2020 Pulsar Products

vetman1

Does anyone have the specs on the new sensor that Pulsar is using in their new Pulsar Trail 2 and Helion 2 models?

I am wondering how the new Trail 2 XP50 image will compare to the Thermion XP50. I have not seen any mention of the new sensor being used in the Thermion line.

It does appear that Pulsar used a magnesium body on the new trail which should eliminate the POI shifts.

As much BS is out there about the point of impact shift not being the polymer body I think it's just that BS. It's obviousl since they went to a different design an now different materials.

Last edited:
My understanding is that all the Trail line has been dropped except the XP50LRF. I think the Helions have also dropped some models as has the Thermion. Some of those will have the new core as well.

Google up Pulsars Shot Show. They have a review of the new Trail 2 xp50. The thing looks huge. I would post the link but I am digitaly challenged

2020 Shot Show Pulsar review with people from Pulsar about 2020 equipment
thumbup1.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAiRAnfH2tE&t=1828s

Glad I dumped my Trail XP38. Guess I'm in the minority. I'm looking for another NV scope based on image intensifier technology-good old time tested NV.

I got a chance to look through the Trail 2 today at Shot Show. The Image was incredible but everything looks good in a climate controlled building. It is kind of large. Kind of reminds me of a cross between the Apex and Trail.

I’m already starting to see guys dumping FLIR, Armasight, and the last generation Pulsar stuff. Most have not yet realized that the dealers are reducing prices too, so in many cases, their price is only $400-$500 less than new. This is going to be interesting.

After all the Pulsar BS I've lived through if this new Trail has the LRF option and no poi shift I'm gonna have a full blown man tantrum!

Non transferable warranties makes it almost impossible to sell these thermal units for enough to justify an upgrade every couple years. I have 2.5 years left on my trail xp50 warranty so no way I could or would part with it. I did have to move it .75 left after this last firmware update but it that's was the first adjustment necessary since I first zeroed it around Nov. 1st. Its was as cold as it has been and a stiff left to right wind so I will check it again when its calm out and in the 30's.
....and yes the trail 2 looks obscenely large.

Last edited:
Korey,

Do you know if the Thermions will be getting the new 40 mK NETD sensor now or in the future?

Also, was the screen in the Trail 2 as large and as crisp as the screen in the current Thermion XP50?

Msrp 4299 and 5900$. Shot show prices are bout 1000$ less. Actual street price will likely be few hundred less than msrp. These are the prices i was told by someone i consider reliable but i do not know these prices to be fact. Basically a thermion in a trail package with built in lrf.

Last edited:
My options up here in Canada are extremely limited. I was thinking about getting the Pulsar Forward F455 and using the Pulsar Helion XP50 2.5-20X50 Thermal Imaging Monocular to scan. I didn't know they were coming out with new products this year.

Any comments or other suggestions about running that pairing? Should I wait for these new releases before pulling the trigger?

Originally Posted By: vetman1Korey, Do you know if the Thermions will be getting the new 40 mK NETD sensor now or in the future? I asked Pulsar, and they said yes.

Originally Posted By: vetman1Also, was the screen in the Trail 2 as large and as crisp as the screen in the current Thermion XP50? Yes, Pulsar said the Trail 2 will have the new displays like theThermion.

Many People complained when the XQ series was replaced by the XM series. Pulsar must’ve taken notice as there will be XQ options in both the Thermion and the Trail 2 going forward. It will have an updated core and display and be 17 micron 384res again.

Pricing and timelines unknown.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Non transferable warranties makes it almost impossible to sell these thermal units

I have sent two thermals into Sellmark when my name was not on the sales invoice and had no problem getting the units repaired under warranty.

Last edited:

Pulsar has been impressing me less and less lately. Things were better (in my opinion) when they had the Apex XQ line and the HD19a monocular. Their trend has been more magnification meaning less field of view, less eye relief, and now larger.

Back