What gun mounted Light do I need ? I want something that really throws a beam .

NDAR15MAN

I posted this question in the AR15 RIFLE SECTION but did not get a whole lot of info. Thank you guys that did respond.
I thought i would post in the Night Vision Section and hope to get some more info.
I bought a AR15 7.62x39 cal gun. It’s a cheap brand but a real accurate gun. I want to put a lot of accessories on this gun , really PIMP it out. Every thing but the kitchen sink on this gun because I have other AR15 gunsI hunt with and one that has a D760 scope on it.
Question.... I want to add a light to the rail on this Ar15 Gun , should I even think about using one of these predator hunting lights or go with a more traditional light like a Stream light OR Sure Fire AR15 weapon lights of 1000 to 4000 lumms ? Go with Dual color light , white and red color or 3 colors ? I leaning towards one of these high dollar predator hunting lights like a Wicked LIGHT OR Coyote Reaper, etc. i want to use this light for both predator hunting and Defense Tatical. What do you guys think would give me the brightest light and dual purpose light ? I am stunned on how accurate this Bear Creek Armory 7.62x39 AR15 Gun is with use to be 18 cent around ammo. thanks. Marty

My Croatian hunting guard killed a fox at 220 yards at night with this flashlight, LEDLENSER MT14, it's great. It has 5 color possibilities which, they say, serves to: 1) white without any filter for maximum power with a capacity of up to 350 yards; 2) with a light green filter that is not perceived by the coyotes; 3) with a light red filter that is not perceived by the hogs; 4) with blue filter to reveal traces of blood; 5) with yellow filter to see with the fog.

Here you can find it for sale in the USA :

https://www.ledlenserusa.com/collections/outdoor-flashlights/products/mt14

Here you can find it for sale in Italy :

https://scubla.it/it/prodotti/equipaggia...4-4-detail.html

with these accessories:

https://scubla.it/it/prodotti/equipaggia...4-1-detail.html

https://scubla.it/it/prodotti/equipaggia...4-8-detail.html

https://scubla.it/it/prodotti/equipaggia...t14-detail.html

Last edited:
You need to be logged in but this will get you all your answers

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=search

Lumens are not the measure of throw. Changing the focus of a zoom light you doesn't adjust the brightness of a light, you're altering how the light is concentrated.

Here's an old post I did long before zoom lights were even on the market

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...726#Post2293726

Any of the lights on the market today will work. I'm not a bells and whistle guy, I want a light to come on and I pull the trigger. I prefer just red. Any of the zooms will work and Night Eyes are a really good light.

Last edited:
First thanks for the info on lights. Guys I am wondering why the predator hunters like my self buy predator hunting lights like the wicked brand , coyote reaper , night eyes , Etc but these lights do not ever list the Lum
Number in their advertisements of their lights or spec sheets ? Please correct me if I am wrong and missed it. The folks in the AR15 gun world seem to all use weapon lights with number of Lums that the light gives off in their advertisements. So one of my questions is a AR15 weapon light not a good light for Coyote or Hog hunting ? Is a predator hunting light like ones mentioned above only good for predator hunting and would not make a good personal defense light ? I am not really getting any information on this question and hope to reach out to sone folks that can help me with this question and can support their opinions on what one is better than the other and why it is better or both are equal. Some of the AR15 defense lights even have red and green color with 2000 to 6000 Lums and are only 4 to 7 inches long. Thanks. MD

Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANThe folks in the AR15 gun world seem to all use weapon lights with number of Lums that the light gives off in their advertisements. So one of my questions is a AR15 weapon light not a good light for Coyote or Hog hunting ? Already been answered. Lumens are not the measure of throw. You need focused throw for a coyote light, you don't for a home defense light. Tactical lights usually lack throw by design, they usually have small and shallow compact reflectors compared to a hunting light with a larger deeper reflector and more throw. In summery, an AR15 tactical light will generally make a poor hunting light.

CoyoteLight makes great hunting lights with the features you need: dimmable, focusable, color options.

https://www.ledlenserusa.com/collections/flashlights/products/x21r

This is the most powerful rechargeable battery flashlight in the world. I think it's great for surveillance and security. See an intruder in your fields up to 880 yards at night. Bad that it goes, if he gets too close, you can give him this flashlight on his head. You certainly don't kill him, but surely you won't do well .....
Sorry and forgive me, but sometimes you also have to joke and smile a little in distraction, in these tragic moments ....

Last edited:
Until I got night vision just a month ago,the Wicked Cote Light ,red served me well ,however there is a learning curve,start on low and hit the target with the halo from 12 Oclock and move down as you're increasing beams intensity.Once I got this down shooting anything at night was pretty easy. Don't blast eyes with the high intensity beam ,will spook some varmints.Once you can see your crosshairs on target fire away. 200 yards is easy with this light,farthest I've shot,a long way at night,most encounters a 100 yds or less.

Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANFirst thanks for the info on lights. Guys I am wondering why the predator hunters like my self buy predator hunting lights like the wicked brand , coyote reaper , night eyes , Etc but these lights do not ever list the Lum
Number in their advertisements of their lights or spec sheets ? Please correct me if I am wrong and missed it. The folks in the AR15 gun world seem to all use weapon lights with number of Lums that the light gives off in their advertisements. So one of my questions is a AR15 weapon light not a good light for Coyote or Hog hunting ? Is a predator hunting light like ones mentioned above only good for predator hunting and would not make a good personal defense light ? I am not really getting any information on this question and hope to reach out to sone folks that can help me with this question and can support their opinions on what one is better than the other and why it is better or both are equal. Some of the AR15 defense lights even have red and green color with 2000 to 6000 Lums and are only 4 to 7 inches long. Thanks. MD

LUMENS ARE NOT A MEASURE OF THROW, IT IS A MEASURE OF OVERALL BRIGHTNESS OF A LIGHT. READ THE ABOVE LINK

I am leaning towards a Light made by Olight , model is the Warrior X Pro light. 90,000 candela , 2250 Lums. Advertised throw of 600 meters. Freind of mine has one and I hope I can see how it throws the light this weekend. Still considering Wicked light , Coyote reaper , Nike Eyes , Coyote light brands. Marty

Last edited:
Maybe this will help...

Hunting you want THROW.

SD and indoors you want FLOOD/SPILL.

As mentioned, the higher the candela rating, the more FLOOD/SPILL outside the hot spot.

As already pointed out, LUMENS is brightness and really doesn't represent the beam/throw capability.

IMO, you're going to have to decide if you want more throw vs. flood/spill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NDAR15MAN Advertised throw of 600 meters.

https://www.olightstore.com/warrior-x-pro-bk.html?msclkid=beab6da3cff71a2e385b333394535e00

How do they measure throw?

Warrior X Pro light doesn't look like it zooms so for home tactical a tight narrow beam wouldn't be very good. Never heard of that battery, and I wouldn't be tied down to a rechargeable light in a hunting situation, pretty useless in the field if the battery goes dead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANI am leaning towards a Light made by Olight , model is the Warrior X Pro light. 90,000 candela , 2250 Lums. Advertised throw of 600 meters. Freind of mine has one and I hope I can see how it throws the light this weekend. Still considering Wicked light , Coyote reaper , Nike Eyes , Coyote light brands. Marty My opinion, that will make a poor hunting light. It's too bright and has no option to dim. You'll end up spooking critters with that much bright white light in their face especially up close.

Come to a night hunting forum, ask for advice, ignore that advice and go with an option that literally no other night hunters use... Classic reason why so many ignore helping newbie questions like this and keep quiet.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG Come to a night hunting forum, ask for advice, ignore that advice and go with an option that literally no other night hunters use... Classic reason why so many ignore helping newbie questions like this and keep quiet.

He's been around 10 years
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: NDAR15MANI am leaning towards a Light made by Olight , model is the Warrior X Pro light. 90,000 candela , 2250 Lums. Advertised throw of 600 meters. Freind of mine has one and I hope I can see how it throws the light this weekend. Still considering Wicked light , Coyote reaper , Nike Eyes , Coyote light brands. Marty My opinion, that will make a poor hunting light. It's too bright and has no option to dim. You'll end up spooking critters with that much bright white light in their face especially up close.

Come to a night hunting forum, ask for advice, ignore that advice and go with an option that literally no other night hunters use... Classic reason why so many ignore helping newbie questions like this and keep quiet.

I own a Warrior X and soft push on the tail cap switch gives you 600 lumen with decent throw. Hard push gives you 2000 lumens with fantastic throw.
BS know it all/ no nothing answers like yours is why I rarely come to these boards anymore.
OP: Personally I like the Streamlight TLR1 HPL for shooting at night.
Great light, great company, great value. This 700 lumen light out throws my SF x300u 1000k lumen.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66
Great light, great company, great value. This 700 lumen light out throws my SF x300u 1000k lumen.

Any idea how they came up with those lumen claims?

Guys thanks for the help. Like I said in my first post I have a D760 night vision scope and also a Flir 64 hand held Thermal. Before that I was a big nite light user. Nite light was a good light for me , a little big and when my money got greener went to NV / thermal.
Lot of new lights since I had that nite light 20 years ago or so. Anyway like said wanted to get rifle light for those states that do not allow NV. I looked at the Olight warrior pro x last night outside. Nice light for what I need it for. Shoots a heck of beam for such a small light. I am going to order mine with both a red and green lens cap. Kind of a dual purpose light for me. I think I am going to get the magnet light holder for the Ar15 rifle. I can just snap it off and on gun in closet when I want to go catfishing or just leave on the rifle for the looters when they hit the garage if we don’t get all back to work soon. If you guys get a chance take a look at that Olight you might be surprised. $129.00 but you can do a lot of stuff with it. it’s all about dual purpose now. The good days are behind me know I am afraid. Thanks for all the help. Marty .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NDAR15MAN I am going to order mine with both a red and green lens cap. Kind of a dual purpose light for me.

What happens to the 600 yard throw when you put a filter on it?

Red or Greene snap on filter the throw goes down to about 1/2 distance 300 yards or so looks like to me. Which is not bad. With me already having a D760 and Flir 64 thermal I am looking at a dual purpose light. Predator light in states that I can Not use NV and thermal and use this as predator hunting light , tactical light and a regular flash light. For me it looks like a very good dual purpose light. MD

Back