Shot Size for Coons??

Texforce

What shot size out of 12 gauge do you guys prefer for shooting coons? We will be attempting to call them up. I appreciate any input. Thanks, and Good Huntin'

I've done well w 4s. Make sure you pattern them and see what works in your setup. Know your range limits and you will do fine

Well, Wyoming, I don't think 22lr will pattern very well out of the 12 gauge......but I do appreciate the "wisdom"........they're on EVERY site for guys looking to share knowledgeable information. 22lr answer on a 12 gauge question....... give me a break !!!

3" BB or #4 buckshot. Those big boar raccoons can be tough. It's better to have too much than too little. The way I see it is you can't kill them too dead. I'd rather do that than have something run off.

I grew up coon hunting with dogs, they can be hard to kill.

Key is to hit them in the head. Know where your shotgun patterns vs where you aim. When you shoot one, start squalling with your call. Expect multiples.

22 LR with Mini Mag HP works well, but often they are not going to stand still and pose for a still shot.

Originally Posted By: TexforceWell, Wyoming, I don't think 22lr will pattern very well out of the 12 gauge......but I do appreciate the "wisdom"........they're on EVERY site for guys looking to share knowledgeable information. 22lr answer on a 12 gauge question....... give me a break !!!

lol

you think hunting boards are bad, try an off road 4x4 board.
lol.gif

Careful Brad

I actually use a 30/30 with cast for my called coon. [/quote]
Not a 12 ga.

In all fairness, maybe he can't use anything but a shotgun in that area. Sorry too impose.

Shots at called coons are generally close. I've not had problems with lead #4 birdshot from a full choke to the head at 30 yards and under. Good old school lead #2 goose loads would be ideal. Can't find those anymore, so #4's it is.

I load up and alternate BB and 4 buck when I go out calling. I’d rather have shot size to big for the coon, as opposed to too small for coyotes. Of course I go out with the intentions to call coyotes, but will call to a coon if I see them and season is in. BB is the one chambered, 4 buck is the follow up. Works on skunks too when they come cruising by.

Originally Posted By: coloradocelt2x4 duplex turkey loads work awesome!

I guess you dont have a 22lr. I wouldnt use shotgun cause I dont have and couldnt afford many duplexes. I guess the other responder couldnt either.

I bought a case of federal 1 7/8 oz lead BB shot shot. It knocks me pretty good. I’ve drilled a lot with my 10 gauge using 2oz #5 turkey loads and blow them sideways out of the trees with it DRT every time. Any turkey loads will get it done. Just aim for the head of course.

Last edited:
Back