How far do deer run after being shot with an arrow??

Once read a biologists report that said a running deer full of adrenaline has enough oxygen in its bold stream to last 20 seconds even with its heart blown out, a running deer can cover a lot of ground in 20 seconds

Depends on if the deer knows I got shot or not to. I’ve shot many with Rocky Mountain gator 100s that I’ve gone 30 to 40 yards on average in three or four big leaps and tipped over dead. I dropped some on the spot with that broadhead hitting back bones... I even dropped one on the spot without hitting any back bone. They stopped making them in a chisel tip and went to a cut on contact tip which didn’t penetrate and would bent over and brake off if it hit bone . I switch broadheads after this change...before they went out of business. I haven’t found one yet as good. They would make 4 inch entry and exit holes like somebody stabbed them with a machete. I’m going to try hypodermic rages this year. A lot of my friends shoot them and say 40 to 60 yards is not uncommon with a double lung shot. I have shot a lot of deer that I’ve gone a lot further just depends on if they knew what happened and how much trauma your Brodhead you picked out made. I hit one in the liver last year. My arrow was solid red. I watch the deer run away all the way to the base of my property and then run back up to the top of the hill making about a good 150 yard Circle. It then stood there for five minutes and then made three or four big giant leaps to the other side of my property and then disappeared out of sight. I got out to look for blood five minutes after I last saw last it to see what happened. The only place there was blood is where it stood for five minutes. I then went to where I saw it last and followed the deer trail I guessed it followed and I got lucky and found the 10 pointer about 60 yards straight in front of me. That deer made it over 250 yards and dropped dead in 15 minutes. I got very very lucky. With Liver shots deer will go far but normally even a broadside liver shot I’ve opened them up with the right broad head and have tremendous blood trails. That was with a nap Sling Blade. I got rid of them needless to say. They never expanded on the way in through the Hyde or or way out and made a bullet sized hole in the entry and exit causing the deer to bleed internally. Those gator 100s if I did it right I’d have a 3 to 6 foot wide blood trail a blind man could follow. I’m hoping the hypodermic’s do the same sounds like it the way my buddied brag them up. I tried the original rages when they first came out it didn’t know you weren’t supposed to line the blades up with the slots in the peddles. There were no directions at the time telling to do in elsewise. I posted some pictures on this forum years ago of the heart of one of two deer I shot back to back. Both deer went about 40 yards stopped and dropped one actually tripped over the other one and fell 10 yards in front of it. Stone dead and neither of the broadheads opened!

Last edited:
Back