Finally, it only took 50 yrs

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I had my hearing damaged in the service sitting in a hole right next to a .50 cal. I totally lost my hearing. The corpsman said it would come back in a while and never logged the incident. Two years after I was out of the service I went in to see if there was anyway the VA would help me with my hearing loss. While my hearing did come back it was never the same, I couldn't hear song bird, when they went to electronic ringers on the phone the secretary would have to yell across the office and let me know my phone was ringing. Just a long list of things I couldn't hear or understand. I was told that there was no record of the hearing damage.

Every ten years I'd go back in and try again, 2018 the VA finally relented and authorized hearing aids for me. Today they got fitted and turned on. Whoa They have background music at Walmart, stiff plastic bags are irritating and my wife hasn't had to repeat herself three time for me to understand her, this is going to be a real nice thing not having her mad because I don't listen, now she'll be mad because I'm ignoring her.

What a game changer, I might go to a movie or concert now that I can understand what they are saying or singing.

I'm amazed at what I missed and should have done it earlier, but technology didn't get far enough to help me until the last few years and I didn't want to put out the thousands of dollars to find out all they could do was make what I couldn't understand louder now nothing is louder but sounds I couldn't hear are now there.

If your a vet and have been turned down for a service related injury keep on them.

Cool deal, I'm glad you got fixed. And just think, now you can hear those coyotes that try to blast between us to get to the decoy!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DesertRamCool deal, I'm glad you got fixed. And just think, now you can hear those coyotes that try to blast between us to get to the decoy!
smile.gif

thumbup1.gif

Great news; glad you finally got some relief.

All VA clinics not alike. I had different experience w/mine. My assigned Dr. suggested I should get checked and VA supplied the hearing aids. Only documentation I had to supply was my MOS (112.70 - Heavy Weapons Inf.). The Dr. even insisted and started the process for a low % disability.

Still can't hear the small birds over the tinnitus, but sure a lot better than it was.

Regards,
hm

Back