Proper cheek weld?

Cjben

Need help getting consistent cheek weld on my Remington 870 with slug barrel, scope, and tactical stock. When I'm using a laser to bore sight it, I get a different point of aim every time I raise my head and put it back down. It's only a little bit off, but how much will it effect actual location of the bullet? Don't really want to waste a lot of slugs only to find out the gun won't shoot consistently until I have a proper cheek weld every time.

When you throw the shotgun to your shoulder you should be lined up with the scope. I use butt bags with fillers/shims under them or an adjustable comb. Pieces cut from old neoprene waders make good fillers/shims. Throw the shotgun to your shoulder with your eyes closed and then open them when the stock is right you should be looking through the scope with no adjustment. Remember that changing positions will make a differenceso your only going for the optimal position(the one you plan to use most)

Adjustable cheek piece on my 22-250.
uT9GMx.jpg

Shimmed butt bag on my 22-204, you can see the blue tape holding the shim in place, double stick tape works well.
AxVnvZ.jpg

Shimmed butt bag on my shotgun/rifle combo
UmGSI4.jpg

I have high cheek bones so almost all combs are too low for me and I have to build them up.

Cheek weld should have little to do with the relation ship between the point of aim ad point of impact that is strictly between the gun and scope. Paralax will come into play with that at long range and looks like that at short range BUT at short range the perceived change in point of impact isn't enough to cause a miss. Shoot it and see what it is REALLY doing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I will shoot it tomorrow or Monday and see where it shoots. At $12 for 5 slugs, I really don't want to waste any.

Back