Sunglasses

Nciyotehunter

Was wondering if any of you use sunglasses on bright days with snow on the ground, and if so what color of lenses do you use? My eyes are sensitive to bright light and was wondering if it might help with glare and picking coyotes out from their surroundings easier. Thanks!

I never wore sunglasses until I moved to the SW. I wear a shade of brown in my prescription glasses.

My transitions get very dark on those types of days, so much so that I can't hardly read the remote. But definitely need something on snow glare days.

I would get some quality lenses that are interchangeable, I used to use the M Frames all the time, now the M2's came out and they are much more ergonomically fit when wearing a cap. I use red iridium lens's that are polarized, the red filters a lot of the brighter colors giving you cooler visual especially in the white balance spectrum, it would be more 6000K vs the warmer 3500K, and it keeps your eyes more accustom the actual legit conditions.

a 6000 kelven range visual spectrum has more of the 400 nanometer blue in it if im not mistaken making it easier on the eyes as stated

Last edited:
I almost always wear prescription sunglasses while coyote hunting. It gets very bright here in Colorado, snow or no snow.

I have had more than a few coyotes coming to the call, and when I shift my head slightly, the coyote locks up and stares in my direction. I believe it was the reflection/glare from my lenses.

I almost always wear a wide brimmed, Indiana Jones-style hat, just because of how bright it gets out here.

Originally Posted By: NciyotehunterI’ll admit I don’t have a lot of knowledge pertaining to sunglasses, is there a brand you prefer?

Oakley or Wiley-X.

I have a prescription pair of tinted shooting glasses, that I got from a gun shop in Lewiston, Idaho. Post 4, they are called. Not only do they help see the coyote, they are designed so that it is easy to look through your scope, without looking OVER the top of the frames. Also, the lenses pop out, if you want to replace them.

For those that wear prescription glasses, I recommend you accomplish several tasks at one sitting. What I did several years ago (I'm nearsighted) was to bring my 1911 into my Optometrist and he found a prescription for me, whereas I could clearly see my sights at arms length, as sharp as I could when I was 20 YOA! I could also see out to 250+ yards very well, whereas I could now read mid-sized signs as well as my 20-20 vision spouse.

I ordered Wiley-X frames, the SG-1 model, https://wileyx.com/tactical/sg-1-goggles-71. They are both shooting glasses and everyday prescription glasses, if you want - I don't, as I use them strictly for shooting/hunting/fishing activities.

They cost a ton of money, at least for me and my finances, as I got the "kit" back then, which included an additional pair of prescription smoke grey lenses, the 2-lens case, strap and cleaning cloth w/anti-fog wipe but I have found them to be the best improvement to my handgun shooting since the invention of sliced bread. The lenses change out in a matter of 1 minute, as you need to wipe your fingerprints off and that takes 30 seconds.

I rarely use the strap, just the bows, which are flexible and comfortable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoeyJFor those that wear prescription glasses, I recommend you accomplish several tasks at one sitting. What I did several years ago (I'm nearsighted) was to bring my 1911 into my Optometrist and he found a prescription for me,

And for even more fun, don't tell the Dr. ahead of time what you are doing with your pistol!
smile.gif

^^^^Shouldn't be a problem in Montana but in Dakota we usually call first to let the Dr know - probably wouldn't fly in Cali, NY or Boston.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JoeyJFor those that wear prescription glasses, I recommend you accomplish several tasks at one sitting. What I did several years ago (I'm nearsighted) was to bring my 1911 into my Optometrist and he found a prescription for me, whereas I could clearly see my sights at arms length, as sharp as I could when I was 20 YOA! I could also see out to 250+ yards very well, whereas I could now read mid-sized signs as well as my 20-20 vision spouse.

Pistol was a bit easier for me, all it took was a pair of reading glasses; iron sights on the rifle was a bit more difficult.

I called ahead and arranged to take my 14# target rifle to my optometrist's office, put a target on his wall and he provided 3 different power lenses, which he ground down from 2" blanks to 5/8" OD to fit in my rear sight which I used in conjunction w/my regular Rx glasses for XTC competition @ 200, 300 and 600 yds.

But that was over 35 years ago; its a bit more difficult today.

Regards,
hm

I wore sunglasses, holes cut in a face mask or a face mask with holes in it. Big caps can alert a lot of coyotes as they pick up the slightest movement for a guy using hand calls or when the call is put close to the shooter. There are camo caps that have a drape of camo net in front to cover up the glare of sunglasses and regular glasses....

They for sure see the white on your face and hands.

Most of the coyotes we shoot are yearlings, so this kind of extreme measures has to be taken with a grain of salt. Hunting older coyotes and dominate coyotes with a howler my require an all out method as they come in looking for a fight.

Originally Posted By: JoeyJ^^^^Shouldn't be a problem in Montana but in Dakota we usually call first to let the Dr know - probably wouldn't fly in Cali, NY or Boston.
smile.gif

DEFINITLEY wouldn't fly in a place like that! LOL

Last edited:
I have a horrible correction, have no choice but to wear prescription sunglasses. After I went to bi-focals, I typically wear just my standard glasses & a hat with a decent brim. One of my shooting buddies wears his yellow tinted shooting glasses for [beeep] near everything. He claims it makes everything crisper.

Back