What States allow a Illuminator at night and a laser or firearm ?

NDAR15MAN

Guys. I have been posting a couple State specific questions on what is legal in your state on the way to hunt predators.
Question....
1.... I would like to know what States allow a illuminator on your gun WITH night vision on gun to hunt predators ?
2.... What States allow a laser to be used on your gun to hunt predators night or during the day ?
3.....And I guess while we are at it... What states allow a light attached to a gun to hunt predators ?
I am curious what my home state of ILL and the State of Iowa we’re I live now do allow predator hunting with night vision but do not allow a illuminator ? Can any one shed a light ( ha ha ha ) on why that would be ??? Thanks. Marty

Last edited:
Florida = NV, Thermal, lasers, suppressors, SBRs, machine guns and whatever else you want for night hunting predators.

Thanks for the info. Not to change the title of my original question ....
Also I wonder why states like ILL , Iowa allow night hunting and daylight predator hunting BUT NOT with illuminator or a laser ? Do you think Game Wardens / DNR Depts consider it a fair chase issue or something to do with Deer poaching or both ? Maybe a Game Warden can jump in here on their thoughts of part 2 of my question. Keep the info coming in. Thanks. Marty

Last edited:
Heymartay .... I moved from Rockford to Iowa 4 years ago and I am almost certain you cannot use a illuminator with your night vision. Unless they changed the law recently. I don’t have one of those game law pamphlets when you buy your hunting license but maybe you could check or another reader can confirm for us. I would like to know , I have brother still in ILL and might buy a non Resident lic and night hunt with him if they have change law and let you use one. Thanks. Marty

ND now allows red/green/amber lights for coyotes, IR lights with NV, and thermal optics during the night hunting season which starts the day after deer rifle season closes and runs to march 15th.

I've been riding the NDGF about changing the "night hunting season dates" to include the entire year except the 16.5 days of rifle deer season... They are reluctant for now, but someday I will break their souls and get them to do what I want!

Little Andy. ..:.. Yes big thanks to you all the hunters who got the night vision law changed in ND. When I lived and worked there 2006-2013 I could not go night hunting. Had to keep night vision gun at home. Marty

Illinois does not restrict the type of sights or scopes of for hunting coyotes including laser sights and night vision scopes. That’s right out of the book. I’ve been using a nemesis with Ir for the last 3 years. Wisconsin you can use ir on your scope but you cannot scan with it, only at point of aim, so use a scanner let the gun sit till you shoot.

Heymartay.... thanks for the good info on the ILL. I stand corrected. I sure did not know you could use a illuminator with your night vision in ILL. . Next year going to try buy a non-resident lic and get back to Rockford area and do some coyote hunting with my brother. Learning a lot with this question I posted. Hope to see some more info on what other states are doing. Thanks for your help. Marty

Last edited:
Back