covid #"s

Lets be clear about the two tests:
1) nose swab for virus itself
2) blood test for anti-bodies, its after the fact, - may have been exposed.

I've been tested for both, neg on both, but that was just one point in time (mid June).
Next tests will be a new ballgame. (hopefully not needed)

My points are that:
2) may be postive but inconclusive,
1) positve is the real deal.

Originally Posted By: ADK"Just got an email from my nurse friend, who works in one of the medium sized hospitals in the area. "Covid is in our hospital. We usually have 3 code blues/week; now 3+/day"."

Is that medium sized hospital in a city controlled by Democrats hm?

Yes it is, but in all fairness, I don't think the democrats (or republicans, for that matter)can be blamed for the surge in the spread. The blame lies more at the feet of the general population, as they went hog wild and crazy at the mere suggestion of lifting "stay at home" orders state wide for Memorial day. That,dense population, and to some degree proximity to the border, IMO, influences the numbers to a much greater extent.

TX, at least currently (in spite of Bloomberg's millions), is Republican, but south Texas is, and has long been,solid blue. Interestingly, death rate/positive test rate* for the US is .0692, TX is .0162, and the tip of Texas counties are .0353 and .0312.

*But I dare anyone to get any two different sets of statistics to agree. It is obvious that there is no "official score keeper" and you can come up with just about any number you wish.....perhaps by design???

As has been alluded to, much of the hype about the virus is being manipulated for political gain, IMO. Also true, is the fact that test results are/have been less than 100% reliable, for sure, and, due to the fact that federal funding to affected entities was based on the number of positives, many such entities, I believe, pushed the pencil a bit....some a bit more than others. (It has been reported that ALL deaths, whether by accident, suicide, etc. are tested for Covid, and if the test comes back positive, Covid is listed as cause of death.)

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Obviously, Covid is affecting different parts of the country differently. Population density seems to be a major factor in its spread.

Just got an email from my nurse friend, who works in one of the medium sized hospitals in the area. "Covid is in our hospital. We usually have 3 code blues/week; now 3+/day".

As stated earlier, area hospitals are full, one reporting on local news double occupancy in covid rooms intended for isolation (single occupancy). It was reported that they were packed in so tight "you can't get a crash cart in where needed".

Hopefully, a good sign yesterday as new cases reported dropped slightly. Perhaps a sign of better days ahead??

Regards,
hm

if you could ask a couple questions i'd be interested in the feedback from someone who's actually boots on the ground

1a) is the hospital in question at full normal ICU occupancy (ie based on 2019 occupancy #'s) - or full reduced occupancy? (room #'s available based on covid-19 related staffing issues,etc)

1b) how many of those ICU rooms that are full have nothing to do with covid19? ie: elective surgery recovery, emergency surgery recovery, etc

2) are those extra code blue's all covid related? or are they from typical stuff thats exacerbated due to several months with emergency only care being given due to covid-19 restrictions?

i do appreciate that some of that info can truly be hospital to hospital based stuff.... but i'm trying to get some real world non-media filtered/biased feedback.

Quote:1a) is the hospital in question at full normal ICU occupancy (ie based on 2019 occupancy #'s) - or full reduced occupancy? (room #'s available based on covid-19 related staffing issues,etc)

1b) how many of those ICU rooms that are full have nothing to do with covid19? ie: elective surgery recovery, emergency surgery recovery, etc

2) are those extra code blue's all covid related? or are they from typical stuff thats exacerbated due to several months with emergency only care being given due to covid-19 restrictions?

i do appreciate that some of that info can truly be hospital to hospital based stuff.... but i'm trying to get some real world non-media filtered/biased feedback.

Sorry, Plant, only hospital administration would be able to answer questions as to reasons for individual code blues and how many ICU patients are covid or other causes. I have no inside info from administration, only that one nurse's individual observations plus one live TV interview from another nurse in a larger nearby hospital. AFAIK, Gov. Abbot's July 9 order suspending elective surgery is still in effect to free up space for covid patients. I, too, am somewhat skeptical on the 2nd hand reports filtered through news media.

The nurse on TV (from that larger hospital) stated that there were no designated covid beds available and the overflow was being treated in the emergency room last week. She was the one who mentioned the crowding was restricting crash cart access.

The convention center in that town is currently being re-purposed to house the covid overflow from area hospitals; military doctors and medical staff has been brought in to support hospital staff as needed and the overflow facility.

Regards,
hm

Remember when Gov. Andrew Cuomo went on the news with his daily Covid updates? Remember how he was frantic about not having enough hospital beds and ventilators? We all know about the fake ventilator shortage but is everyone aware of the grossly overstated need for more hospital beds? President Trump had the Army Corp. of Engineers build hospitals in record time and sent the Navy ship Comfort to assist. This is the story of how those resources went underutilized by Gov. Cuomo:

"By the time of Comfort’s departure, the approximately 1,200-person crew and 1,000-bed hospital had treated just 182 patients, of which approximately 70 percent had COVID-19, according to Capt. Patrick Amersbach, commanding officer of the Comfort’s Medical Treatment Facility."

"Underutilization of added medical resources in New York City is not unique to the Comfort. Thousands of hospital beds made available in a converted convention center have gone largely unused after quick assembly by the Army Corps of Engineers."

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy...n-200-patients/

I'm sure you are not comparing Cuomo to Gov. Abbot
smile.gif
, but yes Cuomo cried wolf, happily took all the federal aid provided, then put covid patients on the Comfort (which had been intended for non-covid use, thus contaminating that asset) and ultimately had the gaul to complain that he did not get sufficient support from the feds.

Regards,
hm

Quote:
McAllen Convention Center to serve as COVID-19 care facility, governor says

WESLACO — Gov. Greg Abbott pledged more state support for recovery efforts in the Rio Grande Valley related to Hurricane Hanna and in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic after touring the area and meeting with local leaders in the Mid-Valley on Tuesday.

Abbott said he viewed hurricane damage in the Valley in the air and on the ground, commenting on agricultural damage, property damage and ongoing power outages.

He said he issued a waiver on certain regulations related to commercial trucking in the state meant to address those power outages Tuesday afternoon.

“These suspensions will allow commercial drivers to more quickly deliver supplies, specifically electric power supplies, to communities in the Rio Grande Valley and the Coastal Bend impacted by Hurricane Hanna,” he said.

Abbott said that much of the conversation he had with local leadership Tuesday focused on preventing catastrophic flooding that’s become an annual event in the Rio Grande Valley. He stressed that effective solutions for the Valley’s drainage problems wouldn’t happen over night.

“When you start delivering solutions that involve containment or movement of water, it takes typically years for those projects to be completed,” he said.

Many of the governor’s announcements Tuesday related to pandemic aid headed to the Valley, including a plan to convert the McAllen Convention Center into a healthcare facility that can care for up to 250 COVID-19 patients. He says it’s opening later this week and will be supplied with hospital beds, medical equipment and medical staff.

“You got to hand it to the local leaders. It’s an enormous challenge for any local leader to step up and be able to address the challenges that come along with a hurricane. It’s even more challenging when you couple that with a pandemic. Our biggest concern with the hurricane was the challenge that it posed because of the pandemic, especially in the Rio Grande Valley,” he said.

Other pandemic aid the governor announced included medical supplies and medical professionals being sent south.

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/07/28/abbott-brings-word-storm-virus-aid-coming-rio-grande-valley/

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996I'm sure you are not comparing Cuomo to Gov. Abbot
smile.gif
, but yes Cuomo cried wolf, happily took all the federal aid provided, then put covid patients on the Comfort (which had been intended for non-covid use, thus contaminating that asset) and ultimately had the gaul to complain that he did not get sufficient support from the feds.

Regards,
hm

Heck no hm, I'm not comparing an incompetent,leftist,Dem. governor to Governor Abbot.
ohmy.gif
I'm sorry if I gave anyone that impression.
scared.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanks ADK, I didn't think so.
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Gov. Abbott has had his plate full in S. Tx. what with the hurricane on top of covid. Not sure how they are handling "social distancing" @ all the shelters for those whose homes are flooded. Still have flooding in three counties.

Regards,
hm

Yes,we've been watching Hanna since it made landfall last Saturday. Can not believe how much rain has fallen in that area around Brownsville. 15-20 inches? Our thoughts and prayers go out to those folks.

Yes, Those high teens were relatively small areas, but 15" fairly widespread. This was a strange hurricane...the wet side of a storm is usually the NW quadarant, this one was wet on S to SE side. Very flat country, drainage is pretty slow.

Regards,
hm

I heard her ( I think same person) on the radio yesterday. I would not be surprised if she is on to something.
The money that a vaccine will generate would be incredible.

She lost me when she mentioned the other Doctors, one DR Stella Emmanuel is not one I would go to. Most people will not get a severe case of Covid 19, the severe case is the one that will kill you. A mild case and you can basically ride it out with fever fighting meds, a moderate, you need to go to a Doctor. All these experts mention whatthey use, but notice none of them tell what severity was the patient. One Doctor, told me a mild case is nothing to laugh at, but many people can shake it off, or as he said rub dirt on it and get back in the game.

Here are 2 articles about Dr Emmanuel, you south Texas guys, she is in Houston. your choice.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/stella-imm...roxychloroquine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53579773

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherShe lost me when she mentioned the other Doctors, one DR Stella Emmanuel is not one I would go to. Most people will not get a severe case of Covid 19, the severe case is the one that will kill you. A mild case and you can basically ride it out with fever fighting meds, a moderate, you need to go to a Doctor. All these experts mention whatthey use, but notice none of them tell what severity was the patient. One Doctor, told me a mild case is nothing to laugh at, but many people can shake it off, or as he said rub dirt on it and get back in the game.

Here are 2 articles about Dr Emmanuel, you south Texas guys, she is in Houston. your choice.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/stella-imm...roxychloroquine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53579773

Dogcatcher, you are really quite amazing. You present your argument based on your opinion which is based on an article from the Daily Beast? Really? I am not a doctor but I strongly suspect that you are not a doctor either. Other than 'The Daily Beast' what is your medical expertise based on? I suspect that your 'research' went only as far as a Google search of hydroxychloroquine.

The Covid pandemic is somewhat reminiscent of days gone by in which many "Medicine Men" cruised the west by wagon, peddling their miracle cure "snake oil" remedies to heal the world. Prior to that, it was "water from the fountain of youth".

Today is no different; when people are concerned about their health, they are more susceptible to those who prey on these fears for fame or fortune.

As has been pointed out, there are however, those who have had at least limited success with their remedies, but all claim to have "the one". If the need arises, I plan to seek medical advice from one (or more) of my trusted local Doctors, as I have faith that he has done the research on the various claims, and is much more qualified than I to evaluate the efficacy of one over the other.

Regards,
hm

Nicely said hm. The issue of healthcare and medicine becomes even more convoluted when politics before an election enters into it. Add to that the mainstream media picking sides and you have an impossible situation resulting in people dying.

https://fox4kc.com/news/president-trump-praises-doctor-who-claimed-alien-dna-was-used-in-medicine/

Quote:WASHINGTON D.C. — President Donald Trump abruptly ended his press briefing on the coronavirus on Tuesday, July 29, after a series of questions about Dr. Stella Immanuel, a little-known Houston-based physician featured in a video the President retweeted

“Mr. President, the woman that you said is a great doctor in that video that you retweeted last night said masks don’t work and there is a cure for COVID-19, both of which health experts say is not true. She’s also made videos saying that doctors make medicine using DNA from aliens, and that they’re trying to create a vaccine to make you immune from becoming religious,” a reporter asked.

Reporter Kaitlan Collins went on to press Trump: “It’s misinformation.”

“I don’t know which country she comes from, but she said that she’s had tremendous success with hundreds of different patients,” Trump said. “And I thought her voice was an important voice, but I know nothing about her.”

When Collins asked a follow-up question about Immanuel’s dismissal of wearing face masks — which Trump himself advocated last week — the President walked away from the podium, though on Wednesday he continued to say he was “very impressed” by Immanuel.

‘Patriotic’: Trump now appears to encourage masks as he preps COVID-19 briefings
On her website and in sermons posted on YouTube, Immanuel practices medicine at Rehoboth Medical Center, a clinic in Houston, and is the founder of the Fire Power Ministries church. On her website and in sermons posted on YouTube, she has, among other things, claimed that sex with “tormenting spirits” is responsible for gynecological problems, miscarriages and impotence.

“Many women suffer from astral sex regularly. Astral sex is the ability to project one’s spirit man into the victim’s body and have intercourse with it,” she once claimed in a sermon. Immanuel has not responded to CNN’s efforts to contact her for comment.

The Daily Beast also said that Immanuel has suggested in previous sermons that alien DNA was used in medical treatments and that scientists are plotting to develop a “vaccine” to make it impossible to become religious. The Daily Beast reported on her remarks on Tuesday, and, according to Immanuel, did a “great job summarizing our deliverance ministry and exposing incubus and succubus.”

Immanuel received her medical degree from a university in Nigeria in 1990, according to the Texas Medical Board database. On her Facebook page, Immanuel says she was born in Cameroon and describes herself as “God’s battle axe and weapon of war.”

In the video, which was livestreamed by the right-wing media outlet Breitbart News and shared by Trump on Monday, Immanuel makes claims about coronavirus that run counter to multiple studies and advice from public health officials, including the Trump administration’s own health experts. Breitbart did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.

Social media sites scrub viral video shared by Trump making false coronavirus claims
“This virus has a cure, it’s called hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and Zithromax,” Immanuel says, despite several high-quality studies that show the anti-malarial drug alone or in combination with others does not help Covid-19 patients.

She goes on to say, “I know people want to talk about a mask. Hello, you don’t need masks, there is a cure.”

She also claimed that hiccups were a direct sign of COVID-19. Hiccups are not one of many vetted and confirmed symptoms listed on health websites, including the CDC and the Mayo Clinic.

The video featured Immanuel among a group of people wearing white lab coats who call themselves “America’s Frontline Doctors” staging a press conference, organized by the Tea Party Patriots, in front of the US Supreme Court in Washington, DC.

The video was removed from Facebook, YouTube and Twitter after amassing millions of views and thousands of shares.

While she has alleged that face masks are unnecessary, Immanuel appears to be wearing an N95 mask in a video shared on her clinic’s Facebook page and encourages visitors to the clinic seeking treatment to wear face coverings.

Back