Leupold LTO-tracker 2 for scanner

hey guys, I know the previous model has been discussed for use as a scanner for night calling. I know that many people said it doesn't suit the purpose very well.

Has anyone tried the version 2? I don't need to be able to identify the animal, I just want to pick up the heat signature of a coyote out to 200 yards max. I then will use night vision identify.

I am currently using a night vision scope to scan as well and that's very cumbersome. All input is appreciated, thank you!

I have a LTO that I used as a scanner for season. It will detect heat out 200 yards for sure of a coyote size but I had to tape a cardboard roll off a paper towel roll for eye relief and to not illuminate my face at night. It’s definitely not for long range identification for sure and has a really grainy picture especially after using higher quality thermal imaging. Sounds like it would work for your purpose. If you lived closer I would probably sell you mine as I needed longer range and have since upgraded.

Nice, What did you upgrade to? and also do you have the original or the mark 2 version?

I am just considering it as cabelas has them marked down to 399$ and 10% off. I would just like to kknow that something is approaching and to look through my scope to see what. That makes sense that it would show a lot of light on your face, that's something that I hadn't considered.

When considering the use of any thermal as a scanner, the hunter needs to keep in mind this will be what is used for 98% or more of a stand. I use mine to find my calling location, scan during the stand, retrieve harvested coyotes, and then help find my way back to the truck.

Bottom line is it is being held and looked through the majority of the time before, during and after a stand. The form factor, how comfortable the eye piece, and how I hold it, are huge considerations. You can't shoot, what you can't see. I have stayed away from the LTOs as they historically haven't been able to see far enough and didn't have a great eyepiece. The LTO2 may have a few improvements but still not ideal for a coyote scanner. May be a nice option to stick in a pocket to help find a downed deer, etc. It probably isn't fair to compare a $360 thermal and $2-$10K thermals, but I will not be using one.

Kirsch is correct, LTO is not a great choice for a coyote scanner especially up in our part of the country long range identification is important not just detection. You asked if it will detect life out 200 yards and the answer is yes it will detect life out 200 yards. Positive Identification out at 200 yards is a NO. You stated you would use your scope for that. Now is there more expensive equipment out there that will do a better job and make your confidence go up to feeling professional level, ABSOLUTELY. Is there a scenario where the LTO will work along with little tricks to still get the same job done and have fun with lower investment, yes. Keep in mind the LTO is barely entry level at best thermal device and that with time it will leave you only wanting more out of a scanner but if your budget is 500 right now you can make it work. Visit stand during the day, range easy identifiable objects to reference things by at night (trees, rocks, creek crossing, etc....) study your area during the day to know it like the back of your hand so at night you’re not guessing so much as to what that might be. It’s more work but will pay off in the end. As far as upgrade, I upgraded scope from the older Apex 38 from pulsar to the XP 50, used Apex as a scanner for a season (CR123 batteries only last 30 minutes at -20 at best, and are expensive to swap out that often), then switched to the Helion XP 38 now. Coyote hunting can be cheap as you want or expensive as you want and still be successful. For the love of the sport and to keep it alive, if you give me your address I will mail the LTO to you for free under one condition, after you upgrade you pass it along to the next coyote hunter as the LTO will more than likely push you into wanting to upgrade later.

Windwalker, that is a very generous offer you made to predstorhunter. You, sir depict the decency still left in some people. Over the years I have seen PM members help each other in similar ways, and have had people help me too. I always try to give back in ways that I can. There are some fine people here. You are one of them. God bless you.

Yes that's is very generous. It's great to see someone willing to pass on gear that they have upgraded from. That's what keeps this sport alive.

Thank you, I sent you a PM.

Have to give a shout out to Windwalker, and thank him for shipping me that LTO. Not many good people left in the world willing to pass on gear just to keep the sport alive.

The LTO has resulted in 2 kills in less than a week. It definitely has its limitations, but as far as letting me know something is approaching my set up its been great. I have easily been able to pick up the heat of coyotes out to 150 yards so far. Identifying the animal is near impossible about beyond 40-50 yards, but for just using to see if anything is approaching its worked really well.

Thanks again Windwalker, your generosity has been greatly appreciated!

So, do you think for the money of the LTO that works well enough? I am in a similar situation right now. Where I hunt the sagebrush is pretty thick. And I really just need something to alert me of an animal then I can get the rifle on target. I have been look at the newer model 2 HD. With the Mil discount from Leopold they seem very affordable. But, if they won't really work past 50 yards I think using nv would be better. I have only ever used military grade thermal and NV in the past and it's hard to compare the two.

Originally Posted By: rockin90So, do you think for the money of the LTO that works well enough? I am in a similar situation right now. Where I hunt the sagebrush is pretty thick. And I really just need something to alert me of an animal then I can get the rifle on target. I have been look at the newer model 2 HD. With the Mil discount from Leopold they seem very affordable. But, if they won't really work past 50 yards I think using nv would be better. I have only ever used military grade thermal and NV in the past and it's hard to compare the two.

The version that Windwalker sent me is the original I believe, I am pretty impressed with it so far. I have been able to pick up coyotes at close to 150 yards. I cant identify it as a coyote but I can see that an animal is in the field or woods. I have picked up deer at 200 yards and a little beyond. It definitely has its limitations as many others have stated.

Some issues I have experienced so far are that there is no calibration, the unit automatically adjust to what sensitivity it thinks is best, the screen is a bit bright and there is no adjustment for that either and although I can see visually that there is something in the view with would be very difficult to tell what it is much beyond 50 yards.

I hope this helped. I really think if you can afford something better than do that, but in my situations that isn't currently an option and this setup is a substantial upgrade to the red lights I have been using for the past 10 years.

I picked up the hd2(latest version) easily picks up deer at 400 yards, but not identify as deer. I walked out to our 185 yard target and my buddy said he could identify me and my dog. Even when I went down on my knees and had the dog sit a few feet away. I left it for him to use, so I haven't used it much.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI picked up the hd2(latest version) easily picks up deer at 400 yards, but not identify as deer. I walked out to our 185 yard target and my buddy said he could identify me and my dog. Even when I went down on my knees and had the dog sit a few feet away. I left it for him to use, so I haven't used it much.

I'm researching the Tracker 2 HD right now for the same kind of usage as the OP, and I would love to hear an update on it's performance. I'm really glad that OP got ahold of the original unit and it's working for him, but the HD models appear to have a higher resolution sensor that I would think should allow detection at further ranges than he is currently reporting.

I realize the form factor of this monocular has its downsides but if it can reliably detect coyotes at 300 yards and possibly detect them at 500 yards I would be THRILLED to buy one. It essentially seems like it's the Tracker at whatever price point you find it ($600-$1000) or you just have to step up to almost $2k for a monocular. I plan to use night vision or a predator light for positive ID, I just want night time detection capability because WI doesn't allow lights for scanning, only at the point of kill.

Back