recomend a semi auto coyote shotgun

not cheap, not a entry level gun but I have killed running coyotes stone dead at 70 yds with my Rem SP10 loaded with #4 buckshot

3" buckshot shells kick a LOT!

Recoil reduction is a major factor for some of us. Beretta has the best gas operation of any shotgun that I have owned, they never jam.

Beretta also has an optional "Kick Off system" in some models that is a gas piston in the butt of the stock that also absorbs a lot of recoil. The kick off system is terrific to say the least.

A combo of Gas Operation and the Kick Off system is a marriage made in Heaven to say the least.

If you look around, you can find a complete 391 with kick off system, all chokes, in the box in the $800-$850 range. The shotgun also has flush fit sling studs. You will never sell the shotgun.

Here is one for sale with the kick off system, seller does not know what he has:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/846786345

I have had Rem 1100's and Rem 11/87's also, the Beretta 391 has a noticeable recoil reduction.

The Benelli I had kicked my brains out, about like a pump or a Browning A 5...inertia recoil operated means you get stomped, $1200 lesson that I learned the hard way.

Last edited:
Don’t over look the beretta a300 outlander, it is berettas lower price point semi auto. There are a few changes from the 391-400 line but at 1/2 the price it’s definitely worth looking at. I have one with a 24” barrel and I shoot both light target loads and 3” #4 buckshot without any issues. It definitely doesn’t compare to my a400 but for a beater shotgun that works when you need it to I’m happy with it.

Originally Posted By: GCBenelli M2... done. And you're welcome!

Good choice as is the m1 super90. I like the steady grip option.

im in the same market and there is more good options than ever before. As said before, Benelli and Beretta take the cake. That said, they're expensive so if you want to have champagne but you're on a Miller budget, id take a very close look at the Stoeger M3000. Sportsmans warehouse had them on sale for black friday for $400 after the rebate. Retay and some of the new Weatherbys shouldnt be over looked. My father shoots a Wby SA-08 in 20 ga and that is a [beeep] of a shotgun. I swing it better than my old SBEII. They dropped a new version called the ELement and its VERY similar to a monetfeltro in design and function. They also take Winchester/ Invector chokes so you can find chokes anywhere. The A300 is nice but its clunky and IMO, if you're gonna go clunky, go Stoeger. The Retays used to be about $300-$400 when they first hit the market but seem to have climbed significantly. They seem to be well made too and the one i shot felt like any of the Benelli's i've owned.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrWhat no love for the Versamax? I love mine with the 22" barrel.

I bought a Remington Versa Max Waterfowl Pro and have had nothing but problems with it.

The most expensive Remington shotgun I have ever bought and it had the worst trigger of them all. There was so much travel in the trigger it felt like a 2 stage trigger.

It has had fail to feed and fail to eject problems also.

Buy a Beretta or a Benelli.

I'm a junior-novice level shotgunner, not qualified to give advice, but nothing but love for my M2.

20170923_Coyote%20Hunt-104.jpg

20170923_Coyote%20Hunt-102.jpg

20170929_Coyote%20Hunt-102.jpg

- DAA

Bob I'm sorry you have had problems with yours. I have shot everything from trap, doves, Pheasants, ducks, geese, and of course coyotes without any problems whatsoever. Sorry to hear if your problems.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrWhat no love for the Versamax? I love mine with the 22" barrel.

It's heavy...

Back