best ice chest/cooler

shanedogg

hey guys what is the best cooler/ice chest in your opinion??? i have owned several brands and when it comes to ice retention the coleman extreme w/ the thick lid is the best i've had...as long as you "pre cool" it, it will hold good ice for 3 days in 90deg weather, not the 5 days they claim...in the market and want a yeti, but dont have the coin....whats your best/favorite cooler/ice chest???

I have a super cooler (kinda the original yeti) Outback.
I stop in Gunnison Colorado to buy groceries and ice for three weeks in the high country elk hunting. The eight blocks of ice i put on bottom will last the whole time I'm there. That's archery season too so farely warm temps.
These, like the Yeti are spendy but I think well worth it.

Yeti.

DSC_0197.jpg

Yeti : I can't afford one the size I want either. Check out the pelican coolers. Similar to yeti and s little cheaper...but still not cheap enough that I can get one in the size I want.

Iowa Rotocast porducts. I have one of these and they are great.

http://www.irpinc.com/products/products_industry;jsessionid=139AC65A1AEF7F7CF5FC318113FFC49D.vipa-07b?node=4889

I guess it didn't link, but just google Iowa rotocast products.

Last edited:
little casey told me "when i go to alaska hunting i'm going to throw a black bear head behind camp and put in a water station.
so the grizz don't break into my yeti cooler."

Rubbermaid 102qt marine, with drain plug (they make one w/out...can`t hardly stand a cooler w/no drain).
$99.00
Never heard of YETI, but it looks like they would last a lifetime.

I think the coleman is the best inexpensive cooler. Now It doesn't cost near as much as a yeti but I'm not trying to compare it to a yeti either. You know there are a few things you can do to keep ice a little longer. I freeze bottle water and put in my coleman and I only put things in that are already cooled by fridge. Keep it in the shade and try and stay out of it as much as possible and it will keep ice as long as any cooler in its price range.

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping old thread but I thi k this needs to be addressed. Yeti is obviously the brand of choice if you don't care about price. You can also look at Grizzly or Orca. You should take a look at these reviews:

http://thereviewgurus.com/reviews/best-ice-chest/

They do a good job breaking down coolers by size, price range, and insulation. There are lota of coolers in between igloo and yeti that offer good value. You just have to find these gems.

Last edited:
ARB fridge/freezer
smile.gif
. I've frozen bottled water in 90+ temp with it for a guy with a Yeti that had got all swimmy.

- DAA

I have Yeti Tundra Haul Portable Wheeled cooler, and it's the best I've ever had. Yeti is one of the most popular and the best cooler brands, and think that it deserves to be called so. It isn't a cheap brand, but the capacity and other characteristics are high. And the fact that it has wheels is a huge benefit because it's easy to transport it. If you're looking for a new cooler, I recommend you read review of the best-wheeled coolers in 2020. There are I think 13 of them with the detailed characteristic of each of them, and also there are all the pros and cons, so you'll be able to compare them. Also, you can be redirected to Amazon to check the price. I hope that review will help you somehow.

Originally Posted By: bigcmapleSorry for bumping old thread but I thi k this needs to be addressed. Yeti is obviously the brand of choice if you don't care about price. You can also look at Grizzly or Orca. You should take a look at these reviews:

http://thereviewgurus.com/reviews/best-ice-chest/

They do a good job breaking down coolers by size, price range, and insulation. There are lota of coolers in between igloo and yeti that offer good value. You just have to find these gems.

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thumbup1.gif

I have several Yeti but I've found Rtic to be identical in every way but the price... they don't have as many options but they almost always have great sales...

Although I would love a fridge like DAA, that's not in the cards right now. For Christmas I got a cooler made by Cordova. They're veteran owned, made in the US, and staunch 2A supporters (their slogan is "2A is in our DNA." It's been a great cooler. Check them out.

I have an older Coleman 12v cooler that will just lower the outside temp by 40 degrees or so so in the summer it worked as a cooler but you had to be careful not to freeze things. During pheasant season we plugged it into the outlet in the camp grounds and used it to freeze birds, we'd eat a couple every day and put a couple in the cooler. There was no temp control so it was kind of a pain to use. The one DAA showed looked pretty nice, they have a 35 quart with temp control that will switch from cooler to freezer(handy) for $299 and from the reviews a lot of truckers use them in the cab so they don't have to eat Truck Stop food. I need to do a little math and see if my small 100w 70ah battery solar system will support it.

I picked up a cooler, "Lifetime 28qt" at Walmart on sale last summer. I put a block of ice in it before leaving for the PM convention and had to buy ice at the convention that lasted till I got home 14 days, we kept lunchmeat, veggies, butter and coffee creamer in it. Usually I have to get ice more often, I like it. I was hoping to arrow some carp this spring and bring home fillets for the smoker but like just about everyone else plans are on hold.

Last edited:
Yetis are high priced cause the co sends millions to anti-gun
organizations.

Product may be good but it is a shame any gun guys would ever buy such a product. I told my local hardware it is too bad he sells the stuff and my reason for saying so.

See lots of gun guiys wearing Levis also--another anti company.
YUK..

Back