4 year journey

Well 4 years ago I decided to start seriously trying to tag a arizona black bear. I wanted to do this without a guide and without dogs. I was pretty unsuccessful not gonna lie. I hadn’t seen a bear for 4 years after weeks of hiking and glassing each year.
Well this year I had the good fortune of getting on some bears in a canyon with a buddy of mine.
645 rolled around and I see this black bear out eating acorns 435 yards away. I watched it for a few minutes and after seeing it was the only one around decided to pull the trigger. I dialed in my dope and let the 308 fly. DRT. I Know it’s small. I need to get better at estimating size.
Dropped it off at fish and game for check in than off to taxidermy. I am still super thrilled even though t’s small it’s about 100lbs.

Just got my shoulder mount today

Very pleased with it.

F123-B6-ED-73-DA-46-F5-96-BD-591-F78-A314-FC.jpg

Last edited:

Pretty fur on that one and a very good photo. Despite its small size, it’s a trophy to you given all the planning, preparation and scouting you did over several years. Glad it all came together for you, and thanks for sharing.

My Spring bear had a beautiful shiny coat, the wind blowing making him appear larger than reality. Although squared at just under 6', he weighed 97 pounds, had not yet blown his butt plug. He was taken while chewing on grass post winter nap. It was a shock to see how much body mass he had lost, but the coat was stunning.. This was in May and my 50th birthday.

Congrats on sticking with it and the successful hunt.

"Trophy" is so subjective. To me, a trophy game animal is one that comes well earned, regardless of size or score. Your trophy bear IS well earned, congratulations. Few people in today's society have the tenacity to stick with something like you did. That's a beautiful hide on that bear, and I'm sure it'll be some good eating. It's been a while since my last bear sausage; I'm jealous!

The best trophies or best hunts are not always the ones where you harvest the most animals or the largest ones. This one sounds like one of the best because of the time, effort and experience. Great job.

That’s a freaking awesome bear !!! I’ve tried for about 16 years but my coyote hunting keeps getting in the way, lol.

Congrats, well done
thumbup.gif

Having success after that long has to have special meaning to you. Kudos to you for sticking with it. Beautiful bear for sure. Thanks for posting.

Back