Skunks in full rut.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
There is always skunks on our farm, though not as plentiful as possums. Possums have taken over this year. I have never seen the beat of the numbers of them. It's like an epidemic. Both are destructive.

What do possums do that is destructive, we don’t have them, just curious

Originally Posted By: parsonOriginally Posted By: 6mm06
There is always skunks on our farm, though not as plentiful as possums. Possums have taken over this year. I have never seen the beat of the numbers of them. It's like an epidemic. Both are destructive.

What do possums do that is destructive, we don’t have them, just curious
They're rough on ground nesting birds. We get the occasional opossum but I haven't seen one in quite some time. I've shot a few over the years but they're not near as common as skunks or raccoons.

Possums are also hard on chickens unless you keep the chickens penned at night. Possums are tough little critters too. I have some trail camera video of a possum chasing a red fox away from my coyote bait site. He wouldn’t tolerate that fox at all and would chase him out of the camera view. He also bit a skunk or bite at him several times and was not afraid of him. I have had them growl at me. They have a very nasty bite too that can lead to some real complications.

Raccoons (trash pandas) are what we are overrun with. Danged little thieves are everywhere. I think they get more of my deer feed than the deer do. We

Here in NW Florida we have a lot of coons, opossums, and skunks but my least favorite are the coons who hang out near the corn feeders put out for deer and when the feeder goes off they get to work vacuuming up every kernel. As you can imagine.... Well... They often end up with lead poisoning.
wink.gif

Have a trapper friend that targets skunks. His personal best was 99-all stretched, fleshed and sold. That year, about 2010, they netted about $7.

Friend trapped 32 a year ago at his mountain cabin. It was like an infestation. Then spring of 19 they shot like 7 more.

This year there's been only 1 trapped... maybe they got thinned out!!

Back