New foxpro sounds

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
So I see foxpro has a new sound list up and I'm just curious if people have been using them and if so how they are liking em? I noticed a lot of new pup distress sounds which could be good.

I just got them all loaded up. Only made a few stands but Im liking Mrs Cottontail very well. Lots of good vocals on there too, but Im just getting them all figured out. Seems to be some very good sounds.

Pulled in a couple late arrivals last month with Den Mayhem. I think that's a pretty "seasonal" sound, but when it's hot I bet it's hot.

- DAA

Agree Den Mayhem is a hot one.There are some excellent sounds on the new list,Its going to take me some time to evaluate the best for my area but having new sounds will be productive Ill guarantee you that.

Do you think that new sounds will really call in more coyotes? It would really be fun to be able to have an overhead view of about a square mile of land with a thermal camera an see if coyotes actually ignore some sounds and respond to a different sound.

I've always felt that if you were in the right spot and used a sound that hasn't been used to death there you could just about call them with any decent distress sound.

I also feel that when calling a place that has been heavily called a different caller will make a difference. Why some have much better luck with hand calls in heavily called area. I just pull out my Minaska, it seems to work really well in heavily called areas where the country has been beat to death with Foxpros. For Jerry like the Desert Wildlife area south of Moses lake. I always do much better there with the Minaska than my FP using the same basic sounds.

I regularly kill a coyote in one spot, go back the next day and change stand locations slightly and sound and kill a second coyote. I think I'm going to try that using the same sound again the next day.

I will say that 99% of my stands I don't see coyotes until they are in shooting range so rarely see how they don't respond to sounds as the ones I see are already committed to my sound.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSDo you think that new sounds will really call in more coyotes?

Sometimes. I'm not a sound switcher. Often go a whole weekend with only three basic sounds. Heck, I've gone full seasons with only three sounds. I do firmly believe that some sounds work better than others over all. Definitely. The three I mostly stick to are well proven. I don't believe in a magic sound though, not at all.

But when those three aren't working, I sometimes get desperate, and try others. Sometimes, I hit on one that they are biting on that time and place.

I have also, on many occasions, been able to observe coyote reaction to sounds. Most coyotes, most of the time, they either come in to one of the basic three, or they aren't coming. But, there are exceptions. I have witnessed it often enough, where a coyote will suddenly break loose and trot in when the right tune is played, that when I know they are out there and hearing me, I sometimes throw the kitchen sink at them just for the helluvit. Low percentage play, but it's an end of stand throw away and sometimes it does work.

Den Mayhem, in particular, for me, I see it as having a specific application and I think it has best in class potential, for that application.

- DAA

Couple quick add ons…

Mentioned having seen the reaction of coyotes to sounds many times. Forgot to mention, I've seen them turn and run away some of those times! Ha-ha!

Originally Posted By: AWSIt would really be fun to be able to have an overhead view of about a square mile of land with a thermal camera an see if coyotes actually ignore some sounds and respond to a different sound.

Know a guy, got to do something kind of like that, some years ago. He used to be a fixture here on PM before he got banned, lol!

Anyway... He was able to accompany some coyote researchers on the big nuclear lab facility in Idaho. Huge chunk of ground, nobody hunts the coyotes.

So... They had coyotes with GPS collars out there. And this friend, got to go call to those coyotes, then later transpose the GPS and time stamp data. He actually did get to see how coyotes came, or didn't, to specific sounds. He stopped at my house on the way up there and then again on his way back home after the big adventure. I still have a copy of the GPS data he gave me on a hardrive somewhere.

The whole thing turned into a poop show. And with hindsight, it could have been predicted to go down that way. But it did produce some really interesting results.

The one I found most interesting, was a particular female coyote that was the classic yapper. Did not come in to the sound, but made a big semi circle a half mile out from it to get down wind, then sat there and yapped.

That's interesting enough. But it got way better! She then proceeded to "follow" these guys as they drove along stopping to call every so often in fairly typical coyote calling fashion. And kept on setting up and yapping at them from downwind on the next several stands, over a course of ten miles! That's some funny, interesting stuff, right there.

- DAA

From what I have seen switching coyote vocal sounds will trigger coyotes to run in much more often than switching rabbit, rodent or bird distress sounds will.

Vole Squeaks is a great sound to switch to at low volume if a coyote holds up at long distance.

Many times I have seen coyotes in my rifle scope way off in the distance after hearing them. While watching them through my scope I have switched to Pup Distress 3 sound and as soon as the sound got to them they started running my way.

I really like the sound of the new Den Mayhem sound and I plan on using it and many of the other new coyote vocal sounds when I start calling coyotes this year.

Many times when I have had coyotes challenge me I have got them to come in by challenging them back or by playing 3 or 4 coyote sounds to make it sound like a coyote fight is going on. Quite a few times I have seen the coyote or coyotes come my way the second or third time that I switched to a coyote sound that I had already played.

When a coyote or coyotes challenge you as soon as you start playing a distress sound that means they think a coyote is causing that distress sound. I have had pretty good results the last 3 or 4 years challenging them back and playing 3 or 4 sounds rapid fire, for 10 to 15 seconds each to make it sound like the mother of all coyote fights is going on and then challenge them back again.

Originally Posted By: AWSDo you think that new sounds will really call in more coyotes? I do.
It would really be fun to be able to have an overhead view of about a square mile of land with a thermal camera an see if coyotes actually ignore some sounds and respond to a different sound.We have been thinking about using our drone for this .

I've always felt that if you were in the right spot and used a sound that hasn't been used to death there you could just about call them with any decent distress sound.I agree with that .

I also feel that when calling a place that has been heavily called a different caller will make a difference. Why some have much better luck with hand calls in heavily called area. I just pull out my Minaska, it seems to work really well in heavily called areas where the country has been beat to death with Foxpros. For Jerry like the Desert Wildlife area south of Moses lake. I always do much better there with the Minaska than my FP using the same basic sounds.I use a different technique then most guys do, I do not rely on just my FoxPro.

I regularly kill a coyote in one spot, go back the next day and change stand locations slightly and sound and kill a second coyote. I think I'm going to try that using the same sound again the next day.Coyote vocals are great for this, You can usually call in the mate or another Family member.I have even gone back later the same day with good results.

I will say that 99% of my stands I don't see coyotes until they are in shooting range so rarely see how they don't respond to sounds as the ones I see are already committed to my sound.You know the public areas around my location.I have seen Coyotes when walking into a stand get up and run when you start with a Rabbit distress.

I will also cast my vote for Den Mayhem. That sound is gonna be good! I plan on using it extensively when the time is right. Den Heist is also a good sound.

Any updates on the new sounds out in the field? I am curious about some new sounds as well, since it appears some of my local Coyotes are call shy and a new sound might really work to bring them in.

Originally Posted By: NevadaZielmeisterAny updates on the new sounds out in the field? I am curious about some new sounds as well, since it appears some of my local Coyotes are call shy and a new sound might really work to bring them in.
Haven't played with em enough to get a good grasp on what's better or not but Mrs mccottontail and antelope jack have brought in a few as well as red fox attacked.
Den mayhem hasn't done much the little I have tried but I expect that will be a later season sound.

Originally Posted By: DAAPulled in a couple late arrivals last month with Den Mayhem. I think that's a pretty "seasonal" sound, but when it's hot I bet it's hot.

- DAA

I don't get too many hard chargers in on calls like Den Mayhem, but they will come take a look. They might hang up, being cautious, but that puts them right into my rifle range. So it works.

Now during the tail end of pup season, different story, then they come charging into those calls.

Mr. Cottonatil and Mrs. Cottontail are working well. Several coyotes with both sounds, and Mrs. Cottontail has drug in a handful of bobcats. Den Mayhem, Den Heist, Nutty Nut Pup, HP Coyote Pup, and Coyote Pup 314 have all called in coyotes.

Originally Posted By: NevadaZielmeisterAny updates on the new sounds out in the field? I am curious about some new sounds as well, since it appears some of my local Coyotes are call shy and a new sound might really work to bring them in.
Mr. Cottonatil and Mrs. Cottontail are working well. Several coyotes with both sounds, and Mrs. Cottontail has drug in a handful of bobcats. Den Mayhem, Den Heist, Nutty Nut Pup, HP Coyote Pup, and Coyote Pup 314 have all called in coyotes.

Originally Posted By: jcELKOriginally Posted By: NevadaZielmeisterAny updates on the new sounds out in the field? I am curious about some new sounds as well, since it appears some of my local Coyotes are call shy and a new sound might really work to bring them in.

Thank you Mr. Elk. I went ahead and purchased the den heist, den mayhem and Mrs. Cottontail sounds. Strangely, I did not have a Fawn Distress call, so I added that as well.

Originally Posted By: AdamTDoes anyone else’s call make an odd noise when the Mrs Cottontail sound loops??

I listened to about 6 minutes of it (not sure how long it takes to loop) and I only heard the rabbit, which is just an amazing sound. I think that is the actual sound that it makes. It can be interpreted as the sound you describe, but maybe that is the type of caller you are using?

(Copy and pasted this response to the other thread you started under the E-caller sub-forum.)

Back