Pulsar Digex NV Scope

Originally Posted By: Ohiolongarm Nice videos,gots mine today,will take me a month to figure it out. How easy was it to sight in?what distance can you clearly identify ,and feel comfortable taking a shot ,with this unit. THX

Just start pushing buttons and you'll figure it out OLA --- just kidding. It does take some fiddling around with it to get comfortable like most of these newfangled fancy things (at least for me). Sighting in is very easy once you figure the buttons to push. Took me 3 shots today to zero at 50 yards in the back yard area. I had to refer to the full manual on the Pulsar website for the details on adjusting zero. DIGEX Mine only took a few clicks to zero as it was pretty close upon mounting to the rifle.

Those deer in the first video were about 150-175 yards I think and they would be easy shots. Havent stretched it out to distances longer than that yet but will see what I can see tonight when it gets dark if its not pouring down rain! I would think over 200 would be doable but time will tell.

When I get a chance to get up to my range I'll sight in at 100 and 150. Most my shots are under 100 yards.

Video I was refer too was the deer at 175. What was the magnification in that video, and how does the FOV compare to your ATN?

THX,for the insight ,most shots at night are usually 75 to 100 yds,so I think I'll be fine. Predators feel safe at night that's for sure.Keep us posted.

Originally Posted By: pmackVideo I was refer too was the deer at 175. What was the magnification in that video, and how does the FOV compare to your ATN?

Just hit that area with my rangefinder and its 150 yards...my mistake. Seemed further off last night. Anyway, that was at 4 power magnification. FOV seems about the same as my ATN even though its lowest setting is 4X. The ATNs lowest is 3X.

I'm rigging up a way to mount my 850 light on it for tonights runs and see how it does for some comparisons.

Maybe tomorrow I can figure out a way to get both guns/scopes up and take some video with them side by side under the same conditions for comparison....gonna take some work but I think I can figure something out.

Set them up on bags side by side aimed at the same object. Leave the lights on each gun and just switch lights on and off, no need to move the lights gun to gun.....just my 2 cents.

That 940 does look good, Id be happy with that at 150 yards.

Last edited:
Burns I'm with pmack. It appears that your IR light is still aimed low. I think you will "light up" your target much better if you raise the IR beam up a little.

Originally Posted By: pmackSet them up on bags side by side aimed at the same object. Leave the lights on each gun and just switch lights on and off, no need to move the lights gun to gun.....just my 2 cents.

That 940 does look good, Id be happy with that at 150 yards.

I'll take that advice and see what I can come up with tonight. Just ranged my property and most distance I can get is 200 yards but that should suffice. Thanks

Took these tonight.

First two videos taken when still light out this evening. Full cloud cover. 200 yards to the power pole and road with fences. Road curves away so when I panned left, distance increases to about 230-250 yards I would guess.

DIGEX
[video:youtube][/video]

ATN

After dark. Same position looking at same area

DIGEX (with IR light on)

ATN (With standard IR and 850pro turning on midway)

more to come....

Burn, pertaining to the night footage, is that with the 940 light that came with the Digex? If so, that’s pretty good for a 940. The 4k with the 850 pro looked pretty good too. The view was somewhat dim around the edges, probably due to a tighter focus.

200 yards for a digital is plenty good, I think.

Alrighty then.....

Over to the bait area. 70 yards, total darkness, cloudy weather with a big storm heading my way. A few of my regulars show up like clockwork every night.

ATN 4K with standard IR light

ATN 4K with IR Pro and standard IR light on

DIGEX

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Burn, pertaining to the night footage, is that with the 940 light that came with the Digex? If so, that’s pretty good for a 940. The 4k with the 850 pro looked pretty good too. The view was somewhat dim around the edges, probably due to a tighter focus.

200 yards for a digital is plenty good, I think.

Yes the DIGEX is with the 940 light that came with the unit. It seems to work pretty good (I thought much better than the standard light on the ATN). The ATN 850 Pro throws a pretty good beam but its focused a bit tight per my personal preference.

What light is the standard light?”

The ATN with both lights looked great, but that’s a lot of IR signature. The second Digex video seems to have a bit more magnification than the first. The view is pretty good. The Digex seems to have the light fill the view better for a more evenly spaced illumination than the ATN.

I know your eye sees better than what video indicates, so have you reached a conclusion yet? It may be too early to answer, but I’ll throw it out there anyway - do you think the Digex is worth $500-$600 or so more than the 4k?

I know I speak for others too when I say “thank you” for your time and effort with this comparson. Hope to see more as you put the new scope through its paces.

6mm - I should have been more clear but was throwing a lot of videos up there and forgot to mention a couple of things. I should have included that on my gun with the 4K, it has 2 IR lights...the "standard one" (850) that comes with the scope, as well as a 2nd light I mounted on the other side of the gun, that one being the 850 Pro. So I'm running two IR lights on the gun with the 4K. As you mentioned, that's A LOT of IR signature and I would say it is needed to reach out there at distance with the 4K. Really pushes its limits I'd say to anything beyond 200 yards when talking about positive ID and the ability to take a shot.

The DIGEX videos show the 940 light that came with it, and it appears to fill the view more evenly and seems to work better at 200 yards than blasting both IR lights with the 4K. I think the DIGEX has the edge over the 4K at distance. Add to that its "invisible" IR to boot and not detectable (no red glow at source) I think thats an advantage.

Tough question about the price. If you add the price of the 4K and the extra light & mount I run, I'd say its probably within 100-200 bucks of the DIGEX. The DIGEX has a lot of nice features and is probably more "refined" in the sense that everything on it makes sense and is well thought out. They both get the job done.

I plan to put some more time in with it - only out 2 nights so far. Hope to get a video of more animals at night and see what it sees. Will try to post more as time goes by AND if it ever stops pouring down rain around here! Speaking of rain, the DIGEX is waterproof and the 4K is not so thats another angle...

It'd be good to get others inputs as they are getting out in the field now

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Burnsome...6mm - I should have been more clear but was throwing a lot of videos up there and forgot to mention a couple of things. I should have included that on my gun with the 4K, it has 2 IR lights...the "standard one" (850) that comes with the scope, as well as a 2nd light I mounted on the other side of the gun, that one being the 850 Pro. So I'm running two IR lights on the gun with the 4K. As you mentioned, that's A LOT of IR signature and I would say it is needed to reach out there at distance with the 4K. Really pushes its limits I'd say to anything beyond 200 yards when talking about positive ID and the ability to take a shot.

Burnsome thanks for all your efforts and the videos. From what I've read for reviews over in the UK the Digex is a step up but not for the extra $$ required. Looking at your videos both scopes would be an improvement from my original Photon XT. I've got a custom built 850 IR and have no problems shooting 200 yards and even beyond if conditions are right. I'm looking for video capabilities, zoom or PIP capabilities but don't want to give up any FOV. I may have missed it but any possibility you can share a video with both scopes using the same IR light. Doesn't matter which IR, by doing that you would take the IR variable out of the test and you'd just be comparing the scopes them selves.

Last edited:

Thanks again Burn.

My 850nm TR-38 cost me less than $100 shipped from the UK. It's bright and what I have been using with the 4k. I also have a 50mm and a 67mm head for the light, but the 38 seems to work fine. The larger heads allow for a tighter focus but not more power or light, just focus, so I use the 38. Considering that a 4k can be had for close to $600 and another $100 for a good light, that's still a good difference in cost between the two scopes. However, if resolution, light-gathering ability, ease of use, reliability etc. is better with the Digex, then I would say it might be worth the difference in price.

Like Pmack, it would be nice to test both scopes using the same IR lights. That will give an apples to apples assessment. I don't need a lot of range also since my bait site is only 60 yards from my shack, but I can possibly get 100 yard shots at times too. I am also curious if you can see any glow from the 940 light that came with the Digex at ranges under 100 yards.

Back