Tournaments

Most are advertised locally only. Sometimes only by word of mouth.
I just heard about one in Beatty in Jan. I can get more info if interested.

Yeah more information would be great. I’m not interested in making money, it’s just fun to travel somewhere new with a partner and meet new folks. I figured there would be a section in this forum for it.

Originally Posted By: JayYeah more information would be great. I’m not interested in making money, it’s just fun to travel somewhere new with a partner and meet new folks. I figured there would be a section in this forum for it.

Sadly there has been a push on by the Anti's lately in trying to get these kind of contests banned or in getting protesters to interrupt them. So you are correct, many of them have gone "underground" and are by invite only.

I know the succeeded in finding a sympathetic AZGFD Commissioner who actually supported their point of view and the Board banned them in AZ. The ink wasn't even dry when the Anti's moved onto trying to get another form of hunting banned, and the Commission ITSELF began to promote a hunting contest. So much for their supposed reason for banning them...

I guess what they don’t understand is, competition or not Yotes are going to be killed. Whether it’s from a 3ohAte Long Bow, Traffic or 22-250 they gonna die. I probably kill more when I don’t have any tournaments as I don’t worry about pressure or saving the easy ones. About the only reason I buy deer tags for the rifle portion is so I can legally hunt coyotes. But I think what killed tournaments in my small world of NW Missouri was cheating. I’ve seen everything from the empty grain bin, to a 6 man team. What happened to just having a good time? Whether you harvest 10 or get skunked you should be having fun. I guess I’ll be driving to Oklahoma for a benefit tournament. I expect to spend $500 and not kill a thing.

During the late 80’S and early 90’s some of the first contests in the west were a riot. Winning meant meant short term bragging rights and the opportunity to buy the first round for everyone.
Bigger money and bigger sponsors got involved and it went downhill very fast. With the cheating came a lack of etiquette that spread to everyday shooters. It has closed a lot of ground off to everyone.

Hef-A

Originally Posted By: UncleHef-A.During the late 80’S and early 90’s some of the first contests in the west were a riot. Winning meant meant short term bragging rights and the opportunity to buy the first round for everyone.
Bigger money and bigger sponsors got involved and it went downhill very fast. With the cheating came a lack of etiquette that spread to everyday shooters. It has closed a lot of ground off to everyone.

Hef-A

I ran into that when I moved an hour west of my hometown. Back home I had and still have permission for more ground to hunt than I’ll ever need. I started looking around the area I live now to find something that could be a little after work spot and save myself some driving. I was told by a landowner I was welcome to hunt his property. I told a friend of my wife’s family about how it going to be nice to have something closer. He proceeded to tell me that his son and hunting partner have permission there and the landowner shouldn’t be giving permission to anyone else to hunt out there. And that I could count on anything in the area being off limits because they hunt it all. Of course they hunt tournaments and are part of the “in” crowd. Super nice folks....until you threaten to disrupt the tournament spots. It’s sad to see people getting some [beeep] defensive over ground and tournament info. Albeit poor weather a local tournament was won with 3 dogs last year. I tell people all the time they may kill more dogs, but they’ll never have as much fun as I do.

The last two I attended many moons back, one in WY and one in MT were pretty much pre determined. Bait piles were put out ahead of time for heavily sponsored teams. I was still shooting control heavily at that time and knew a lot of local ranch folks in those areas and I trusted them for the info. Then again I may have been told wrong. But those never been there before guys did win.
I have shot over for 40 years from Havre to Eagle Pass. Ranchers were happy to see my kind come, and any nearby spreads were welcoming once they found out you knew how to close gates and didn't shoot near the livestock. Helping for a few hours here and there gathering stock or helping feed in real cold weather I took for granted And I never left town for a ranch without contacting them to see if I could bring anything out with me. It never hurt that when I sold those dogs, usually in the round, some of it got sent back to that rancher or manager with a thank you in a Christmas card.
I guess everything moves on and not always the direction we like.

Hef-A

Originally Posted By: BailFacebook is a good place to look also.

What groups have them? Facebooks algorithms kinda make it difficult to search for tournaments if you don’t already know the name.

Most Predator/Coyote Tournaments are just listed in the local Papers around here.Every Year around the end of the Year or last weekend of Fur Season they hold one here in Southeast Missouri down in Frohna/Altenburg Missouri.I can check and see when it's going to be held in my Area and post it for You.

What part of Missouri are You located at?

Originally Posted By: GTOHunterMost Predator/Coyote Tournaments are just listed in the local Papers around here.Every Year around the end of the Year or last weekend of Fur Season they hold one here in Southeast Missouri down in Frohna/Altenburg Missouri.I can check and see when it's going to be held in my Area and post it for You.

What part of Missouri are You located at?

I’m in the NW portion of the state.

Back