Coyote Fly By

capitol

This one came in so fast I couldn't even aim my rifle. Wish I had a shotgun.

I thought this video was pretty cool though.

Last edited:

Yep, very cool video. Seems we always wish we had a different gun, or something. If you had a shotgun you probably would have needed a rifle. You know how it goes.

Funny, to see. We had a coyote that we called "Speedy Gonzales" on the west side of the Potholes Reservoir just south of Moses Lake WA north of the Winchester Wasteway. He would come out of the hills at dead run, make 45 degree bend right around the caller and never miss a beat and bail on out of there. There was only one spot to see down into the sage and if you set up anywhere near you wouldn't see him. We called him in three years in a row and never got a shot off. We kill plenty of coyotes within a half mile radius of the spot. After the first three years we would just call the spot to see if he was still around, never saw him after the third time.

I hunt in public land that's mostly this grassy or swampy and these kind of run bys happen often, I bark at them with my mouth and they usually stop, sometimes they even stop where I can get a shot. I'm bummed though because a couple weeks ago I had a big, darkest coyote I've seen, go past my deer stand in Wisconsin, when I barked he took off... maybe barking is a little strange to them when it's coming from the tree tops.

Last winter I went out on a dark night, no moon, low thick cloud layer bounces city lights pretty well. I put my brand new fox pro in a low spot in a small 40 yard x 40 yard clearing and sat down.

A few minutes later I hear a coyote coming in hot through the grass. It entered the clearing 10 feet in front of me airborne by what looked like jumping over the last few feet of grass. That coyote knew where the sound was coming from and got there in a flash, when it was maybe 5 feet from the call i can only imagine it saw the bright glowing green light and jumped 6 feet in the air and around 11 feet straight back out of the clearing. I wasnt sure what happened, in the dark the whole thing happened in a flash and I wasnt sure a coyote would be flying around as much as this one was but the tracks showed that my eyes werent fooling me.

I would like to own a very well built over and under with a 22 or 24 cal rifle over 12 gauge. Those situations have happened all to often to me.
Maybe a Swift over 12 3"?

Hef-A

When shooting a combo gun, the need for shooting 3" heavy loads goes out the window, you don't need the reach as your do with just a shotgun. I find 1 1/4oz of NP BB's to be just perfect any farter you just use the rifle barrel.

They are out there and fairly reasonable. The first one is a BRNO 22 Savage Highpower over 2 3/4" 12ga. 22 Highpower is also known as the 5.6x52R in Europe and is quite popular, S&B imports 70gr ammo very reasonable and Buffalo Arms has .228 bullets in 45, 55, 60 and 70grs, the 55gr bullets are very accurate in my rifle running sub-MOA to 300 yards even with my 1.5-4.5x20mm scope. The hard part is finding a scope mount but you could have a Weave base screwed on with no proble or just use the open sights.

UmGSI4.jpg

This was in near new condition and I paid $1000 for it, double the price of the BRNO, It is a Bernardelli in 5.6x50R Mag.(pretty much a slightly lengthened 222 Rem Mag with a rime) and it shoots .224 bullets. There is no loaded ammo available for it(wish S&B would import theirs) but brass is available from Huntingtons. It has an 11mm rib and readily available rings are out there from Leupold and most airgun rings will fit.

KEncNP.jpg

There are a number of combo guns available from Tikka, Valmet, BRNO, CZ, Biakal and a few others. 222 Rem/12ga(2 2/34") and 22 Sav Highpowers common in more affordable ones$500-$1000. Getting into larger cartridges 6.5x57, 7x57 can boost the price another one or two grand.

Most Savage 24's are fine if you want to shoot open sight but are slow as you need to cock the hammer for each shot and the barrel selector is on the hammer and must be select before you can shoot that barrel.

Rechambering these are a crapshoot also as it can seriously change barrel regulation.

Last edited:
Great looking guns. Are there any you are aware of that shoot common calibers more native to the US that I can find ammo in case lots for?

Hef-A

Biakals came in 223/12ga

Valmets, CZ, Tikka in 222 Rem/12ga

New ones are pushing five figures and can be had in any combination of calibers.

Last edited:
Back