Load data for .270 and 130 gr Speer Hot Core

NorthBorder

I just got a Stevens 200 in .270 Win and am wanting to work up loads with the Speer 130gr Hot Core. Mostly looking for a COAL. I will try what powders I have which are H4831SC and RL19. I dummy loaded one round and the COAL is 3.256". Right now my dies are set to load 140 gr Accubonds at 3.30" COAL out of my Tikka. Any helpful advise would be muchly appreciated.

Rifles are different. In my Ruger all weather boat paddle stock, I shoot the 130g speer BTSP with 60g of H4831, seated .060 off the lands. I shoot a 4" group at 300 yards with an ancient leupold 3.5x10 AO.

It would help greatly if you learn and buy the equipment to measure the distance to the lands using an ogive gauge.

This barrel loves speer bullets better than nosler, berger!

Last edited:
Not sure about the Speer, but that 140 grain Accubond that you mentioned is magic out of my rifle. 5/8" 5 shot 100 yard groups. WLR primer with 55 grains of RL19, seated .005" off the lands. I bought some 130s but saw no need to try them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760COAL is pretty useless...where is the ogive in relation to the lands?

This^^^. You really need to buy a Hornady Lock-n-Load OAL length gauge, modified case and bullet comparitor in order to get accurate measurements for your bullets Ogive so you can then seat your bullet off your lands at a specific length, say .050 as an example.

In my experience, bullet seating depth is one of the most important factors in getting the accuracy you are looking for.

Back