What would you do #3?

BrianID

You have been calling for about 4 minutes and notice a coyote coming in about 300-350 yards out. It is coming across the hillside on the red arrow and will soon drop into the bottom where you won't be able to see it until it hopefully moves to where the yellow star is at about 150 yards. There is no significant wind. The purple arrow is the direction you walked into the stand and there is a chance the coyote could hit your scent trail. It is also possible that the coyote has spotted your goofball dog that can't hold still. The blue circle is where your caller is placed 25 yards in front of you. The coyote stops a couple different times when it is around 300 yards out and looks your direction. What would you do?
#1 - Take the long shot?
#2 - Wait for it to get closer and hope that your dog or scent trail doesn't scare it off before you get a better shot?
fullsizeoutput-3f7.jpg

I'll post the result on what I did and the coyote did in a couple days.

if you killed the coyote, i would do exactly what you did.

if you did not kill the coyote, i would of done different than you did.

how's that for an answer?
smile.gif

Im in the game to call coyotes, not snipe them. I'd keep calling. I'd rather have it come closer for a shot or hit my scent and be gone than miss and educate him.

When I make a coyote calling stand, my walking path into the stand is almost always back behind me. I don't set up looking towards my walking path or where my vehicle is parked.

The areas I call coyotes in very seldom is there a significant wind. Even a slight breeze is enough to carry your scent and you e-caller's scent off in the direction the breeze is blowing.

In your picture that country looks pretty flat. When I call coyotes in flat country I walk straight against the breeze or wind to go make my stands. By walking straight against the breeze or wind from my vehicle I leave a very narrow scent cone or trail.

So when I am calling coyotes the area that I have contaminated with my scent is the area back behind me.

If you don't pay attention to the wind direction when you leave your vehicle when you get to your stand there maybe a very big area that the coyotes will be able to pick up your scent.

When it is possible I enter the big flat areas that I am going to call in against the wind or breeze so my scent and sounds of the vehicle won't be traveling way out in front of me.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotif you killed the coyote, i would do exactly what you did.

if you did not kill the coyote, i would of done different than you did.

how's that for an answer?
smile.gif

Lol. Exactly

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobWhen I make a coyote calling stand, my walking path into the stand is almost always back behind me. I don't set up looking towards my walking path or where my vehicle is parked.

The areas I call coyotes in very seldom is there a significant wind. Even a slight breeze is enough to carry your scent and you e-caller's scent off in the direction the breeze is blowing.

In your picture that country looks pretty flat. When I call coyotes in flat country I walk straight against the breeze or wind to go make my stands. By walking straight against the breeze or wind from my vehicle I leave a very narrow scent cone or trail.

So when I am calling coyotes the area that I have contaminated with my scent is the area back behind me.

If you don't pay attention to the wind direction when you leave your vehicle when you get to your stand there maybe a very big area that the coyotes will be able to pick up your scent.

When it is possible I enter the big flat areas that I am going to call in against the wind or breeze so my scent and sounds of the vehicle won't be traveling way out in front of me.

Sounds like im doing somethings right.
Almost identical to what i do.

I would wait... take the time to get the coyote in closer. Where I hunt, for most part there are no other hunters, so I would just educate him if I were to miss the longer shot. I would probably take the shot if in an area where it is pushed by lots of hunters.

Coyotes tend to follow the path of least resistance. I would wait. It's probably going to end up either right where you expect it or very near there. I'd get set, and pick one maybe two, probable locations to take the shot.

I'd stay put, turn off the caller, and hope it gets closer. That's a tough one with the scent trail situation. In general I like to get them close.

Let it come. Chances are good it will..
Then sit TIGHT and keep the caller going for another esp if gun is canned. Too many shoot one and then do the high 5s and pick up the critter.

Why not go for a double??

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobWhen I make a coyote calling stand, my walking path into the stand is almost always back behind me. I don't set up looking towards my walking path or where my vehicle is parked.

I was set up to watch to the area left of the picture. This coyote came in the "back door." I actually feel lucky I spotted him. I just got lucky and spotted some movement when he was about 400 yards out when I was scanning over my right shoulder.

This coyote ended up getting away without me ever taking a shot. Once it dropped into the brushy bottom I never saw it again. I don't know if it was my dog or scent trail by he saw or smelled something he didn't like. In hindsight I should have taken the shot when he was 300-350 yards out but "hindsight is 20/20." In a similar situation in the future I would also wait for the coyote to come closer. The coyotes body language looked like it was going to come in and I didn't think it would get close enough to my scent trail to get spooked.

Back