Dusk or Dawn

Most of the coyotes I see while traveling are near first light, but I do see them in fields all day, just not as often.

Hunting, I don't hunt until I can see the ground to walk in silently and see a coyote coming. As far as when is the best time to hunt I have no preferences. During duck season I'll hunt ducks in the morning and coyotes in the early afternoon. I rarely hunt evenings as I like to get fur put up and birds cleaned in day light as it is much easier than trying to do it with a coleman lantern.

Things might change as this will be the first season in 30 yrs that I will hunt from home and haven't had a fur shed for 10 yrs(I put up everything in camp)

If I had to choose one time to make a stand it would be 30 minutes before sunrise.

Although I feel like I've called in more coyotes around 10am I would still rather be on stand before sunrise.

It seems I always have the best luck between 8:00 and 10:30 am. I go more in the evenings due to work and family but still have better luck in the mornings. I've always thought maybe they were on their way to bed down and wanted an easy snack.

Back