Slow calling with the full moon?

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
Well the season was looking pretty good to start with lots of nice coyotes responding well to the calls and then just like that they shut off. Iv been sneaking in 1 or 2 stands a day after work and 3or 4 on weekends and it seems that since December started the number of dogs responding has dropped off to nothing.iv been switching up sounds and calling everything from dense bush to open pastures and nothing to show but the coyote tracks in the snow telling me they are there but don't want to come play. Someone on one of the Facebook coyote groups figured it was to do with the full moon. Do you guys ever notice a difference in moon phase or am I just in a bad luck slump.

It seems to me that sometimes the full moon does negatively affect calling success, but I think mostly coyotes have gotten educated quite a bit by the multitudes of callers out there as the season progresses. For me October -November are great, December is slowing down and January February is darn hard hunting.

Originally Posted By: beaverquackIt seems to me that sometimes the full moon does negatively affect calling success, but I think mostly coyotes have gotten educated quite a bit by the multitudes of callers out there as the season progresses. For me October -November are great, December is slowing down and January February is darn hard hunting.

I can totally understand that. In my area there is very few callers out there and a large portion of the land I have access to I know for a fact that I'm the only caller allowed on as my boss is a bit of a stickler for land use.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerWell the season was looking pretty good to start with lots of nice coyotes responding well to the calls and then just like that they shut off. Iv been sneaking in 1 or 2 stands a day after work and 3or 4 on weekends and it seems that since December started the number of dogs responding has dropped off to nothing.iv been switching up sounds and calling everything from dense bush to open pastures and nothing to show but the coyote tracks in the snow telling me they are there but don't want to come play. Someone on one of the Facebook coyote groups figured it was to do with the full moon. Do you guys ever notice a difference in moon phase or am I just in a bad luck slump.

Yeah, I think it has an effect. A game and fish biologist once told me that the moon is like their stomachs, as the moon fills up, they seem to be less interested in food. But if you can catch a day when the moon is still up when the sun rises, it can be a good time to call.

Back when I live in MN full moon was when we night hunted.

Full moon last night, bright enough to read outside by moon light. Today I went out late as they are re-stuccoing my house and I needed to stay until they showed up to unlock gates. I did two stands, killed one and missed one. I did a little scouting on the bike and had one cross the road so I tried a marginal stand to try for him, no luck but by then the wind was pushing 20mph. I would love to have days like this all the time. Now I just need to be patient, the first one I tried to thread one through the brush, that rarely works for me. Second one came in and looked right at me and I just froze, finally the caller and decoy were just too enticing and he headed on in and didn't make it.

Moon Shmoon just get out there you never know how the day will turn out.

Originally Posted By: AWSBack when I live in MN full moon was when we night hunted.

Full moon last night, bright enough to read outside by moon light. Today I went out late as they are re-stuccoing my house and I needed to stay until they showed up to unlock gates. I did two stands, killed one and missed one. I did a little scouting on the bike and had one cross the road so I tried a marginal stand to try for him, no luck but by then the wind was pushing 20mph. I would love to have days like this all the time. Now I just need to be patient, the first one I tried to thread one through the brush, that rarely works for me. Second one came in and looked right at me and I just froze, finally the caller and decoy were just too enticing and he headed on in and didn't make it.

yeah i really wish we could night hunt up here in canada but even the suggestion of the idea puts people into fits about how devastating it would be to everything from farmers cows to people.
i hear ya about just getting out there anyways. its not going to stop me from heading out but its nice to have even a half explanation as to why im not getting response when i know there is dogs there.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerOriginally Posted By: AWSBack when I live in MN full moon was when we night hunted.

yeah i really wish we could night hunt up here in canada but even the suggestion of the idea puts people into fits about how devastating it would be to everything from farmers cows to people.
i hear ya about just getting out there anyways. its not going to stop me from heading out but its nice to have even a half explanation as to why im not getting response when i know there is dogs there.

Most predator hunters I know get too deep into their own heads when they strike out. There coukd be any number of reasons why coyotes don't show up.

Maybe they didn't like your call. Maybe the volume. The wind? Weather? Maybe because it was just Tuesday...who knows.

I run my 3 strikes rule. Run 3 stands the exact same way. No luck...change ONE thing and keep rollin. You'll spot the pattern when they start showing up.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerOriginally Posted By: AWSBack when I live in MN full moon was when we night hunted.

Don't let it get too deep in your head. The might not show for a thousand reasons. Call, volume, weather, moon, day of the week, union coyotes, differing political views....don't try to pin it on one thing.

I have a 3 strikes rule. 3 stands the same way. No takers, change ONE thing and go for 3 more. Makes it easier to spot their pattern.

I never put much thought to the moon other than when bright approach more carefully so as not to be seen setting up.
Weather is the biggest natural influence to my thinking.

Hef-A

Last edited:
Back