Winter-snow camo questions...

Hello All:

It has been a while since I posted on this forum so please forgive me.

I have a two part question. Now that the new year is to begin I intend to hunt each Saturday until March for coyotes and other predators. Since I live in Massachusetts that usually but not always means snow. So my two part question is as follows:

1. What is your favorite type or brand of snow camouflage?

2. What is your favorite type or brand of winter camouflage( when there is no snow on the ground or there may be patches of snow and ice here and there. )

Thank you for any replies to my topic.

I have a lightweight snow camo cover parka that I wear over my regular cold weather hunting cloths. Depending on the conditions I can go from one to the other and not have to have a whole change of clothes along. I don't bother with pants unless in wide open spaces and again just a light weight cover pants in grass or brush my legs are below a coyotes line of sight unless he is very close.

Regular winter cloths are surplus German army winter wool pants, sweater and vest with an heavier coat that I can shed if it warms or I'm exerting a lot of energy, Wicking long johns and tee shirt, cotton gets wet and stays that way.

Favorite pants for winter has been the Kings camo guides choice storm fleece(snow shadow). These with lightweight poly long johns and a foam cushion I can sit 45+ minutes in snow when near zero. And stay dry. No long johns when 15-30 degrees. I like a white hoodie over a light jacket and light wool long sleeve shirt on top. For short walks,long sits in cold (under 10 degrees) I add a light primaloft vest.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootFavorite pants for winter has been the Kings camo guides choice storm fleece(snow shadow). These with lightweight poly long johns and a foam cushion I can sit 45+ minutes in snow when near zero. And stay dry. No long johns when 15-30 degrees. I like a white hoodie over a light jacket and light wool long sleeve shirt on top. For short walks,long sits in cold (under 10 degrees) I add a light primaloft vest.

I just bought a whole set of this, it was on a good deal $150 for a set on sale at kingscamo website.

I think it would be great for a guy who drives set to set and doesn't walk a big long distance from the truck. It's well built, solid, and heavy duty gear. Walking for miles and miles it would fall short, need active wear gear for that. I prefer my old wool for all day hiking in deep snow.

I'm still searching for that perfect gear, good in wet snow sleet, walk for miles, super quiet and stealthy, doesn't get heavy and doesn't sweat out. A unicorn!

I use Cabela's ghillie jackets, and wear my normal hunting gear under. I have white gym pants as over pants when needed.

There are plenty of German, Italian and US military snow parkas out there that would work well as they are designed to go over regular winter wear.

Gamehide makes a snow over parka that has a lot of pattern it as does Natgear for hunting in winter brush, I have both in the truck the natgear is polar fleece and the gamehide is a lightweight poly cotton blend.

Last edited:
Please don’t repeat this..... you find some one in the meat packing industry and have them buy you a snap white work coat they wear in the plant. They are very thin cloth material , a lot of the inspectors wear them other depts do also. It needs to be the snap kind not the button type.
Snap just fit better for me.
I were a 2xl in regular shirt and clothes and I have my Freind buy me a 4xl size. So much better than these military parkas and ponchos because they have sleeves. These coats go down to your knees. Kind of like a very thin overcoat. Fits over any amount of winter clothing I wear going 2 sizes to big. I have found nothing beats these.
I used them in ND when I lived and hunted there. $28.00 for the 4xl size . They last me 3 years on average and I hunt hard. After first year my hunting partners used them most of the time. I would put just a little brown or black magic marker on them but not very much. I have not used anything better. Plus they work excellent for spring snow goose season. MD

Last edited:
I will walk(spot and stalk,tracking)1-2 miles wearing the King's camo pants, no base layers above 10 degrees. Below zero with wind chill I add a base layer. I stay dry, warm and can sit 1/2 hr+ with just a foam pad. Above 25 I wear light cotton pants with white cotton sweatpants. I often walk 1/4- 1/3 mile out from vehicle in order to get wind correct and hiding vehicle for calling. I don't wear anything that will flap or move in the wind.

Last edited:
We learned while goose hunting that washed 100% cotton is white while some synthetic fabrics(polyester) will turn purple in the cold snow.
I have also used white camo nets effectively.

I always try to grab a few white ty-vec suites from a turbine job or any other job I can get them from. They blend in well and if you need to break it up some, crumple it up and hit it with a little krylon here and there. Get them big enough to go over cold weather gear and they keep your butt dry too.

I wear a brown camo pants and jacket with white pull overs. For the top a white hooded sweatshirt and bottoms are white pants of some sort. This way I can take the white off and just wear brown for hunting cattails or white for snowy fields.

Back