case sticks in chamber

JPH sand hills

Iam using lc cases, when I fire a round or several rounds and leave a live round in the chamber from a few hours to over nite I have a problem getting the round out. The case will be rough like starting to corrode. I am using a suppressor. I have cleaned the chamber twice in one week but still sticks. any ideas .?

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51Clean your Chamber more often.
See if that cures the issue.
A Suppressor pushes alot of burnt powder back into the chamber.

And don't leave live rounds in the chamber.

Supressors do leave a mess for sure. The only thing I can offer is try bumping the shoulder a wee bit more to give a little more clearance.

Had the live round sticking recently in my Grendel.
Turns out after checking that the FC cases that
were sticking need a little more bump than
the Hornady's that don't stick.
Live and Learn!!

Originally Posted By: Droopyfur2Had the live round sticking recently in my Grendel.
Live and Learn!!

May not be the case with your brass, but the more times you reload a case, the more it work hardens and will spring back after sizing more than a case w/fewer cycles on it. Just something else to watch for.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: Droopyfur2Had the live round sticking recently in my Grendel.
Live and Learn!!

May not be the case with your brass, but the more times you reload a case, the more it work hardens and will spring back after sizing more than a case w/fewer cycles on it. Just something else to watch for.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Point taken but the FC is once fired, the Hornady 3x

The problem you are experiencing is the gas blow back that is amplified because of the suppressor retaining more gasses and directing them into your chamber. Verdigris, is what you are seeing on your brass after you leave it in the chamber, since the gasses are amplified they cause corrosion on the case, maybe it takes overnight, I've seen it in a matter of 30 minutes.

To fix this problem, you will need to clear the chamber ASAP after shooting, or get an adjustable gas block that will decrease the pressure and returned gasses caused by the can. You can also go with a piston driven system that will eliminate the problem.

I run my AR's dry, or use a dry lube, oil based lubes will mix and become very very dirty/sticky, and could even cause excessive pressure if it's not properly cleaned from the chamber. In my location the oil viscosity changes too much in the cold weather and I see additional issues, which is another reason I prefer dry lube.

I would also look into a SB sizer die, on any AR platform when the webbing expands you get sticky cases, and when you run a suppressor that's direct impingement the problems multiply because of dirty gasses. I've gotten away with a lot less problems and cleaner cycling by small base sizing my brass when using an AR platform.

I am guessing they stick everytime, no matter how long they sit in the chamber. Like others have said, bump the shoulders back a thou or so and trim to length. I would check that the projectile is not getting into the lands. Makes it hard to extract a live round.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JPH sand hills Thank u skinny good info new die coming.dry a must for the action.

Yes sir, dry is for the bolt/carrier and charge handle, I've used Bore Tech Qwik dry, goes on wet then dries dry, which is very good, from -50 to 100+ temps, keeps dirt and debris from grabbing oil and increasing unnecessary friction and wear especially when it's cold.

I've also used OTIS Dry lube which I think is similar BUT it comes in an aerosol can so you can spray instead of drop.

Both I've found to be basically a necessity in cold and arid temps when running an AR platform.

Back