TTSX or Sierra Game Changer

Better meaning killing power I guess. I hear a lot of good things about the Barnes and I like Sierra bullets but the Game Changer is kinda the new kid on the block. I've not killed anything with either of these bullets. Just curious if any of the mass's had opinions.

well the tsx line of bullets are well renowned for awesome penetration and amazing ability to stay together. the game changers look to be another cup and core style bullet thats just made to be really accurate. if you hunt elk or moose or any of the larger game i would use the ttsx for the penetration. if deer are the only game on the menu then find out which one is cheaper and readily available and use it as both will drop a deer just fine.

Actually they are both about the same price +/- a dollar or two. Both are hard to find locally. Seems no one in the Tulsa area shoots many Barnes bullets in the larger calibers and the Game Changers are just starting to hit the stores. Deer is the only thing they will be used on. I have some of each loaded so I'll shoot them both and chrony them as well. Guess I'll decide then. Probably won't matter much as deer aren't that tough to kill and either should work just fine. Kinda leaning towards the Barnes mainly due to their reputation of being a tough bullet.

Last edited:
I have been a Barnes user since 1992, in fact, they are all I use for big game, and also in my 22 Hornet for coyotes.

They seem to 'upgrade' the cartridge being used, when they hit game. For example, a 243 works more like a 25-06, a 270 like a 300Win, the Hornet like a 223.

Way back in January/February of 1992, I was reading an article about reloading the 223. The author was the first guy in the U.S. to get hold of a .22cal X bullet, as the first years production of them went to Australia.

What caught my attention about the X, was when the author shot several x bullets into ballistic gel blocks, and the blocks expanded so violently that they knocked the adjacent block off the table. He shot the X out of a Contender, at about 2,600fps MV, about what my Hornet did (pre-Lilgun). No other bullet, at normal 223 speeds, could do that.

So, I bought a box of 45gr X bullets for the Hornet, and noticed a reduction in the runners and floppers I had (coyotes), compared to any other bullet I tried.

To this day, I use the 45gr XLC's in my Hornet for coyotes. When I run out of those, I'll use the 45gr TSX.

I'm not a huge big game shooter, but the Barnes bullets have never let me down in any way. Next weekend it will be time to try the 110 TTSX in the 30 RAR on deer. I'm 100% sure what will happen when I squeeze the trigger, and I like that feeling.

I've heard the Barnes bullets like a pretty good jump to the lands. Have you guys noticed that or do you seat them out like any other bullet?

No experience with the Game Changer, but I have used Barnes TSX in larger calibers such as 7mmSTW and .338 Win Mag. The STW has accounted for multiple Wyoming antelope and a couple of mule deer with a 140 gr. TSX. I used the .338 on a whitetail buck with a 225 gr. TSX that did considerably less damage than you would expect from a typical 30-06. (Please, no over-kill comments. I enjoy doing things different sometimes). My son used a .300 Remington Ultra Mag and a 168 gr. TSX to drop a 360 yard antelope. Performance has always been excellent, with most hitting the dirt instantly. I also used a .308 with a 130 gr. TTSX on a 200 plus pound Georgia hog, dropping it right there.

Accuracy has been excellent in my rifles, unlike many other premium big game bullets that may penetrate well, but lack in accuracy. I have only experienced one rifle that did not like the TSX, and that is an AR chambered in 6x45.

We all know that we don’t “need” premium bullets to drop deer, and conventional bullets work just fine and have for ages. For me, however; the performance is worth the cost. If I didn’t have accuracy with the Barnes, then they would lose appeal, or if the bullets we accurate but didn’t perform well, appeal would also be lost, but when you have both accuracy and performance, it makes for pleasant and rewarding shooting.

I shoot Barnes bullets and they like a jump of about 0.050. Start there and adjust closer or farther with what your rifle likes. Barnes recommends a 0.050 jump to start with,and that is what my Browning and Ruger like in 300 win mag.

I sometimes shoot the barnes in my 6mm rem 788. DO NOT SHOOT DEER IN THE SHOULDERS IF YOUR MEAT HUNTING! Unbelievable damage and meat loss. They flat out hammer!

Shot my 270 today and decided to go with the Barnes TTSX bullets. I got good accuracy and I have plenty of them on the shelf as well. Now one more range trip just to double check my zero and I'm ready for opening morning. Hopefully my black powder buck has a big brother running around chasing the girls.

I shoot Barnes bullets exclusively in my big game calibers, 7mm RUM and 375 H&H. I would shoot them in my 220 Swift if I did not already have a kick a_ _ go to load.

I load mine at .050 off the lands and get great accuracy. They are a great bullet and absolutely hammer the big game.

So far, in 13-14 different rifles, ranging from .223 to 300 Weatherby, we have not had to change starting COL to get very good accuracy.

I start with published COL, and load up varying power charges. We have always found good accuracy, typically sub-MOA.

Once, with a Hart custom in 300Win, did my buddy play with seating depth, just because this rifle shot so well to start with, he though he could improve on it.

Using a 180 Barnes TTSX, he shot a 4-shot group at 200 yards, that measured 5/8" with the Hart. I stopped him from shooting the 5th shot, as I didn't want him to blow out a great group.

The original X bullets were very temperamental, as to seating depth, powder charge, etc., as were the XLC (blue coated).

The TSX and TTSX have been very easy to find accuracy with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.I have been a Barnes user since 1992, in fact, they are all I use for big game, and also in my 22 Hornet for coyotes.

They seem to 'upgrade' the cartridge being used, when they hit game. For example, a 243 works more like a 25-06, a 270 like a 300Win, the Hornet like a 223.

Way back in January/February of 1992, I was reading an article about reloading the 223. The author was the first guy in the U.S. to get hold of a .22cal X bullet, as the first years production of them went to Australia.

What caught my attention about the X, was when the author shot several x bullets into ballistic gel blocks, and the blocks expanded so violently that they knocked the adjacent block off the table. He shot the X out of a Contender, at about 2,600fps MV, about what my Hornet did (pre-Lilgun). No other bullet, at normal 223 speeds, could do that.

So, I bought a box of 45gr X bullets for the Hornet, and noticed a reduction in the runners and floppers I had (coyotes), compared to any other bullet I tried.

To this day, I use the 45gr XLC's in my Hornet for coyotes. When I run out of those, I'll use the 45gr TSX.

I would concur 100% that they perform like a heavier bullet than they actually are, in fact, Barnes will tell you they perform like a bullet 30% heavier. I would agree with what they say.
A friend of mine and I hunted Africa about 5 years ago now and he had a problem with his scope rings so he used my 7mm RUM loaded with 140 gr Barnes TSX bullets. We shot 13 animals with my rifle, all plains game from Kudu to Sable to Hartebeest and I can tell you that not one animal took a step from where they were shot. We only recovered one bullet and that was from my Blue Wildebeest. I shot him directly through both front shoulders and the bullet hung up just inside and opposite side under the hair. Everything else was a complete pass through with devastating internal damage.
My experience with Barnes bullets has been outstanding and I have enough of them on my reloading bench to last my lifetime.

In my 243, I ran the game changers last year. My brother shot a deer with it at about 75 yds. Hit her right behind the shoulder and she ran about 20 yards and piled up. The bullet did not exit but it caused severe damage inside. When we skinned her, we found the bullet under he hide on the offside. The jacket was peeled back like it is supposed to, but it dumped all the lead core out into her vitals. I have to think if it retained the weight of the core it would have pushed out the other side. I used them on two coyotes out in the cattle pasture and it left devastating holes like expected.

I decided to go with the TTSX mainly because of reviews here and from fellow gun club members. Seems everyone says the same thing about how they dump animals usually where they stand. Also because using a load a friend told me about shoots so well in my Remington 700. Bone stock with a Leupold will put three touching at 100 yards after the barrel is fouled. A clean barrel usually has two touching and one just a little out of the group but not enough that you would miss what your shooting at.

Sierra makes good accurate bullets which I use for target shooting. Their hunting line of bullets are standard cup & core design which I'm not impressed with. I'll take a Branes any day over a Game Changer bullet

Back