preferred bipod or shooting stick setup and why

I beleave less is best. I carry Stoney Point sticks. They are light weight. I have no issues out to 300 yards. Proper body position gives an almost rock steady support. JMO.

I currently run a Night Stalker that I got from Tom Austin at Night Goggles. I LOVE IT!! I used to run a set of standing/sitting bipod sticks that I got prom Pole Cat, now Primos. Those were nice because they were light and easy to use, but they are not nearly as stable as the Night Stalker.

I use a Bog Pod tripod for my set ups. I found that if I thought there was a good chance of needing to move the "pod" around I only used two legs. Worked pretty good for me.

Some of ya all may want to give this a try. It takes just a bit of practice.....

Just sayin.

Killed a coyote back in Nov. from a sitting position with my tall Harris at 475 yds. in the head, in combination with my soft-sided stadium seat system--not too far off from benchrest steady. Some day may have to get one of the Swaggers--may be somewhat better than the Harris.

My brother has the old Pole Cat as well, I have the Bog Pod sticks. Only difference is the Bog Pod swivels at the top. I prefer the sticks because you can drop them if the coyote comes in super close or if they swing out the side.

I’ve used the Bog Pod SB2 camo bipod for years. Still do. You can see it in a thread I created yesterday. Best $50 bipod I’ve ever seen or used!! I just ordered and received the newer version called the Bog Pod Havoc.

I prefer sticks. As has been mentioned. I can drop the sticks if I have a fast, close shot.

Also, the sticks adjust better for uneven terrain, in the event a coyote comes from an unexpected direction.

I make them from 48" tomato plant stakes, held together by zip ties. Total cost is about $3 per set.

I've got a Bog Pod with the now sadly discontinued PSR rest attachment. As a handgun hunter primarily, it helps keep my longer range pistols steady for those long shots. Due to it being designed for handguns, it fits my AR-15 and its pistol grip quite well and keeps it more than steady enough for shots on called-in coyotes.

Our hunting is a little different for hogs. I have tried different setups and now we use tripods topped with rifle saddles. We do a lot of night stalking with heavy AR rigs. The usual setup is an AR with a 20 or 25 round mag, thermal scope, batteries and suppressors.

The best for us is to lock the rifle down in the saddle and adjust the tripod for height. We then fold up the legs and the whole rig goes over your shoulder for the stalk. That leaves one hand free for watching the hogs with a thermal scanner. Once we are close enough the tripod is eased down and the the front leg is always left longer so that it catches first and you can use it for leverage to pull the two rear legs.

Once you get behind the rifle adjust the leveling unit on the saddle so that it tracks correctly for the running shots and then it's game on. The saddles help with lateral tracking on the runners and also with mitigating recoil for faster shot recovery.

I use the Reaper with a Silk aluminum tripod and my buddy uses a ball head rig with carbon fiber tripod. These setups are rather heavy and most of our stalks are 300 yards or less.

https://thermalopticsplus.com/collections/mounts-and-tripods

https://thermalopticsplus.com/collections/really-right-stuff-tripods-ballheads-and-accessories

https://www.kopfjagerindustries.com/the-reaper

Last edited:
I use the tall Harris bipod. Tried shooting sticks but never felt as steady on them. My hunts are all sitting and if I have a very long shot I just role to prone to be super steady. Warning I've tried the knock off Harris bipods and they do not last. The metal is thinner and bends. In bipods Harris is the best I've tried. Not saying their perfect but good quality.

Verne Howe’s Shooting Sticks have worked the best for me. I’ve been using them for 15+ years and have zero complaints. Very versatile and light weight.... They have been a very sturdy rest for called Coyotes out to 300-400 yards....

I agree with AR 204. Shooting sticks are more adaptable, quickly, in the field.
Conditions always change and shooting stick are quickly adjustable. Many brands
are available, but, I make my own.

NRA Benefactor

Don't like anything attached to my rifle because they usually end up dragging through a sage bush. Shooting sticks. A couple 3/8 dowels tied together with a bootlace has served me well for many years.

I’ve been using the bog pod, but recently ordered a swagger stalker QD 42, and just messing around with it the other day while sighting in my 300BO upper, I believe I’m gonna love it. I like the fact that I can take it off once the stand is over with the push of a button to store in my pack while I’m walking. Working now, but will take some pictures tonight and post them. The problem I found with the bog pod was that it works it’s way to the front or back toward the trigger guard as I sat, I typically keep my right hand on the gun and work my remote with my left hand which allows it slide back and forth. Problem solved with the swagger. It attaches to my lower Picatinny rail and includes an adapter to virtually mount to any gun with a sling swivel or pic rail.

Heres the swagger mounted on a Noveske SBR, and my son being the model. Bipod comes off with the push of a button and stores in my Sly Dog pack.
Big thanks to Bob for help with pics
A6EA2B49-203C-4215-AFD9-2066256FD688 by Robert Eskew, on Flickr
DA9ECD50-BE23-4FFD-9440-C20E84D31C49 by Robert Eskew, on Flickr
58B620FB-E8B8-4E25-B7CB-26142CA00518 by Robert Eskew, on Flickr
9F15A3FE-3FAA-482C-8538-68A50C80AD8C by Robert Eskew, on Flickr
F1711FD1-D31A-4186-982E-F257C87BB92B by Robert Eskew, on Flickr

Last edited:
When I hunted in Indiana I use to use a Harris bipod for groundhogs all the time. But later on and especially since we moved to Arizona. The ground I hunt is so uneven and I sit back in some thick stuff. A bipod would hang me up if I had to move it any. I now use the Primos Tri-Pod shooting sticks. There can be any amount of elevation difference on each leg, and by just pulling the trigger it self adjusts. But the reason I like the tripod is if I have something come in to the side I just move off the rest. And it keeps standing without falling over, or me having to lay it down. It also is stable enough to leave the front of my gun on, while the stock is still in my shoulder or my lap.

All of my rifles have a Harris Bipod.

I also carry a set of Predator Sniper Sticks on every day stand.

In can either lay prone or a sitting position. Kinda depends on the area I am hunting.

I only hint coyotes at night as of a few years ago. I use a heavy duty carbon fiber tripod and Reaper grip. Hinting under the cover of darkness lends me the ability to stand and search 360 degrees with the thermal. I take the thermal off the gun while calling and leave the gun mounted to the tripod. Takes 2 seconds to put the thermal back on

Back