bits for drilling horn/antler

canislatrans54

Hey all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Just out of sheer curiousity, I'm wondering what type of drill bit you guys use to drill the mounting hole for toneboards in your horns & antlers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As some may know, I've been tinkering this summer making calls from cow horn. And finally, yesterday, I got the nerve up to work on some antler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
I had been using a variety of step drill [unibit] bits. The problem was that the one I have that goes to 5/8" only has a 3/16" shoulder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
So I have been trying different types of bits to drill deeper...
Wood auger bits--only tried that once! I don't have a drill press or a vise, & almost lost a few fingers when it dug in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Standard high-speed bits--too prone to not cleaning/grabbing, and cracking the horn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Wood "paddle" bits-- this seemed to work the best, but using a 5/8" after using the step bit, it tends to "wallow" out the hole bigger than 5/8". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yesterday I got a wild hair & decided to drill a horn and an antler base (both for howlers), using only the paddle bit...but instead of 5/8" I used 9/16".
Both drillings may have been a fluke, but I found it drilled straight (no wobble), and was totally self cleaning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
It also took less time than how I had been doing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And the holes were just perfect to friction-fit the 'boards, enough so that I could use the reed blocks that come with the KO boards, instead of using cork! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
{I did actually glue the boards in, but not the blocks.} /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Again, I'm just wondering what bits work best for you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

P.S.: Sorry, no pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
The antler howler turned out just as I wanted, with a 5"L x 1" diameter, very slightly curved body that fits the hand nicely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
The 'board end curves down, & when the call is held level in the hand, the 'board is at a natural 45 degree angle in the mouth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Unfortunately, I messed up the "decoration/lanyard attactment" on the horn & had to put it in the "ooops!" pile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Not sure what to tell you hand drilling, that's hard to do! Pilot holes, possibly several of them, might be the best method with high speed bits.

I use a drill press vice, and only occasionally bore with the hand drill. Usually the press over the vice. Forsner bits for toneboard or insert holes. Slowly, cleaning often. High speed bits for enclosed reed holes.

Will, I do like rainshadow says, start small and work your way up. I have a set of Black & Decker wood bits and a couple of regular Vermont Americans from Home DeadSpot that I use. Working without a vice really gnars up your hands(especially when you think you can stop the spinning once it catches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif). I strongly suggest a vise, super important tool, a must have. Antler is fun, I'm glad to see your having a go at it! Keep after it my man!!
Trashcan
DCC

i drill a 9/32 hole on center drill with unibit to 5/8 then i use a counter sink to get a nice clean hole. wear good glove's.i use a dewalt hand drill. be careful. when the shop is done i will use a drill press and vise.good luck. Rick

P1000435.jpg

Thanks for the tips fellas!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
R.S. & Trashcan:
Yeah, it would be real nice to have a vise. But then I'd just want a shed to put it in, & a bench to mount it to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I'm a true redneck, but even I don't want a vise in the front/living room! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
So far, I've managed to let go of the material before it can injure me too bad. The "variable speed" helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rick:
I hadn't thought of a counter-sink bit...THANKS!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
I'm a true redneck, but even I don't want a vise in the front/living room!

I hear ya brother. That would be silly when you have a perfectly good kitchen table to mount one to. I mean it's right near the ice box and piped in water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kitchen table? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Who has room in their kitchen for a table, what with the washer/dryer taking up half the space? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif [yep, I'm serious!] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Weasel, have you ever heard of a "Shotgun House"?
If you know what that is, then picture this...I live in a "Shotgun Cottage". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will I use High speed drill bits but I also use black and decker wood bits the one that I like they come 3 to a pack they have a flat bottom on them and are great for horns that have a good curve in them that a reg bit would just go straight through these you can go straight then put some pressure on them to go up down sideways you name it.
The one I got came in 1/2 3/8 and 3/4 they are great.

Andy

A wood auger bit works best, but recently I have figured out a way to sandblast the bone morrow out Leaving the antlers hollow, Why hollow you may ask,Put the lighting on the tips.

Back