2 out of 3

lockrotor

Went out to this property that my buddy and I haven't been to in month. When we got there and were talking on where to set because of the wind and snow crunch. A group start to howl about 200 yds straight east of us, sweet, its 5:30am. We go and get set up and wait. A group of turkeys start to gobble to the east of us about 400yds plus. Then a group starts to howl to the south east of us. Then another group starts to group to the east of me about 400yds plus. I'm thinking not good, the group that howled when we got there has moved to the east. I let a howl rip to see if I can get them to come back. Another group lets out a howl in the swamp just to the east of me 150yds. Sweet. Put on Vole squeak and let it play for 7 mins, switch to ground Hog distress, 5 minutes later I see 2 coming out of the swamp and moving to the south and making a loop to get down wind of the call. Get her in the scope and put the dot on her. She stops and then click, action the bolt and click, I'm pretty sure that I short stroke the action. I make sure that I fully action it the third time. Bark at her, she stops, boom and down shes goes 150yds.

49604126843_1411bdb855_c.jpg

We named her tripod. She is a old coyote, missing teeth and a lot of them are wore down. The front leg is fully healed and she was moving with no problems. We have know about her for about 3 weeks when the land owner saw her in the swamp edge and took this picture. She has a white tip tail and alot of white in the chest. I'm thinking coy dog?

49604131318_99416ff49c_c.jpg

The second coyote took off and make a small loop and stopped, boom and down goes the male. It is a very nice looking male and the coat still looks great. We weight it and it went 35#.
49604628001_1a586bd74d_c.jpg

Took the call off of pup distress and put another sound on it and waited. Nothing was coming in so I put one last sound on it before we call it a done. Well a third one came in from the north, well needles to say I missed it at 250 yds. I Should of had a triple, but I'm always happy with a double. This farm has produced 7 coyotes this year. Last year was only 2. Only once this year, was a no show from this farm.

And as always, thanks for looking and reading.

We have killed several three legged coyotes over the years, and named one of them " Tripod". I would guess she is just a regular coyote. Nice pictures.

What a great way to start the day, hearing coyotes, turkey's,and then more coyotes.
Following up by scoring two coyotes and having the opportunity at a third makes for a special day! WTG

Good morning hunt.
That one looks ALL coyote though. Eastern ones can have some wierd colorations.
Nice work
cool.gif

Back