New bolt action with 20” threaded barrel

Tgunz64

Anyone know who makes a bolt action with a 20” barrel that’s not a 308? Full size stock or compact is fine. Even an 18” I’d be interested in. I hunt in MN and there’s a lot of brush to walk through sometimes so would like something smaller that can have a suppressor. Thanks.

tgunz64, i have a brand new tikka, never been fired, 223 chambered.

my gunsmith will make the barrel any length you want and thread it. he does great work. think he charges $40.00 if i remember correctly.

i am looking to sell the rifle. if you're interested in buying it and have my gunsmith do his thing to it, let me know. maybe we can work it out.

Remington makes a Model 700 with a standard 20" barrel that is threaded.
Can't remember the different calibers but is on there web site.

Nice guns but $1900 for a brush gun is a bit much. For an out west mountain gun I wouldn’t hesitate spending that on it. I’m referring to the fieldcraft. The text options aren’t working right for me right now. Can’t quote either or delete and edit.

Last edited:
One of these in 6.5 Creedmoor would make for a pretty compact setup. Even with a can screwed on the end it'd still be pretty short. I've talked to a few different smiths about these Rem 783's and they all tell me the same thing, the actions are good and they come with a good barrel on them. Considering what they cost, if I was in the market for something like this, I'd have no problem taking a chance on one.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020208148

Or one of these if you wanted to spend a little more.
https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/remi...kgray-stk-blued

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Nice guns but $1900 for a brush gun is a bit much. For an out west mountain gun I wouldn’t hesitate spending that on it. I’m referring to the fieldcraft. The text options aren’t working right for me right now. Can’t quote either or delete and edit.

Whitaker's is/was selling the Fieldcraft's for $1149 in 22-250 and 243. No idea if they have any left though. Their website says out of stock, but when I called they still had some left.

Last edited:
The Tikka compact has a 20" barrel. The suggestion to have the barrel cut and crowned to any length you want is a good suggestion. Pick any gun you like and cut the barrel.

Originally Posted By: CGRThe Tikka compact has a 20" barrel. The suggestion to have the barrel cut and crowned to any length you want is a good suggestion. Pick any gun you like and cut the barrel.

Ya but then I’d have to ship the gun out pay for cutting/crowning, threading and all that. I’d rather just buy one already done.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Originally Posted By: CGRThe Tikka compact has a 20" barrel. The suggestion to have the barrel cut and crowned to any length you want is a good suggestion. Pick any gun you like and cut the barrel.

Ya but then I’d have to ship the gun out pay for cutting/crowning, threading and all that. I’d rather just buy one already done.

Isn't there anyone local to you that does it? I think my local guy is around $100. It all depends on budget and what guns you like. If there is one you like that is already threaded, great, but if not, pick anything you do like and have it done. It seems that more manufacturers are starting to offer threaded barrels. Kimber has some Montana's with threaded barrels, watch Gunbroker, lots of good deals pop up.

Originally Posted By: CGROriginally Posted By: Tgunz64Originally Posted By: CGRThe Tikka compact has a 20" barrel. The suggestion to have the barrel cut and crowned to any length you want is a good suggestion. Pick any gun you like and cut the barrel.

Isn't there anyone local to you that does it? I think my local guy is around $100. It all depends on budget and what guns you like. If there is one you like that is already threaded, great, but if not, pick anything you do like and have it done. It seems that more manufacturers are starting to offer threaded barrels. Kimber has some Montana's with threaded barrels, watch Gunbroker, lots of good deals pop up.

There is a gunsmith not too far away but I’ve heard about 50/50 on his work. Another one the same. I just had my 22-250 threaded and shipped it to a place 4 hours away that came highly recommended. $126 for the work. I know you can cut and thread but would like to just save the headache and get one already done.

Back