Tungsten Reloading for Beginner

sureshotshane

I have reloaded rifle ammo for years. It kept me plenty busy, but now I’m interested in shotshell reloading for mostly one reason, to make high quality non-toxic loads for predator hunting. Everything must be non-toxic in California and I’m having a really hard time finding good ammo locally, and what little stuff is available is way overpriced, so I’m pretty much forced to reload, or at least that’s what I’ll tell my wife.

I read through a shotshell reloading handbook. However, most books are focused on lead, with a little bit of steel. Neither of which I’m that interested in reloading.

I’m mostly looking into reloading tungsten (the 18 g/cm variety) I’m thinking #2 - #4 for coyote, leaning towards #3 shot. I see very little published data on loads, none really. And so I’m hesitant on pulling the trigger on buying a shotshell press. It’s my understanding, correct me if I’m wrong, they don’t really make charge bars for tungsten shot and so I’ll have to weigh out all the shot individually. Making a progressive press nearly pointless? Or can a universal charge bar be used on tungsten? Recommendations on presses and other essentials to get me started, given this scenario is appreciated?

Secondly, since I have yet to see any data for 18g/cm tungsten shot, I’m unsure what wads, powder and fillers and other components I’ll need, and the availability of those components. I’d hate to buy a press, buy some shot just to find out the components aren’t available. Where do you purchase these products? I know that Ballistic Products is a common supplier.

Where are you’ll buying your tungsten shot? I see a couple foreign companies doing a quick search and also Prairiewind Decoys, can anyone recommend them or someone else?

I see several people on here are very successful with tungsten on coyotes. I realize I have a ton to learn regarding shotshell reloading, the terminology, etc. especially for tungsten. It’s really frustrating not being able to find ammo that is suitable, so I figured I might as well start reloading because I can get all the components to make ammo shipped to my door, just can’t get the ammo to the door. Plus, it will be something to do this summer when it’s 110 degrees outside.

This would be for 12 gauge 3” shells.

Thanks!

Go to ballisticproducts.com they sell everything including tungsten shot. It is going to cost you about 7-8 dollars a shot if you reload.Tungsten is 45 dollars a pound at 11/2 oz a shell that is 10 rounds a pound plus primers ,wads, and powder. It will add up quick.

The only thing my shotshell press has ever been used for is crimping.

All my coyote shotgun ammo, whether HTL or buckshot, I weigh and pour both powder and shot by hand. I only use new hulls for coyote ammo, so don't ever even have to be concerned with primers.

I got my press off the local classifieds for the very low price I was looking to spend - knowing I'd only be using it to crimp.

A lot of guys prefer to roll crimp TSS, which is done with it's own tools and in that case a shotshell press wouldn't be needed at all. I've never messed with roll crimping myself though, and have been perfectly happy with the results fold crimping.

I bought TSS from Hal Abbott, hganc@aol.com, he has all the data to go with the shot.

Oh, and you mentioned 3" shells... All my TSS loads are 2-3/4", but Hal has 3" data too.

untitled-1W.jpg

20170602_TSS%20Pattern%20Test-301W.jpg

20170602_TSS%20Pattern%20Test-303W.jpg

- DAA

Bear - yes it's going to be expensive, as far as I can tell Ballistic Products only has small shot (7,9) not 2-4 in the SpheroTungsten?

DAA - Is this Hal fellow used to getting random emails from folks looking to purchase shot?

I'm not opposed to reloading 2 3/4" shells, how many ounces of shot in the 2 3/4?

Thanks for the information, sounds like a cheap press will do.

You can also buy HW13 BB shot from Bucks Run Sports Supply for right at $26.00 per pound in ten pound bags. The HW13 BB shot is close to being 12g/cc shot, it is denser than lead shot and much harder than lead shot so it out performs lead BB shot by quite a bit.

To order from Bucks Run Sports Supply you have to call them. 1-507-356-2195

If you go with the HW13 BB shot I would load 1-1/2 oz of it in 3" hulls. I use the Ballistic Products Inc "BPI" TPS 2-3/4"wads in the 3" coyote loads I made.

The TSS shot takes up much less space in the hull and wad so you don't need to load 3" hulls with it, if you don't want to.

If you want some load test data that I have send me your e-mail address in a PM.

If you live close to a Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays range you maybe able to pick up a used Mec 600 Junior or a Mec Sizemaster pretty cheap for crimping your shells.

Hal Abbott goes by hawglips on the Tungsten Super Shots Forum if you want to contact him for buying TSS shot. Gobbler Nation Forum also has lots of information about reloading TSS shot.

For reloading 1-1/2 oz loads just the HW13 BB shot will cost right at $2.43 per shell, 1-1/2 oz of TSS shot will be about $4.21 per shell. The TSS loads do work much better on coyotes but the HW13 BB loads do work good. I like the HW13 BB load better than the Hevi-Shot T shot Dead Coyote loads because they have 20 more pellets per shell. You can reload the 3" 1-1/2 oz HW13 BB loads for half as much as the Hevi-Shot DC T shot loads cost.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...2894&page=1
Check out the above link about reloading shotgun shells with high pressures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 70sdiverAre you using Hal’s data for 2 3/4” 1 5/8 ounce load on that test.

Yes.

Originally Posted By: sureshotshane

DAA - Is this Hal fellow used to getting random emails from folks looking to purchase shot?

He better be. I've given it to I don't know how many guys asking where to get TSS. Note - I don't even know the guy, aside from having bought some TSS from him.

Pay attention to everything Bob is willing to say on this subject. I'd have never gotten my first coyote shotshell loaded without his help.

And as far as expense... At $45 lb, I'm priced right out of the TSS game. That's almost 50% more than it cost when I was getting into it and that increase happened all at once. I haven't bought any at the new higher price and won't.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAAnd as far as expense... At $45 lb, I'm priced right out of the TSS game. That's almost 50% more than it cost when I was getting into it and that increase happened all at once. I haven't bought any at the new higher price and won't.

- DAA

same here. just not going to do it.

but man, after you use tss for coyotes.

honestly, it is best not to ever use tss. then you have no idea what you are really missing.

I’m gonna give it a go.It’s expensive but when I sell my coyotes I”ll recoup my investment.Just got to get a choke ordered for my shotgun so I can pattern test it.

Originally Posted By: 70sdiverI’m gonna give it a go.It’s expensive but when I sell my coyotes I”ll recoup my investment.Just got to get a choke ordered for my shotgun so I can pattern test it.

TSS shot does not require a tight choke. With TSS #3 and #4 shot a Modified choke maybe all you need. With perfectly round, hard pellets that are very heavy for their size the pellets do not spread out much.

With 90 or more TSS pellets per shell I would rather have a 20" to 24" wide pattern instead of a 12" to 15" wide pattern.

Originally Posted By: 70sdiverAre you buffering those loads?

I never have used buffer in any of my denser than lead Tungsten alloy loads or my TSS loads. These shot types are very hard and do not deform during set back when the shell is fired.

They also don't deform when they hit wood or bone.

Back