rem(2), Sako(1), Win Mod 70(1) and a Howa Mini. No brand loyalty here. I'm always on the lookout for a inexpensive 222 Rem bolt action preferably a Howa Mini, Mini Mauser or Sako L-461 note inexpensive, I want a shooter not a safe queen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCTikka...

This
thumbup1.gif

This will be a carry/coyote rifle, no bench

The last savage I had was a lemon, that’s why I didn’t list it

Originally Posted By: seasleyThis will be a carry/coyote rifle, no bench

The last savage I had was a lemon, that’s why I didn’t list it

In spite of what you read on the internet, your lemon wasn't Savage's first and it won't be their last either.

The bad thing if you get a Savage lemon is you now own something that has poor resale value to begin with, and now it doesn't shoot well either. A lose lose proposition, imo.

What twist rate are you looking for in a 22-250?

Don't buy a 1-14" twist barrel unless you plan on shooting 50 gr and lighter lead bullets.

You can shoot a wider range of bullet weights with a 1-12" or faster twist rate barrel.

Originally Posted By: parsonRusty, the major problem with the Savage is that it has no snob appeal

Boy, aint that the truth? I used to think that that was one of those guns you bought if you wanted a decent rifle but did not have the coin for something like a Ruger or Remington or a Winchester.

But whenever Gun Test Magazine did a comparison test using bolt action centerfire rifles I will be danged if a Savage did not win every time. At first I just thought it was a fluke but in every test? Especially the accuracy portion? Had to be more than meets the eye here.

Right now I have a 112 Savage (holding it in my Avatar) two model 12's as well. Do I like them better than my M700 Remingtons? Well, no. The Savages are bit on the ugly side. But out of the box it is hard to beat a Savage when it comes to accuracy. I guess Gun Test magazine did not get a bunch of flukes after all.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob
Don't buy a 1-14" twist barrel unless you plan on shooting 50 gr and lighter lead bullets.

My 1/14" Model 700 .22/250 shoots up to 55 grain bullets just fine. I rarely load that heavy a bullet in it but it groups them well. But yes, I agree that a 1/12 or even a 1/10 twist might be better.

I shoot 55 grain bullets in my 14 twist and have used them in my 14 twist Winchester since it was new,maybe I just got lucky but it is working for me.Maybe faster twist is better but I have never owned one.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIf your thinking Kimber, throw a few more bucks in the pile and get a Cooper. Buy once cry once.

I like both Cooper and Kimber rifles, but for different applications. For a pure hunting rife, I'd pick a Kimber every time.

Have you had issues with Kimber rifles that have caused you to say what you did?

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogIf your thinking Kimber, throw a few more bucks in the pile and get a Cooper. Buy once cry once.

I like both Cooper and Kimber rifles, but for different applications. For a pure hunting rife, I'd pick a Kimber every time.

Have you had issues with Kimber rifles that have caused you to say what you did?

Nope, but I have had a few Coopers. I just like Cooper rifles.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Tikka T3x or Bergara B14 Ridge Rifle.

Also very good rifles from my experience.

Still wondering what psycho might have against owning a Kimber rifle, or if he has ever owned one....?

Back